• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asexuality Terms to Know.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Asexual is a medical term not cultural.
Heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual are medical terms.

Based on history and common motives etc lesbian, gay, queer, bisexual (used in both) at the time are cultural terms. LGBTQ

Like bisexual, asexual can be used as a cultural term and medical term (per definition). Everyone has their own reason to use terms that they identify. Personally, I don't see asexual as a cultural term. That's just me.

Maybe Ace? I don't know. The division really throws outsiders off.

Is that online? I only heard of those terms online. Outside on t.v., movies, in person, etc, even to the older gay community that would make us scratch our heads.

Since our experiences are so mixed, what name can we use that would define our experiences in respect to who we are not just who and how we are attracted to someone?

Asexual, bisexual, hetero, homo, pansexual, are all medical terms. It defines someone's attraction or lack of attraction to another person(s). If it has to do with biological attraction, it is medical. If it's based on culture, it is not.

In my opinion, there is a difference between gay and straight and homosexual and heterosexual. Outside these two terms, maybe cultural and medical terms overlap. Bisexual is used as cultural (LGBTQ) and medical hetero,homo,bisexual, pansexual, etc. I guess nowadays asexual works like bisexual in that the two words overlap, I'm not sure.

It does sound confusing when words are so divided it makes youth coming out very confused more about labels as a definition of their experiences. That's just me. It makes things more confusing. When I was growing up, it was LGBT. I didn't hear about Q until later, but I think it meaning Questioning is somewhat modern.

I don't know. It's just my opinion.
I agree with a lot of what you wrote and I have quite a bit of thinking to do.Thank you for stating your opinion.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I agree with a lot of what you wrote and I have quite a bit of thinking to do.Thank you for stating your opinion.
I however do disagree with asexuality not being a cultural term.I think like bisexual it could be used as both.Edit: I reread your post I see what you mean now.My apologizes.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I however do disagree with asexuality not being a cultural term.I think like bisexual it could be used as both.Edit: I reread your post I see what you mean now.My apologizes.

Thanks. Yeah. I've always had little pet peeves on what's cultural and what's not. In the end, it depends on the person and their experiences. I think the division of LGBTQ will still confuse me. I know I have multiple experiences and can call myself a variant of names under sexuality. After awhile, one or two names kinda wraps up the rest.

Even religion works the same way. Take a Pagan. Humanist. Agnostic Atheist. Theist leaning. Panentheist. Christian.

Everyone has various experiences, but in my opinion, there are some ways to summarize a good bulk of it without depreciating the experiences you have under that one or two said label.