• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asherah

Ellen Brown

Just doing some more of my random study today, I somehow ran into Asherah, who some assert to be God's wife. Going to 2 Kings 21, I read the background in my KJV, and found her name absent, instead referring to her as a craven image. Some of the other versions used her name.

In context, it seems as if Manasseh's activities were seen as evil, and taking her image into the Temple was a grave insult to God?

This is sort of a new story for me because it has been more than a long time since I last read the "Kings", which I hope to remedy. In this case, it seems that the KJV is more correct than some others.

It is mildly humorous to me that most of the time when "the knowledgable" are asked if God has a wife, they seem to sort of intellectually shuffle around and never give an answer. So, if there was no female model in the Universe before Adam and Eve, where did God get the idea for Eve? He could have just as easily made a slave and called him Joe.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Just doing some more of my random study today, I somehow ran into Asherah, who some assert to be God's wife. Going to 2 Kings 21, I read the background in my KJV, and found her name absent, instead referring to her as a craven image. Some of the other versions used her name.

In context, it seems as if Manasseh's activities were seen as evil, and taking her image into the Temple was a grave insult to God?

This is sort of a new story for me because it has been more than a long time since I last read the "Kings", which I hope to remedy. In this case, it seems that the KJV is more correct than some others.

It is mildly humorous to me that most of the time when "the knowledgable" are asked if God has a wife, they seem to sort of intellectually shuffle around and never give an answer. So, if there was no female model in the Universe before Adam and Eve, where did God get the idea for Eve? He could have just as easily made a slave and called him Joe.

I know this is a DIR, but I am going to suggest you read The Urantia Book for a fresh take on this entire Adam/Eve conundrum.

Thinking Homer

Understanding and challenging different worldviews
Asherah, or Ashtoreth, was the name of the chief female deity worshiped in ancient Syria, Phoenicia, and Canaan. The Phoenicians called her Astarte, the Assyrians worshiped her as Ishtar, and the Philistines had a temple of Asherah (1 Samuel 31:10). Because of Israel’s incomplete conquest of the land of Canaan, Asherah-worship survived and plagued Israel, starting as soon as Joshua was dead (Judges 2:13).

Asherah was represented by a limbless tree trunk planted in the ground. The trunk was usually carved into a symbolic representation of the goddess. Because of the association with carved trees, the places of Asherah worship were commonly called “groves,” and the Hebrew word “asherah” (plural, “asherim”) could refer either to the goddess or to a grove of trees. One of King Manasseh’s evil deeds was that he “took the carved Asherah pole he had made and put it in the temple” (2 Kings 21:7). Another translation of “carved Asherah pole” is “graven image of the grove” (KJV).

The Lord God, through Moses, forbade the worship of Asherah. The Law specified that a grove of trees was not to be near the altar of the Lord (Deuteronomy 16:21). Despite God’s clear instructions, Asherah-worship was a perennial problem in Israel. As Solomon slipped into idolatry, one of the pagan deities he brought into the kingdom was Asherah, called “the goddess of the Sidonians” (1 Kings 11:5, 33). Later, Jezebel made Asherah-worship even more prevalent, with 400 prophets of Asherah on the royal payroll (1 Kings 18:19). At times, Israel experienced revival, and notable crusades against Asherah-worship were led by Gideon (Judges 6:25-30), King Asa (1 Kings 15:13), and King Josiah (2 Kings 23:1-7).

Who was Asherah / Ashtoreth?

Does God have a wife? Allegorically speaking, He compared His relationship to the people of Israel as husband and wife:
'not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the Lord . ' Jeremiah 31:32

'Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready." It was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints. Then he said to me, "Write, 'Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.'" And he said to me, "These are true words of God." ' Revelation 19:7-9

In Hinduism, the depiction of a god and his wife is quite common (e.g. Vishnu and Lakshmi), but the closest thing you're going to get in Christianity is the Trinity. Where did God get the idea of a female partner? Interesting question... All I can say is, seeing the passages above, God highly values the relationship between a man and a woman, and considers it sacred.

nPeace

Veteran Member

Hi there Ellen.
You brought up a good topic imo.
I just wanted to know something, before I jump to conclusions, so that I can properly address your last question.

The last time we spoke, you said, I never told you I was a JW, but I got to thinking, you know Ellen didn't tell me anything about herself.
So I want to ask, do you believe in a creator - a supreme being?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Asherah, or Ashtoreth, was the name of the chief female deity worshiped in ancient Syria, Phoenicia, and Canaan. The Phoenicians called her Astarte, the Assyrians worshiped her as Ishtar, and the Philistines had a temple of Asherah (1 Samuel 31:10). Because of Israel’s incomplete conquest of the land of Canaan, Asherah-worship survived and plagued Israel, starting as soon as Joshua was dead (Judges 2:13).

Asherah was represented by a limbless tree trunk planted in the ground. The trunk was usually carved into a symbolic representation of the goddess. Because of the association with carved trees, the places of Asherah worship were commonly called “groves,” and the Hebrew word “asherah” (plural, “asherim”) could refer either to the goddess or to a grove of trees. One of King Manasseh’s evil deeds was that he “took the carved Asherah pole he had made and put it in the temple” (2 Kings 21:7). Another translation of “carved Asherah pole” is “graven image of the grove” (KJV).

The Lord God, through Moses, forbade the worship of Asherah. The Law specified that a grove of trees was not to be near the altar of the Lord (Deuteronomy 16:21). Despite God’s clear instructions, Asherah-worship was a perennial problem in Israel. As Solomon slipped into idolatry, one of the pagan deities he brought into the kingdom was Asherah, called “the goddess of the Sidonians” (1 Kings 11:5, 33). Later, Jezebel made Asherah-worship even more prevalent, with 400 prophets of Asherah on the royal payroll (1 Kings 18:19). At times, Israel experienced revival, and notable crusades against Asherah-worship were led by Gideon (Judges 6:25-30), King Asa (1 Kings 15:13), and King Josiah (2 Kings 23:1-7).

Does God have a wife? Allegorically speaking, He compared His relationship to the people of Israel as husband and wife:
'not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the Lord . ' Jeremiah 31:32

'Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready." It was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints. Then he said to me, "Write, 'Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.'" And he said to me, "These are true words of God." ' Revelation 19:7-9

In Hinduism, the depiction of a god and his wife is quite common (e.g. Vishnu and Lakshmi), but the closest thing you're going to get in Christianity is the Trinity. Where did God get the idea of a female partner? Interesting question... All I can say is, seeing the passages above, God highly values the relationship between a man and a woman, and considers it sacred.
Well researched. :thumbsup:

InChrist

Free4ever

How or why would God have or need a wife? The scriptures indicate the God is Spirit, eternal and complete, neither physically male nor female, as humans are. God is a spiritual being and does not possess physical characteristics. I would say God got the idea for Eve, just as He had the idea for Adam. Genesis states that God created humans in His image ...male and female (Gen. 1:27) This image, I believe, includes a mind, will, intellect, emotions, and moral capacity which God choose to most fully express through both men and women.

Ellen Brown

Hi there Ellen.
You brought up a good topic imo.
I just wanted to know something, before I jump to conclusions, so that I can properly address your last question.

The last time we spoke, you said, I never told you I was a JW, but I got to thinking, you know Ellen didn't tell me anything about herself.
So I want to ask, do you believe in a creator - a supreme being?

Hello again:

I don't care what religion you are, but it is helpful because I know what a lot of religions believe, so that increases understanding.

I consider myself an unaffiliated, Abrahamic Religionist. It means I believe in a Creator, and don't care what anyone calls him. I believe in Jesus Christ, and feel that there are a number of explanations to explain the stories about him. I favor the "Son of God" one but am not offended by other beliefs. To me, he is NOT the brother of satan. I won't let anyone stand between God and I except Jesus. No man has authority over me because of "the priesthood of the believer", spoken of in Hebrews. I support the 66 book KJV and have studied other versions and non-canonical books. I have studied the Quran. A large part of my theology is twisted by the past abuse of men.

Someone uses a Bible that states, "And the Black Man shall be his henchman". Don't even go there.

As to Asherah, my question was mainly about the differences in the versions of the Bible.

Ellen Brown

How or why would God have or need a wife? The scriptures indicate the God is Spirit, eternal and complete, neither physically male nor female, as humans are. God is a spiritual being and does not possess physical characteristics. I would say God got the idea for Eve, just as He had the idea for Adam. Genesis states that God created humans in His image ...male and female (Gen. 1:27) This image, I believe, includes a mind, will, intellect, emotions, and moral capacity which God choose to most fully express through both men and women.

Goodness!!! I gave you the book I was referring to. You DO have the option of opening the damned book and reading for yourself !!! Flash of Anger "OFF".

nPeace

Veteran Member
Hello again:

I don't care what religion you are, but it is helpful because I know what a lot of religions believe, so that increases understanding.

I consider myself an unaffiliated, Abrahamic Religionist. It means I believe in a Creator, and don't care what anyone calls him. I believe in Jesus Christ, and feel that there are a number of explanations to explain the stories about him. I favor the "Son of God" one but am not offended by other beliefs. To me, he is NOT the brother of satan. I won't let anyone stand between God and I except Jesus. No man has authority over me because of "the priesthood of the believer", spoken of in Hebrews. I support the 66 book KJV and have studied other versions and non-canonical books. I have studied the Quran. A large part of my theology is twisted by the past abuse of men.

Someone uses a Bible that states, "And the Black Man shall be his henchman". Don't even go there.

As to Asherah, my question was mainly about the differences in the versions of the Bible.
Wow. You shared more than I expected. Thanks for sharing.
All the best in your search.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. I think all of us have had many of our own - experiences, I mean... not men.

Why I asked is because you asked where God got the idea for Eve, but would that not mean you would also have to ask where God got the idea of animals, the earth etc.?
It's an interesting question, I think, but I like how apostle Paul put it.
Romans 11:33-36
33O the depth of God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How unsearchable his judgments are and beyond tracing out his ways are! 34For “who has come to know Jehovah’s mind, or who has become his adviser?” 35 Or, “who has first given to him, so that it must be repaid to him?” 36 Because from him and by him and for him are all things. To him be the glory forever. Amen.

Trying to get in the mind of God imo, is a thrilling experience, but we will never come close to comprehending. It is too much for us to fathom... imo.

On Asherah
Different translations use either the name or meaning - some say Asherah, some say sacred pole, or/and painted tree. It was an upright limbless tree that probably to some represented a phallis.

Last edited:

Ellen Brown

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but why are you angry?

I'm sorry. No excuses. I was being far less than kind.

It is in 2 Kings 21 and in several versions, the name Asherah is used as the name of God's wife, while in the King James, it is merely "a craven image".

InChrist

Free4ever
I'm sorry. No excuses. I was being far less than kind.

It is in 2 Kings 21 and in several versions, the name Asherah is used as the name of God's wife, while in the King James, it is merely "a craven image".
Oh, I was not aware that any versions used the name of Asherah as the name of God's wife or that any versions even indicated God had a wife. I thought the references to Asherah in 2 Kings and elsewhere were to the Asherah pole part of the detestable practices of the nations the Lord had driven out before the Israelites.

74x12

God does have a wife but it's not a goddess. It's Israel/the church. That's the only wife of God.