• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As Urgent As COVID

Bear Wild

Climate Change is an emergency, that is more serious then CoV is. Let's fix this ****.

https://phys.org/news/2020-11-climate-bigger-threat-covid-red.html
Thank you for this post. Covid is only a symptom of the greater threat of environmental decline. Sadly it has become another victim of the anti-science political agenda of the republican party. Don't wear masks since science shows they slow the spread of the virus and burn more fossil fuels since science shows that this is causing our climate disaster. I do not understand why the republican party has become so anti-intellectual and anti-science.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
They both seem to be out of human control. Maybe because COVID is at one's immediate concern, that's where the imbalance lies. Years down the line, COVID would probably just as other viruses and disease we're still trying to cure and hopefully more focus on climate change would increase when the politics of COVID decrease.

Who knows.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Thank you for this post. Covid is only a symptom of the greater threat of environmental decline. Sadly it has become another victim of the anti-science political agenda of the republican party. Don't wear masks since science shows they slow the spread of the virus and burn more fossil fuels since science shows that this is causing our climate disaster. I do not understand why the republican party has become so anti-intellectual and anti-science.
no one controls a virus
it's not red or blue

so much for intellect

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Climate Change is an emergency, that is more serious then CoV is. Let's fix this ****.

https://phys.org/news/2020-11-climate-bigger-threat-covid-red.html
coincidentally....
I am trying to get my employer to let go of a scrap of steel
I can use it......just like it is
they seem reluctant to let me have it
as if to melt the steel is a better thing

so here is your heads up

we must learn to REUSE ....ALL that we can
without returning the metal to the flame

it takes one ton of coal
five tons of oxygen
to melt one ton of scrap iron

recycle is NOT the same as reuse
recycle promotes and sustains the carbon foot print

we humans must learn to form our useful items into reusable items

no more plastics bags for the one time use to carry groceries home
no more plastic straws
STOP using such things

we should go back to glass bottles.....heavily made....near unbreakable
more expensive to use
but maybe they will find their way back to the refill
not the land fill

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
plastic has two possible origins.....plant oil
petroleum oil

I think it was Ford who proposed plastic car bodies.....decades ago
using plant based plastics
his idea did not catch on

the earth will take back the vegetation plastic
but not the oil base items

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
coincidentally....
I an trying to get my employer to let go of a scrap of steel

so here is your heads up

it takes one ton of coal
five tons of oxygen

no more plastic straws
STOP using such things

more expensive to use
not the land fill

plastic has two possible origins.....plant oil
petroleum oil

I think it was Ford who proposed plastic car bodies.....decades ago
using plant based plastics
his idea did not catch on

the earth will take back the vegetation plastic
but not the oil base items

These are all wonderful ideas. Keep it up.

These remind me that hemp produces 4x the amount of pulp as wood does, and it is faster and cheaper to grow, plus less labor intensive.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

These remind me that hemp produces 4x the amount of pulp as wood does, and it is faster and cheaper to grow, plus less labor intensive.
Why do I think, whenever things like this are said, never ever result in lower priced items.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Why do I think, whenever things like this are said, never ever result in lower priced items.
Look around. Especially if we're talking real economics, TCO (total cost of ownership), environmentally friendly products are cheaper in the long run. And especially that's true when the true total cost including production and disposal is considered. Sometimes it's even more obvious such as this example: Light Bulb Showdown: LED vs. CFL vs. Incandescent - The Simple Dollar

Capture.PNG

Also, renewable energy is now the cheapest form of energy Renewable Energy Is Now The Cheapest Option - Even Without Subsidies

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Covid? Perhaps Earth's just culling a harmful, invasive species.
The planet's immune system is different from ours, and works on geological time.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Today's news (Times of India): Among G-20, India is the only nation which has fulfilled the requirement of 2 degree temperature drop requirements.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
coincidentally....
I an trying to get my employer to let go of a scrap of steel
I ran across that problem too once.
Odd that some people seem against re-using materials.
so here is your heads up

it takes one ton of coal
five tons of oxygen

no more plastic straws
STOP using such things

more expensive to use
not the land fill
Paper bottles.
Compost'm or burn'm for heat.

BTW, today the electricians hook us up to our 48 photovoltaic
solar panels. I'm going to be really smug about how green I am.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Climate change is a problem, but only man is arrogant enough to think he is the sole or even major contributor to it. Man was not around 250 million years ago when the interior of Pangaea turned into a desert, and the only life was at the coasts and in the sea. Man was not around when there were tropical forests at subarctic latitudes.Ninety nine percent of all species that have eve existed are extinct. I don’t know how scientists know about species that there’s probably no fossils of, but there it is, say the experts. This is cyclical with man or without.

Burning down forests for farming isn’t helping the planet, but then we have the vegetarians screaming that the world should become vegetarian. Where do vegetables grow? No one is willing to give up their modern way of life. Wind, solar, water power? Sure, but before 100 years ago, did those things exist? Are we going to convert everything into those power sources in such a short time? And I’ve never seen hydroelectric dams, wind turbines or solar farms. I never saw one in the town I lived in, or saw solar panels on private homes. Gee, I wonder what alternative fuel vehicles look like. It would be great if someone invented them.

I’m not saying man is not ****ing up the planet, but let’s put things into perspective.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Climate change is a problem, but only man is arrogant enough to think he is the sole or even major contributor to it. Man was not around 250 million years ago when the interior of Pangaea turned into a desert, and the only life was at the coasts and in the sea. Man was not around when there were tropical forests at subarctic latitudes.Ninety nine percent of all species that have eve existed are extinct. I don’t know how scientists know about species that there’s probably no fossils of, but there it is, say the experts. This is cyclical with man or without.

Burning down forests for farming isn’t helping the planet, but then we have the vegetarians screaming that the world should become vegetarian. Where do vegetables grow? No one is willing to give up their modern way of life. Wind, solar, water power? Sure, but before 100 years ago, did those things exist? Are we going to convert everything into those power sources in such a short time? And I’ve never seen hydroelectric dams, wind turbines or solar farms. I never saw one in the town I lived in, or saw solar panels on private homes. Gee, I wonder what alternative fuel vehicles look like. It would be great if someone invented them.

I’m not saying man is not ****ing up the planet, but let’s put things into perspective.
Humans weren't the cause of prior warmings, but it appears that we are now.
And sure, there've been mass extinctions before, & life recovered.
But my personal preference is to avoid another. It would make our
planet less interesting to lose biodiversity & natural areas.
Also, there'll be much political turmoil as sea levels rise, & livable
areas flood. You just know that we'll be paying thru the nose for
the consequent assistance & military conflicts.

We really need fewer people. I dislike the idea that we must live
smaller lives (no burgers) just to accommodate ovrerpopulation.

Last edited:

Goddess Kit

First let Covid kill all the old people in government against climate change policies, and then work on saving our planet.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Humans weren't the cause of prior warmings, but it appears that we are now.
And sure, there've been mass extinctions before, & life recovered.
But my personal preference is to avoid another.

Did you read nothing I wrote? Or like others here you’re just picking and choosing? Do you honestly believe that humans can cause a climate change on the scale of the one 250 million years ago, and extinctions rivaling the past five over the past 500 million years? C’mon now. There’s that human hubris.