• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As we contend with Covid-19

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
'Splain me something if you can and will. I know the propensity of humans to hoard during panics, but "toilet paper"? Why? I'm sure there's a simple explanation for it, but I just can't figure it out.
TP is much more comfortable & convenient than newspapers.
That's why no one is hoarding the latter.

Terry Sampson

TP is much more comfortable & convenient than newspapers.
Sez who?

IMG_2268.JPG

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
We had to go to Costco yesterday where we encountered long lines and short tempers as people tried (some desperately) to stock up on water and toilet paper. These folks are acting out of a tangible and warranted concern.

Dismissiveness is a pretty common coping mechanism and it's tempting to mock them, but empathy might better serve us.

And now for the etymological pun for the day: Don't let the panic get your goat. (sorry)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Eventually, as stocks are replenished, people will have stocked up.
Then the lines & angst in stores will ease.
Money back guarantee on that.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
London shopper mugged for toilet paper as coronavirus panic leaves shelves ransacked

Fortunately I haven't seen anything like this around here (or the empty shelves), and one might consider that for every two items one takes, it is depriving someone else of having one. :oops:

Panic buying is actually quite selfish, and IMO supermarkets should be more proactive in rationing what people can buy. It's particularly hard on people with a limited income, who can't afford to stockpile in the first place.

Cooky

Veteran Member
My hope is for universal forgiveness. Debt and all. A total, global jubilee. Empty the prisons around the world and hit the reset button for humanity and global peace.

Let's start over.

Cooky

Veteran Member
We had to go to Costco yesterday where we encountered long lines and short tempers as people tried (some desperately) to stock up on water and toilet paper. These folks are acting out of a tangible and warranted concern.

Dismissiveness is a pretty common coping mechanism and it's tempting to mock them, but empathy might better serve us.

And now for the etymological pun for the day: Don't let the panic get your goat. (sorry)

Let's empty our ignore lists today, and begin again. :redapple::chickenleg::cocktail:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Panic buying is actually quite selfish, and IMO supermarkets should be more proactive in rationing what people can buy. It's particularly hard on people with a limited income, who can't afford to stockpile in the first place.
That's a good reason for all to stockpile before there's any crisis or panic.
It's cheap enuf for even the poor to do it .

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Supermarkets have already started rationing of some items it seems. I think I got an e-mail about panic buying, but perhaps sent out to all online customers, because I ordered some heavy items (as I usually do), like wine, beer, etc., and obviously buying quite a quantity rather than paying for delivery with more often items. Not as if wine is going to go off. :D

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Basic information about the virus such as its characteristics and incubation period: Features, Evaluation and Treatment Coronavirus (COVID-19) - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

From that link: "Based on data from the first cases in Wuhan and investigations conducted by the China CDC and local CDCs, the incubation time could be generally within 3 to 7 days and up to 2 weeks as the longest time from infection to symptoms was 12.5 days (95% CI, 9.2 to 18)."

That is a long, long incubation period. Its sinister since you can be unknowingly infecting people for weeks.

also from the nih.gov site:

The severity is described in the section "History and Physical." As you can see there, the symptoms can be drastically unbearable for some people. This may only affect those with weakened immune systems but is not limited to them alone. You could be unlucky enough that you will get hit badly even with a strong immune system. Among the symptoms are possible sepsis and respiratory failure. Sepsis is painful and debilitating even if you survive it. Respiratory failure is not nearly as painful but is less survivable (obviously).

My comments about alternatives to toilet paper and the situation in my rural community:
I have a couple of recommendations for you folks that I have not seen posted, yet. If you run out of TP because of this strange hoarding of TP: First of all, get some Witch Hazel. If you have paper towels you can make wet wipes with this. (Don't flush paper towels if you can avoid doing so. They cause a little bit of trouble downstream for the water department, but if you have no alternative you can.) Witch Hazel can be used to clean your face and hands without drying them out. You should have some of this around and if not you can buy it at many places. A bottle of this can be stretched a long way and is not bad for the environment and much less harsh for your skin than hand cleaner or alcohol.

There are other, better ways, too, to clean your tush without TP or any paper at all. TP is a compromise not the ultimate tush cleaner. The truth is you ought to be using a bidet. If you need a portable bidet, try using a (unused, clean) garden sprayer that you fill with water and pump up to pressure. Combine this with a small squeegee, and you'll be the cleanest person around. You can spray your tush cleaner than TP will ever get it. If that idea annoys you try what ancient people have done. Ancient people have used natural sponges and running water, and this should still work in modern times as long as you rinse and sterilize your sponges in between uses. Large leaves and water work fine, too, and leaves are both biodegradable and free of charge. Of course you can use crumple up paper from books and magazines, but this should be your last option. You take the paper in your dry hands and crumple it repeatedly to soften it enough to wipe your tush.

For those using isopropyl to clean I have heard that 70% is actually better than higher percentages. The higher percentages are for cleaning things that shouldn't get wet, but for everything else such as tabletops and skin the 70% is very effective and is easier on the skin. No, I am not suggesting that you use it on your tush. Alcohol will hurt it. Witch hazel on a towel or cloth is ok though. Like I said above, just get some Witch Hazel. It will last a long time, and you can use it to make your own wet wipes from paper towels.

So far my local community seems unaffected, and I will try not to infect anyone. I don't think I can avoid catching this when it comes to town, so I feel like I'd rather get it over with and get my immune system exposed. I don't think I can trust the people around me not to give it to me. In particular I will likely catch it as a gas station or shopping area or from a relative. I'll increase my hand washing and try not to get it. It seems like I am as unlikely to die from C-19 as I am from the many other viruses going around which I get in spite of my isolation. I think it will eventually pass through me no matter what, but it pays to review the particulars of the illness and to consider its seriousness and to be aware if its incubation period. My main concern should be not to infect other people, particularly my older relatives and neighbors some of whom are at risk.

A Vestigial Mote

Sure, but where are these leaves going when you're done with them?
Bury them. Too inconvenient? I bet it is.

And I'm sure most people would rather not deal with a hamper full of ****ty wash cloths. Of course people will survive and of course there are alternatives, but I can see why people would rather stock up than go those routes.
My ultimate point wasn't the issue with stocking up... it's where the priorities seem to lie in this activity of stocking up.

A Vestigial Mote

I think I did see diarrhoea as one of the symptoms in at least one report, so perhaps from this?
Hmmm... I think that would be mostly for anyone who already had the virus, or knew they had a high potential for infection. But even around my area, the stores have no stock, and can't keep it. I live in a mostly rural small town setting, and the only known/reported case of the virus in the vicinity was in a city more than an hour away.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
My hope is for universal forgiveness. Debt and all. A total, global jubilee. Empty the prisons around the world and hit the reset button for humanity and global peace.

Let's start over.

A lovely sentiment, but I don't think releasing violent, unrehabilitated prisoners back into society is a good idea.