• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As Smart as an Asian...

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Ok, my second question, for those that feel this statement is racist,

Is any positive statement about a race then also racist?

From the US Census Bureau on race...
White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

American Indian or Alaska Native – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.

It's either racist, or it's weird. To put it bluntly. I wouldn't use it in every day speech unless you know the person.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Ok, my second question, for those that feel this statement is racist,

Is any positive statement about a race then also racist?

From the US Census Bureau on race...
White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

American Indian or Alaska Native – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.

I kinda see where you're going. Anyone that believe in positive racial stereotypes assumes that said group is homogeneous.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I wish I were was as smart as an Asian.

Is that a racist statement?
Yes it is. Yes, there are Asian cultures that stress learning and excellence, but there are other cultures in other groups that do the same (some Semites, for example). But it is the hard work involved that makes some Asians "smarter" (i.e. better read and educated) than some in other cultures, not the fact of being Asian, or Semitic, or whatever.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
To the board it's not technically racist if you're going by the text book definition. Is it racist if a white guy says "I want to have the penis of a black man?"
Like what, in a jar? Yeah, I think a white guy wanting to take black mens' penises would be racist... and possibly psychotic.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It might depend on whether the black man gave it willingly.
I'd like a definition of "gave" here. As a matter of fact, we didn't even question the statement "I'd like to have the penis of a black man." I mean, he didn't necessarily mean he wanted it attached to his own body in place of the one he was born with. It could easily mean something so much more mundane, couldn't it?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
No. It was more of a "in jest" comment as context can change the meaning. Sex is a factor which can and has overridden various values, positive and negative, which people hold. Slave owners having sex with their slaves for example in US South. The "tail" overrides the racist ideology. US South racism had to make Blacks sub-human in order to rationalize against "All men are created equal" Think of that using modern terms of having sex with a sub-species or another species.

Funny you should say that. Having grown up mainly in the South I can tell you that I was never taught to hate Blacks (or Negroes at the time). I was taught to disdain the whole race as no better mentally and socially than farm animals. (This was more understood than voiced). This why a Black man looking at a white woman caused so much uproar. It was like your mule coming on to your sister. It was hard to hate your livestock, but you didn't let them eat at your table. When I moved up North I experienced true hatred of the races. Where I lived was mainly whites, blacks, and Puerto Ricans. These three groups recognized each other as human beings and, as such, could be the target of real hatred.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I wish I were was as smart as an Asian.

Is that a racist statement?
More of a stereotype but I suspect there is some slight hereditary IQ advantages in East Asians so I think there is some truth to the stereotype.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Yes. It assumes that all Asians are wealthy Chinese, Japanese or South Koreans.

Ah ha but what if the stereotype is based off data?

List of ethnic groups in the United States by household income - Wikipedia

From the wiki:

Rank
Race Median household income (2016 US$)
1 Asian 80,720[1]
2 White 61,349[1]
3 All households 57,617[1]
4 Native Hawaiianand Other Pacific Islander 57,112[1]
5 Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 46,882[1]
6 Some other race 44,798[1]
7 American Indianand Alaska Native 39,719[1]
8 Black or African American 38,555[1]

Asians to tend on avg to be the wealthiest in the U.S. even above whites on avg $20,000 a year more.

Shad

Veteran Member
Funny you should say that. Having grown up mainly in the South I can tell you that I was never taught to hate Blacks (or Negroes at the time). I was taught to disdain the whole race as no better mentally and socially than farm animals. (This was more understood than voiced). This why a Black man looking at a white woman caused so much uproar. It was like your mule coming on to your sister. It was hard to hate your livestock, but you didn't let them eat at your table. When I moved up North I experienced true hatred of the races. Where I lived was mainly whites, blacks, and Puerto Ricans. These three groups recognized each other as human beings and, as such, could be the target of real hatred.

The North had it's own form of segregation but it was social and economical. This introduces an element of jealousy

Shad

Veteran Member
Ah ha but what if the stereotype is based off data?

It can be based off of culture and religion as well. Think of the "protestant work ethic" One could assume all Protestants are good workers. In this case I think ideas about Chinese culture as a cause of success being used as a generalization

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
A lamprey in this case. Look it up, that avarar is vlearly the
face if a lamorey. I haveheard about that.
Actually, I did not have to look it up. Lampreys of the group Cyclostomata was the first thing I thought of when I saw your post. I have not heard it applied to a person in 30 years and then we meant something else.