• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As religious or spiritual

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Yes. Though there's a fine line between knowing for certain that X is true, and X being an objective truth - something that is so true, it spans the universe and is true to all.

RestlessSoul

Absolute certainty is always dangerous ground.

But in moments of doubt, with which we are all afflicted, I sometimes fall back on this simple line, from Psalm 46, v 10;

Be still, and know that I am God.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Can a religious or spiritual person ever say.

I know for certain?
If a person do, is it not then more than a belief?

As I see it, to know for certain is to have empirical evidence. If I have empirical evidence, it's knowledge, not belief.

I think this works for both spiritual/religious and irreligious people.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
There are certain things that have earned certainty. I know that the sun will rise and fall with the rotation of the earth. Anything that changes that will most likely kill me, anyways (like an impact from a giant meteor changing the earth's rotation), so there's no real reason to not be certain of that.

But to apply certainty to something that can't be tested, or we remain ignorant of, is a dangerous game. What would be the point of placing certainty into something like that? Placing certainty into something I can't realistically know for certain would be a form of self delusion, IMO. Seems like seeking comfort more than truth to me.