• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ash Wednesday

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Last edited:

pearl

I could not find a more recent post on ash Wednesday. On a TV news report there was a sort of explanation that was quite misleading stating that it was a day marked by 'Catholics and some Christians'. This jumped out at me. Does anyone else see the problem whit this?

Regiomontanus

I could not find a more recent post on ash Wednesday. On a TV news report there was a sort of explanation that was quite misleading stating that it was a day marked by 'Catholics and some Christians'. This jumped out at me. Does anyone else see the problem whit this?

Catholic haters!

pearl

Catholic haters!

I think that is going to far, more chalk it up to general ignorance which does not relate Catholic with Christian. To be correct the article ought to have read 'other' Christians. Its a reminder that the Catholic Church is a Church of immigrants in a Protestant country.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
I think that is going to far, more chalk it up to general ignorance which does not relate Catholic with Christian. To be correct the article ought to have read 'other' Christians. Its a reminder that the Catholic Church is a Church of immigrants in a Protestant country.

Well, yes and no. Outside the 13 colonies, don't forget about the French, Spanish, and Portuguese colonial presence.

Edit: Oh, and then Maryland.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I wouldn't call the U.S. a "Protestant country".

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
In many ways, it still is.
It's definitely more Protestant than Catholic around here.

I never will forget someone (not anyone here) telling me that where I am moving to Ohio is definitely anti Catholic because she had ONE anti Catholic something or other said to her ONE TIME. My gosh, I hear anti Catholic stuff around here (NE Texas) just about every single day. Hundreds and hundreds, probably thousands of things said around me, to me, whatever. Mostly by "God fearing" Baptists.

That's OK. I call the huge Baptist church in town Six Flags Over Jesus.

Last edited:

Regiomontanus

It's definitely more Protestant than Catholic around here.

I never will forget someone (not anyone here) telling me that where I am moving to Ohio is definitely anti Catholic because she had ONE anti Catholic something or other said to her ONE TIME. My gosh, I hear anti Catholic stuff around here (NE Texas) just about every single day. Hundreds and hundreds, probably thousands of things said around me, to me, whatever. Mostly by "God fearing" Baptists.

That's OK. I call the huge Baptist church in town Six Flags Over Jesus.

Out here in 'fly over country' there is not much love for Catholicism (and forget about Eastern Orthodox - you might as well be a Martian). But look at how evangelical protestantism is on the rise in right-wing politics today. The Speaker of the House, Johnson, is a good example. And the Christian Nationalism of which he is a part essentially controls the GOP today.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Out here in 'fly over country' there is not much love for Catholicism (and forget about Eastern Orthodox - you might as well be a Martian). But look at how evangelical protestantism is on the rise in right-wing politics today. The Speaker of the House, Johnson, is a good example. And the Christian Nationalism of which he is a part essentially controls the GOP today.
I agree with him on some issues but not all (for instance, I think it's ridiculous to die on the hill of homophobia - let consenting adults do whatever they want with other consenting adults basically).

I think all politicians are pretty scary people.

Regiomontanus

I agree with him on some issues but not all (for instance, I think it's ridiculous to die on the hill of homophobia - let consenting adults do whatever they want with other consenting adults basically).

I think all politicians are pretty scary people.

Yes, everyone has some good traits. I am not trying to demonize him, just pointing out the power and strength of (especially fundamentalist) Protestantism in America today.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

pearl

wouldn't call the U.S. a "Protestant country".

Strictly speaking, no, there are many religions. The point I was trying to make is that it is often assumed that Catholics are not Christians because
the Catholic Church is a church of immigrants. I believe that even among Catholics we did not always refer ourselves as Christians, becoming popular post Vat II.