• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ashamed to be an American

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
story Today is the funeral of a soldier killed in Iraq who just happens to be gay. A church from Kansas is going to be there to protest, saying that it's America's stance on pro gay is Provoking God's rath. Sick.really sick. :mad:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Wait - the article doesn't say the soldier was gay. The reason Phelps and his anti-gay gang are protesting the funeral is because they say that "American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays".

Too mad to comment. :mad:

A

angellous_evangellous

jeffrey said:
I think it would be more appropriate to be ashamed to be a Krisitian in Kansas.

EDIT: Ok, we've all seen this guy before. It's another activity of the anti-Christ Fred Phelps of Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas http://www.godhatesfags.com/main/aboutwbc.html

However much we may dislike Christian fundamentalists, this guy is not representative of them. He is to be classified with the KKK and Nazis.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I couldn't follow your link, but my guess is that's the good Rev. Phelps church. I think it's called Westboro Baptist. If so, he's up to the same old stuff he's always been up to. He showed up at Mathew Shepard's funeral with signs to the effect that Shepard was going to hell for being gay. He showed up in my town protesting a local school's Gay/Straight Alliance Club. During the protest, members of his church stood on and spit on the American flag (I was in the counter protest and witnessed that first hand). I think Phelps is on record calling for the righteous murder of gays. The man's hatred knows no limits. A very sick person.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
Wait - the article doesn't say the soldier was gay. The reason Phelps and his anti-gay gang are protesting the funeral is because they say that "American soldiers are being killed in Iraq as vengeance from God for protecting a country that harbors gays".

Too mad to comment. :mad:
Apart from anything, this guy gave his life for the ones protesting against him.........there's just nothing to say, apart from what you have said, Maize.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Jeff, you shouldn't be ashamed to be an American because of Phelps and his antics. He no more represents Amercian ideals than he does Christian ones.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Sunstone you are correct. Evansville, where this is taking place, is just about 30 miles away and is where I work. I asked Michel to try and get the link to work. If you google the indy star paper. you'll find the piece there. And my wife just text me to say Maize is right, the soldier was not gay.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
Jeff, you shouldn't be ashamed to be an American because of Phelps and his antics. He no more represents Amercian ideals than he does Christian ones.
I agree; you can't blame a whole nation because of a group of biggots; however, you seem to be rather heavily laden with biggots........

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Could get nasty. War vets will be there to try and shield the funeral. Lots of police. It's all over the news, my wife says.

SoyLeche

meh...
If you really want to protest homosexuality, I guess you have a right to. But to do it at a funeral is just sick.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
jeffrey said:
Could get nasty. War vets will be there to try and shield the funeral. Lots of police. It's all over the news, my wife says.
This guy Phelps always gets more press than his ideas deserve. When he came to Colorado Springs, only about 20 of his followers showed up, but it made every news channel and newspaper in town.

Personally, I'd be curious to see a CAT Scan of his brain. I'm sure that much of it doesn't work.

A

angellous_evangellous

This pic is on the Patriot Gaurd Riders website, the guys that are going to protect the family.

listpics.asp
http://test.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=dl&m=tn&f=\TN_Fred_Phelps_2.jpg

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Maize said:
Phelps' idea of being pro-gay: not killing homosexuals on sight.
That sounds like an exaggeration...until you've read some of his comments. In actuality, it's probably right on the mark.