• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asexuality Terms to Know.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Ok. So like the asexual community has some terms and words that are commonly used. If were to spend time learning about asexuals or talking on AVEN there are a few terms you would need to know. Here are some:
Basic Terminology about Asexuality
Asexual: 1.Someone who does not experience sexual attraction towards anyone regardless of gender 2.Someone does not experience sexual attraction at all.3.Someone on the so called asexual spectrum. Also called ace.
Sexual attraction: A desire to have sex or sexual contact with someone or something.More psychological rather then physiological.
Sexual arousal: A physiological response the body has in anticipation of, before, during or after sex. Could be caused by sexual attraction but doesn't have to be. Sometimes it's just caused by continuous touching or stimulation. Some asexuals can experience sexual arousal but like all asexuals do not experience sexual attraction to anyone.
Romantic attraction: A feeling that leads to the desire to have a romantic relationship with someone. Someone who is aromantic aka aro has no romantic attraction. One can be asexual but not aromantic or they could be both.
Aesthetic attraction: Finding someone physically attractitive as in they look nice/hot/fine etc...Asexuals can have aesthetic attraction towards people through some do not.
Platonic attraction: The desire to have a relationship that is not romantic but isn't sexual. Like a friendship. Asexuals can and do experience platonic attraction. I have not heard of anyone who has never felt platonic attraction.
Sensual attraction: The desire to physically be with someone but not sexually. Some ways this is acted out is through kissing,cuddling and hugging. Some asexuals experience this some do not.
Alterous: Attraction that is neither romantic or platonic but somewhere in the middle of the two. Some asexuals experience it some do not.
Libido- 1.A desire to feel sexual pleasure. 2.A sex drive. Now this is a little complicated to understand for some people but some asexuals do have a sex drive. It's just not aimed at anyone or anything.
Non-libidoist- Someone who does not have a libido thus does not have any sexual urges.
Asexual spectrum- A concept that means that asexuality exists in a spectrum ranging from no sexual attraction to very little sexual attraction.Some debate on whether it exists.
Allosexual/sexual-someone who experiences sexual attraction
Terms That Fall Under The Asexual Spectrum:
Demisexual- someone who can't experience sexual attraction until an emotional bond has been formed.This is different then waiting until you get to know a person better to have sex with them.
Fraysexual-Also called a reverse demi.The person is only attracted to strangers as soon as they get to know a person the attraction disappears.
Gray-ace/grayasexual/graysexual/grey-ace/greyasexual/greysexual: 1.Someone who very rarely feels sexual attraction or if they do experience sexual attract it's so low that they hardly ever act on it.2.Someone who only feels sexual attraction under specific circumstances.
Abrosexual-Someone whose sexual attraction changes with time.One day they may solely be homosexual the next asexual, the next hetrosexual. Some say that they should never be included under the umbrella while others say they should.Then again some asexuals say the asexual umbrella does not exist...
Lithosexual-Someone who doesn't want sexual attraction returned.Or they experience sexual attraction but as soon as it's returned it's gone.
Terms the asexual community invented or describes asexuals:
Ace of Hearts- A romantic asexual.
Ace of spades-An aromantic asexual
Ace of Clubs-Someone who is questioning their romantic orientation.
Ace of Dimonds- Someone in the asexual spectrum but isn't 100% asexual.Like a demisexual.
Amoeba- An old term for asexuals that isn't used as often. A common stupid question aces get is Are you a plant/amoeba. It's a joke.
Group X- Not a common term. Refers to Alfred's Kinsley's studies of human sexuality. He called people who claimed to not engage in sexual activity Group X.
Sex-repulsed/sex-adverse/sex-negative:: Someone who is grossed out by sex.
Sex-positive-Someone who is ok with sex. Asexuals who are sex-positive may not feel sexual attract but are ok having sex to please their romantic partners or because it's expected of them.
Sex-neutral/sex-indifferent: Someone who doesn't really hate nor is ok with sex just meh.
Touch-adverse/touch-repulse-Someone who doesn't want to be touched in any way.Sexually or not.
Ace-rings-A black ring worn by some who are ace.It's worn on the right hand on the middle finger.
QPR(Queerplatonic relationship)-A form of platonic relationship that is neither sexual or romantic.See here: Queerplatonic
Common Asexual Custom:
On Aven it's a common custom to offer cake to newbies on the forum.

Done.Probably forgot a few.Tell me if you want me to do one on terms in the aromantic community.
Song about asexuality:

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Doesn't such a glossary seem a bit excessive, redundant, and convoluted?
I can see that people of different types will use
primarily the jargon which relates to themselves.
It's like engineers who have so many terms to
describe failure. (We cause so many different kinds.)

VoidCat

I can see that people of different types will use
primarily the jargon which relates to themselves.
It's like engineers who have so many terms to
describe failure. (We cause so many different kinds.)
There would be less terms if sexual people would stop asking asexuals stupid questions such as But you just said that guy looked cute?!How can you see that and not experience sexual attraction???or my favorite: Are you a plant???

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There would be less terms if sexual people would stop asking asexuals stupid questions such as But you just said that guy looked cute?!How can you see that and not experience sexual attraction???or my favorite: Are you a plant???
I & everyone will not to give up asking stupid questions.
(It's a basic human right.)
Besides, every question, be it dumb or cromulent, is an
opportunity to explain & enlighten. It's like people asking
me why we atheists don't rob & rape. I can set their mind
at ease by explaining how we believe it's evil.

VoidCat

I & everyone will not to give up asking stupid questions.
(It's a basic human right.)
Besides, every question, be it dumb or cromulent, is an
opportunity to explain & enlighten.
Which is why I made this post. To send to people who need me to enlighten them. We all ask stupid questions and I will not disrespect that right.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Ok. So like the asexual community has some terms and words that are commonly used. If were to spend time learning about asexuals or talking on AVEN there are a few terms you would need to know. Here are some:

Basic Terminology about Asexuality

Asexual: 1.Someone who does not experience sexual attraction towards anyone regardless of gender 2.Someone does not experience sexual attraction at all.3.Someone on the so called asexual spectrum. Also called ace.

Sexual attraction: A desire to have sex or sexual contact with someone or something.More psychological rather then physiological.

Sexual arousal: A physiological response the body has in anticipation of, before, during or after sex. Could be caused by sexual attraction but doesn't have to be. Sometimes it's just caused by continuous touching or stimulation. Some asexuals can experience sexual arousal but like all asexuals do not experience sexual attraction to anyone.

Romantic attraction: A feeling that leads to the desire to have a romantic relationship with someone. Someone who is aromantic aka aro has no romantic attraction. One can be asexual but not aromantic or they could be both.

Aesthetic attraction: Finding someone physically attractitive as in they look nice/hot/fine etc...Asexuals can have aesthetic attraction towards people through some do not.

Platonic attraction: The desire to have a relationship that is not romantic but isn't sexual. Like a friendship. Asexuals can and do experience platonic attraction. I have not heard of anyone who has never felt platonic attraction.

Sensual attraction: The desire to physically be with someone but not sexually. Some ways this is acted out is through kissing,cuddling and hugging. Some asexuals experience this some do not.

Alterous: Attraction that is neither romantic or platonic but somewhere in the middle of the two. Some asexuals experience it some do not.

Libido- 1.A desire to feel sexual pleasure. 2.A sex drive. Now this is a little complicated to understand for some people but some asexuals do have a sex drive. It's just not aimed at anyone or anything.

Non-libidoist- Someone who does not have a libido thus does not have any sexual urges.

Asexual spectrum- A concept that means that asexuality exists in a spectrum ranging from no sexual attraction to very little sexual
attraction.Some debate on whether it exists.

Demisexual- someone who can't experience sexual attraction until an emotional bond has been formed.This is different then waiting until you get to know a person better to have sex with them.

Fraysexual-Also called a reverse demi.The person is only attracted to strangers as soon as they get to know a person the attraction disappears.

Gray-ace/grayasexual/graysexual/grey-ace/greyasexual/greysexual: 1.Someone who very rarely feels sexual attraction or if they do experience sexual attract it's so low that they hardly ever act on it.2.Someone who only feels sexual attraction under specific circumstances.

Abrosexual-Someone whose sexual attraction changes with time.One day they may solely be homosexual the next asexual, the next hetrosexual. Some say that they should never be included under the umbrella while others say they should.Then again some asexuals say the asexual umbrella does not exist...

Lithosexual-Someone who doesn't want sexual attraction returned.Or they experience sexual attraction but as soon as it's returned it's gone.

Ace of Hearts- A romantic asexual.
Ace of spades-An aromantic asexual
Ace of Clubs-Someone who is questioning their romantic orientation.
Ace of Dimonds- Someone in the asexual spectrum but isn't 100% asexual.Like a demisexual.

Amoeba- An old term for asexuals that isn't used as often. A common stupid question aces get is Are you a plant/amoeba. It's a joke.
Group X- Not a common term. Refers to Alfred's Kinsley's studies of human sexuality. He called people who claimed to not engage in sexual activity Group X.

Sex-repulsed/sex-adverse/sex-negative:: Someone who is grossed out by sex.

Sex-positive-Someone who is ok with sex. Asexuals who are sex-positive may not feel sexual attract but are ok having sex to please their romantic partners or because it's expected of them.

Sex-neutral/sex-indifferent: Someone who doesn't really hate nor is ok with sex just meh.

Touch-adverse/touch-repulse-Someone who doesn't want to be touched in any way.Sexually or not.

Ace-rings-A black ring worn by some who are ace.It's worn on the right hand on the middle finger.

QPR(Queerplatonic relationship)-A form of platonic relationship that is neither sexual or romantic.See here: Queerplatonic

Common Asexual Custom:

On Aven it's a common custom to offer cake to newbies on the forum.

Done.Probably forgot a few.Tell me if you want me to do one on terms in the aromantic community.

Song about asexuality:

Why the divisions?

Some of these are medical related. I don't see the reason why these words are important in the grand skim of things; because words like heterosexual an asexual aren't cultural words.

The asexual spectrum, why the division?

I'm lesbian, and I don't even like that word. Just call me a gay woman (i.e. a gay man, bi woman, asexual man, or straight woman) and call it a day.

Do people actually use Lithosexual and Fraysexual as cultural terms?

A lot of "gay terms" aren't around just because of our sexuality; it's much deeper than that. I know we can name ourselves in what name we feel most comfortable, but how does naming and learning about these words unique from other medical terms like heterosexual?

If you understand where I'm coming from?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Which is why I made this post. To send to people who need me to enlighten them. We all ask stupid questions and I will not disrespect that right.
I also reserve the right to forget the terms.
(Instead of a photographic memory, I have a colander memory.)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
There would be less terms if sexual people would stop asking asexuals stupid questions
I try never to ask anybody questions about stuff that is personal and doesn't affect me in the slightest.
But they tell me anyway.

I have had pedophiles assume that because I am gay I am ok with their sexual weirdness. Guess what.

I couldn't care less about sex that people freely choose not to engage in. But, for some reason, people start threads about it.
Tom

VoidCat

Why the divisions?

Some of these are medical related. I don't see the reason why these words are important in the grand skim of things; because words like heterosexual an asexual aren't cultural words.

I'm lesbian, and I don't even like that word. Just call me a gay woman (i.e. a gay man, bi woman, asexual man, or straight woman) and call it a day.

A lot of "gay terms" aren't around just because of our sexuality; it's much deeper than that. I know we can name ourselves in what name we feel most comfortable, but how does naming and learning about these words unique from other medical terms like heterosexual?

Why the divisions?
First most asexuals do not have medical problems...The division about the asexual spectrum and whether it exists or not...I don't get involved in the argument but some feel that they relate more to the asexual community then the sexual community so some felt it was ok to create it into a spectrum just like sexuality is a spectrum to help out. And other feel that asexuality is not a spectrum.It's not really cultural terms just terms that are thrown around in the asexual community to help with describing their situations and feelings. And some are useful.
Yes some use Fraysexual and lithosexual.Not all that use those feel they need to be included in the asexual umbrella. Most people don't even know what it means and the only reason most use it is so they feel comfortable knowing there is a term to describe their experiences.
I don't feel these are medical terms. I mean some maybe but most are social terms.The 5 under that heading are not in my opinion. Some people reject labels...But these terms do help some with self-understanding and help some feel comfortable knowing that they aren't alone someone experiences the same things they do and they take comfort in the fact the term exists. Does this makes sense or not? The terms could also help sexologists with research when they look farther into asexuality.I hope I answered your question if not then please tell me so.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
First most asexuals do not have medical problems...The division about the asexual spectrum and whether it exists or not...I don't get involved in the argument but some feel that they relate more to the asexual community then the sexual community so some felt it was ok to create it into a spectrum just like sexuality is a spectrum to help out. And other feel that asexuality is not a spectrum.It's not really cultural terms just terms that are thrown around in the asexual community to help with describing their situations and feelings. And some are useful. Yes some use Fraysexual and lithosexual.Not all that use those feel they need to be included in the asexual umbrella. Most people don't even know what it means and the only reason most use it is so they feel comfortable knowing there is a term to describe their experiences. And I don't feel these are medical terms. I mean some maybe but most are social terms.The 5 under that heading are not in my opinion. Some people reject labels...But these terms do help some with self-understanding and help some feel comfortable knowing that they aren't alone someone experiences the same things they do and they take comfort in the fact the term exists. Does this makes sense or not? The terms could also help sexologists with research when they look farther into asexuality.I hope I answered your question if not then please tell me so.

Can you split that up.

VoidCat

I try never to ask anybody questions about stuff that is personal and doesn't affect me in the slightest.
But they tell me anyway.

I have had pedophiles assume that because I am gay I am ok with their sexual weirdness. Guess what.

I couldn't care less about sex that people freely choose not to engage in. But, for some reason, people start threads about it.
Tom
I started this thread to bring awareness. Most people know nothing about asexuality.And I am ok that you don't really care but this could help some people so I posted it.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why the divisions?Some of these are medical related. I don't see the reason why these words are important in the grand skim of things; because words like heterosexual an asexual aren't cultural words.​

First most asexuals do not have medical problems...The division about the asexual spectrum and whether it exists or not...I don't get involved in the argument but some feel that they relate more to the asexual community then the sexual community so some felt it was ok to create it into a spectrum just like sexuality is a spectrum to help out. And other feel that asexuality is not a spectrum.It's not really cultural terms just terms that are thrown around in the asexual community to help with describing their situations and feelings. And some are useful.

Asexual is a medical term not cultural.
Heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual are medical terms.

Based on history and common motives etc lesbian, gay, queer, bisexual (used in both) at the time are cultural terms. LGBTQ

Like bisexual, asexual can be used as a cultural term and medical term (per definition). Everyone has their own reason to use terms that they identify. Personally, I don't see asexual as a cultural term. That's just me.

Maybe Ace? I don't know. The division really throws outsiders off.

Yes some use Fraysexual and lithosexual.Not all that use those feel they need to be included in the asexual umbrella. Most people don't even know what it means and the only reason most use it is so they feel comfortable knowing there is a term to describe their experiences.

Is that online? I only heard of those terms online. Outside on t.v., movies, in person, etc, even to the older gay community that would make us scratch our heads.

Since our experiences are so mixed, what name can we use that would define our experiences in respect to who we are not just who and how we are attracted to someone?

A lot of "gay terms" aren't around just because of our sexuality; it's much deeper than that. I know we can name ourselves in what name we feel most comfortable, but how does naming and learning about these words unique from other medical terms like heterosexual?If you understand where I'm coming from?​

I don't feel these are medical terms. I mean some maybe but most are social terms.The 5 under that heading are not in my opinion. Some people reject labels...But these terms do help some with self-understanding and help some feel comfortable knowing that they aren't alone someone experiences the same things they do and they take comfort in the fact the term exists. Does this makes sense or not? The terms could also help sexologists with research when they look farther into asexuality.I hope I answered your question if not then please tell me so.

Asexual, bisexual, hetero, homo, pansexual, are all medical terms. It defines someone's attraction or lack of attraction to another person(s). If it has to do with biological attraction, it is medical. If it's based on culture, it is not.

In my opinion, there is a difference between gay and straight and homosexual and heterosexual. Outside these two terms, maybe cultural and medical terms overlap. Bisexual is used as cultural (LGBTQ) and medical hetero,homo,bisexual, pansexual, etc. I guess nowadays asexual works like bisexual in that the two words overlap, I'm not sure.

It does sound confusing when words are so divided it makes youth coming out very confused more about labels as a definition of their experiences. That's just me. It makes things more confusing. When I was growing up, it was LGBT. I didn't hear about Q until later, but I think it meaning Questioning is somewhat modern.

I don't know. It's just my opinion.