• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As Urgent As COVID

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Climate Change is an emergency, that is more serious then CoV is. Let's fix this ****.

https://phys.org/news/2020-11-climate-bigger-threat-covid-red.html

I agree that it should be fixed, although considering how much resistance and defiance there is to many of the COVID guidelines, I wonder how much the general public will really cooperate. If they think that wearing masks and avoiding large public gatherings are such a horrible inconvenience, how willing would they be to drive less, eat less, curtail their use of luxuries and electronic conveniences, avoid unnecessary travel, have fewer children, etc.?

2/3 of the world's population are only now starting to acquire some of these luxuries, and they want more - or at least as much as we have in the West. That's the real dilemma that we're facing here. I can't say that I would blame them for wanting the same things we have, even basic things like quality housing with central air conditioning. Or things like cars and superhighways.

People want the same things that we have, and many of them don't seem to care if they have to burn down the entire Amazon rainforest to get it.

And for those who already have it - they won't give it up that easily. And because they mostly support capitalism, they support a global economic system which would open up markets and trade in these deprived areas and find ways to get all that stuff to them (which is happening anyway). All these sweatshops in the developing world - soon they might have enough to buy air conditioners so they won't sweat as much.

Moreover, in our own culture, consumerism and keeping up with the Joneses has compelled people to want more and more, so we're locked in a vicious cycle.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Did you read nothing I wrote?
I read the post I responded to,
Or like others here you’re just picking and choosing? Do you honestly believe that humans can cause a climate change on the scale of the one 250 million years ago, and extinctions rivaling the past five over the past 500 million years? C’mon now. There’s that human hubris.
It does indeed appear possible, although I don't claim it'll
be the same scale as The Great Dying (250M years ago).
But it's a significant enuf problem that it's worth addressing.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
But it's a significant enuf problem that it's worth addressing.

I never said it isn’t, because it is. Whatever it is, it’s affecting our day to day lives. I cannot remember ever having to use a/c in the middle of October. It’s the middle of November and just in the past week we had temps near 80. Shorts, flip flops and tee shirts.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I never said it isn’t, because it is. Whatever it is, it’s affecting our day to day lives. I cannot remember ever having to use a/c in the middle of October. It’s the middle of November and just in the past week we had temps near 80. Shorts, flip flops and tee shirts.
It's been a tad warm, but I see that as merely weather.
BTW, we're just discussing things....I've no argument with you.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Look around. Especially if we're talking real economics, TCO (total cost of ownership), environmentally friendly products are cheaper in the long run. And especially that's true when the true total cost including production and disposal is considered. Sometimes it's even more obvious such as this example: Light Bulb Showdown: LED vs. CFL vs. Incandescent - The Simple Dollar

View attachment 45451

Also, renewable energy is now the cheapest form of energy Renewable Energy Is Now The Cheapest Option - Even Without Subsidies
I hear.....tungsten filament bulbs are now illegal to make

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some people would be dripping gallons of sweat in their underwear and still claim, It's just the weather.
Weather differs from climate.
The former is highly variable from day to day, month to month, & year to year.
The latter is the long term trend of weather.
So even if it hits -20F in Revoltistan this winter, it doesn't disprove AGW.
Nor does a 70F day in November prove AGW.
They're both just weather.

Now that's cleared up.

Goddess Kit

Weather differs from climate.
The former is highly variable from day to day, month to month, & year to year.
The latter is the long term trend of weather.
So even if it hits -20F in Revoltistan this winter, it doesn't disprove AGW.
Nor does a 70F day in November prove AGW.
They're both just weather.

Now that's cleared up.

Things are so easily cleared up in your mind, almost as though cognitive dissonance plays a major role.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Climate change is a problem, but only man is arrogant enough to think he is the sole or even major contributor to it. Man was not around 250 million years ago when the interior of Pangaea turned into a desert, and the only life was at the coasts and in the sea. Man was not around when there were tropical forests at subarctic latitudes.Ninety nine percent of all species that have eve existed are extinct. I don’t know how scientists know about species that there’s probably no fossils of, but there it is, say the experts. This is cyclical with man or without.
Yes, but the cycles aren't instant, as this current warming is.
There are known, predictable cooling/heating generators: day/night, Winter/Summer, solar cycles, planetary precession, &c.
There are known, climatological causes of mass extinctions: Siberian traps or comet impact, and geo-meteorological causes like Pangaea.

Humans are one of the catastrophic causes, and are clearly the cause of the present collapse.
1. There are no other observable warming factors at play.
2. Warming like that observed today would be the expected, predictable result of the constellation of human activities we're currently engaging in.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did you read nothing I wrote? Or like others here you’re just picking and choosing? Do you honestly believe that humans can cause a climate change on the scale of the one 250 million years ago, and extinctions rivaling the past five over the past 500 million years? C’mon now. There’s that human hubris.
Absolutely we can! What other cause can you think of to explain the current warming?