• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As I'm navigating my way through learning worship....

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a question.

I have Thor, my primary deity of course; Odin; Frigga; Freyr; Freyja; Tyr;and Baldr in my shrine. I have them as primaries in my pantheon and displayed (though I believe in the other gods and goddesses too) because they represent something to me. Thor is a replication of the Eyrarland Statue, the others are framed pictures. I have some written prayers and verses that I recite, along with lighting candles and incense. I would take the food (bread, fruits, etc.), flowers and liquids I offer and return them to the earth. So far so good, I guess

The question is (yes, it was coming :D), do you offer something different to each deity, and/or rotate the offerings you make to each individual deity? For example, Freyja and Frigga may get flowers one time; Thor and Odin get the beer or mead (maybe every time for Thor, being the primary deity); something for Tyr the next time, and so on? Or offer them all something in one worship session (though you can't always get fresh flowers)? Or maybe the individual offerings on their particular day of the week or another day in the month or year?

This sounds somewhat over-thought and ocd, but someone hinted at it elsewhere, but didn't elaborate. So, I'm curious how it works when and if they get these types of offerings.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
You've definitely taken to the offerings on shrines more quickly than I did. ^_^ Then again, even as a Hindu, I wasn't terribly good at regularly giving offerings.

Pretty much just Meade and during Blots. A documentary I once saw, Germanic Tribes: Tribes Against Rome said that apparently these folk not only did their worship outside, but that they felt it was highly disrespectful to "lock the Gods indoors as if prisoners." I've pretty much taken hold of this, and so don't really have an indoor shrine. ... Problem is, I don't really have an outdoor one, either. :eek:

However, one thing I tend to do is focus in on the Gods during Blot-times, which I've marked on a customized variant on the Wheel of the Year (still in the works). When it comes to more frequent offerings, the plan is to take another aspect of continental Germanic folk religion and build an Elf-House, leaving offerings there for the local Elves. I've heard it said that the Germanic folks were surprisingly quite quick to abandon their Gods for Christianity, but were so adamant about holding on to their Elf-Rituals that even to this day, those rituals survive to some context or another. I'll build an Elf-House, and probably leave food on its doorstep (or something else at first; I live with my mother, and while she's pluralist and, to my knowledge, fairly agnostic, I doubt she'd appreciate me just leaving food out, as she'd perceive it).

But that's also me taking a more Anglic approach, and that pan-Tribe has its roots in Continental Germanic culture, which was distinct from Scandinavian Germanic culture (despite the fact that Denmark, the region the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes are from, is now part of Scandinavia because history).

I suppose failing everything else, I could erect a Pole-Person... then again, that might freak the neighbors out unnecessarily. lol

Germanic_god_pfahlg%C3%B6tze.jpg

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. I kind of thought that what I read of those different offerings was a little over-thought. I may have misunderstood the intent, i.e. making a special day offering to a deity. I do wish she had elaborated on it.

You've definitely taken to the offerings on shrines more quickly than I did. ^_^ Then again, even as a Hindu, I wasn't terribly good at regularly giving offerings.

Yeah but- but- but... I didn't say I do them regularly. :D

Pretty much just Meade and during Blots. A documentary I once saw, Germanic Tribes: Tribes Against Rome said that apparently these folk not only did their worship outside, but that they felt it was highly disrespectful to "lock the Gods indoors as if prisoners." I've pretty much taken hold of this, and so don't really have an indoor shrine. ... Problem is, I don't really have an outdoor one, either. :eek:

I can understand that, being gods of fertility, nature and the elements. I'd love to make one outdoors. I have some secluded sections of my backyard. Yeah, I can only imagine what my one neighbor, a consummate busybody I don't talk to, would think if I put the shrine on my front lawn, with a pile of stones, or a roughly carved idol. She'd be asking the other neighbors what I was doing. :D Hmm... *rubs chin pensively*

So I'll just stick with the liquid offering - I haven't gotten to the store to get mead or beer, so I used apple juice and grape juice - and if I find flowers, great. I'm sure all the gods and goddesses would like them. One of the prayers I use, that I found as a picture on the internet, refers to "All the Gods", and "O Aesir and Vanir" and "O Gods of Asgard", and wording like that. Kind of like the Roman Pantheon on paper.

However, one thing I tend to do is focus in on the Gods during Blot-times, which I've marked on a customized variant on the Wheel of the Year (still in the works). When it comes to more frequent offerings, the plan is to take another aspect of continental Germanic folk religion and build and Elf-House, leaving offerings there for the local Elves. I've heard it said that the Germanic folks were surprisingly quite quick to abandon their Gods for Christianity, but were so adamant about holding on to their Elf-Rituals that even to this day, those rituals survive to some context or another. I'll build an Elf-House, and probably leave food on its doorstep (or something else at first; I live with my mother, and while she's pluralist and, to my knowledge, fairly agnostic, I doubt she'd appreciate me just leaving food out, as she'd perceive it).

That's a really nice idea. I'm always leaving things out for the little animals or whatever happens to come along. If I have fruit that's overripe, and I'm not going to eat it, I put it outside. I'm sure the animals appreciate finding a banana under a tree in NJ.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Thanks. I kind of thought that what I read of those different offerings was a little over-thought. I may have misunderstood the intent, i.e. making a special day offering to a deity. I do wish she had elaborated on it.

What was your original source, if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah but- but- but... I didn't say I do them regularly. :D
Well, okay, then. ^_^

I can understand that, being gods of fertility, nature and the elements.
Our is, without a doubt, a Farmers' religion.

Which actually reminds me. Based on my experience of doing likewise, I would actually encourage all Celtic and Germanic polytheists to get some gardening and/or farming experience. I did a three-month long internship at a local farm (ultimately didn't complete it for health reasons, but I did get highly valuable experience from it), but do whatever you can in your area. I saw an interview with an Arch-Druid on youtube at one point, and when asked about advice he had for younger seekers, he said(paraphrased), "There are far more books ... than I had growing up. Don't read them. Go out into nature, and get dirt under your fingernails."

I'd love to make one outdoors. I have some secluded sections of my backyard. Yeah, I can only imagine what my one neighbor, a consummate busybody I don't talk to, would think if I put the shrine on my front lawn, with a pile of stones, or a roughly carved idol. She'd be asking the other neighbors what I was doing. :D Hmm... *rubs chin pensively*

So I'll just stick with the liquid offering - I haven't gotten to the store to get mead or beer, so I used apple juice and grape juice - and if I find flowers, great. I'm sure all the gods and goddesses would like them. One of the prayers I use, that I found as a picture on the internet, refers to "All the Gods", and "O Aesir and Vanir" and "O Gods of Asgard", and wording like that. Kind of like the Roman Pantheon on paper.
And I just came up with a question... would leaving a Mistletoe in honor of Frigga be something she'd appreciate, or something that would offend her?

Hm... I do suspect the modern practice of "kissing under the mistletoe" does have its roots in the Old Way, and there might be a parallel in Balder's death by mistletoe shaft to the death of innocence, physically and/or figuratively, that comes with first sexual experience.... Freyja(*Inga) is more of the Youthful sex goddess while Frigga is the wizened Mother... and there is some question as to whether or not the two Goddesses may have, at one point, been the same Goddess undergoing a separation that never fully completed by the time Iceland became Christian... I think I'd conclude, therefore, that leaving a mistletoe around Frigga isn't a terribly good idea, but it's actually perfect to leave it near Freyja.

A glimpse into how my mind processes the relationship between ritual, culture, and mythology. ^_^

That's a really nice idea. I'm always leaving things out for the little animals or whatever happens to come along. If I have fruit that's overripe, and I'm not going to eat it, I put it outside. I'm sure the animals appreciate finding a banana under a tree in NJ.
^_^ I suppose setting up a bird-bath and bird-feed would count. The Elves are the Woodland Spirits, after all, and while I do live near Wetland, the small hill I actually live on was likely a Woodland back when...

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
I do a "toast" almost daily and will tend to just go by inspiration and gut concerming who and what it's for...influenced by day of the week, season, what's going on with family and friends, etc. These and offerings to house ghosts/spirits, ancestors, etc. are typically more frequent and indoor. Blot, buried dead, nature/land spirits, etc. more communal ritual, ceremony, celebration almost always outdoor besides maybe when there were temples with initiated druid/brahmin style priests and priestesses.

For your own backyard you could simply use a picnic table with a blessing bowl, horn, hammer, etc. if you don't want to stick out or be too elaborate. Wouldn't have to leave it all there overnight :D

It's good to start with an offering to land spirits where you live and ask for some inspiration (location, set up, etc.) same with with ancestors and so on.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What was your original source, if you don't mind me asking?

It was at another site, a pagan site. You might know of it, but if you're interested I'll send it to you via PM.

And I just came up with a question... would leaving a Mistletoe in honor of Frigga be something she'd appreciate, or something that would offend her?

Hm... I do suspect the modern practice of "kissing under the mistletoe" does have its roots in the Old Way, and there might be a parallel in Balder's death by mistletoe shaft to the death of innocence, physically and/or figuratively, that comes with first sexual experience....

Ha! I had a similar thought of that today. It popped into my head what would not be an appropriate offering to Baldr (wanna guess?). I can't believe we thought of the same thing on the same day... fff-reeky!

I don't think I'd feel comfortable. After all it might remind her that she was the one who passed on extracting the oath from the mistletoe.

^_^ I suppose setting up a bird-bath and bird-feed would count. The Elves are the Woodland Spirits, after all, and while I do live near Wetland, the small hill I actually live on was likely a Woodland back when...

Yep, got the bird-bath and bird-feeder. We had a tiny sparrow we called Chipper hanging around the front of the house. I think she had a nest in one of the hedges because I'd hear peeping and chirping. She would flutter around as if she owned the place, not seemingly put off by our presence. It was really cute. I think she's since moved away once the babies were fledged.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I do a "toast" almost daily and will tend to just go by inspiration and gut concerming who and what it's for...influenced by day of the week, season, what's going on with family and friends, etc.

Thanks, there's our gut feelings and listening to hear the deities again. :yes:

For your own backyard you could simply use a picnic table with a blessing bowl, horn, hammer, etc. if you don't want to stick out or be too elaborate. Wouldn't have to leave it all there overnight :D

That's definitely easy to do.

It's good to start with an offering to land spirits where you live and ask for some inspiration (location, set up, etc.) same with with ancestors and so on.

I performed a "funeral" in my backyard for a neighborhood cat that was hit by a car, and left in the gutter by its owners, who didn't know or didn't care. So, the cat is there. I don't know how that plays into location of the shrine.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Thanks, there's our gut feelings and listening to hear the deities again. :yes:

That's definitely easy to do.

I performed a "funeral" in my backyard for a neighborhood cat that was hit by a car, and left in the gutter by its owners, who didn't know or didn't care. So, the cat is there. I don't know how that plays into location of the shrine.

As long as you are respectful and don't disturb graves it's all good in my opinion. We used to keep buried dead a lot closer than people tend to now. Leave them gifts now and then and literally pray to them. Of course not the exact same with animals but in principle.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
It was at another site, a pagan site. You might know of it, but if you're interested I'll send it to you via PM.

I am interested. I actually don't do a lot of web-searching for Pagan sites, since there's a lot of junk out there.

Ha! I had a similar thought of that today. It popped into my head what would not be an appropriate offering to Baldr (wanna guess?). I can't believe we thought of the same thing on the same day... fff-reeky!

I don't think I'd feel comfortable. After all it might remind her that she was the one who passed on extracting the oath from the mistletoe.

Yeah. It's one thing to offer the wrong thing, it's another thing to offer something offensive.

Yep, got the bird-bath and bird-feeder. We had a tiny sparrow we called Chipper hanging around the front of the house. I think she had a nest in one of the hedges because I'd hear peeping and chirping. She would flutter around as if she owned the place, not seemingly put off by our presence. It was really cute. I think she's since moved away once the babies were fledged.

Nice. ^_^

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As long as you are respectful and don't disturb graves it's all good in my opinion. We used to keep buried dead a lot closer than people tend to now. Leave them gifts now and then and literally pray to them. Of course not the exact same with animals but in principle.

Well, strangely, because I believe animals have souls too, I've spoken to the cat and asked its forgiveness. See, the cat used to come sit on my deck and sun itself. I knew where it lived, that it was de-clawed, was a house cat, but was let out by its owners. I should have taken him/her in, or at least left food and water to encourage him to stay by my house. It was killed on the street where it lived. I couldn't leave it there, so I picked it up, wrapped it and buried it in my back yard.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I am interested. I actually don't do a lot of web-searching for Pagan sites, since there's a lot of junk out there.

Incoming! :)

Yeah. It's one thing to offer the wrong thing, it's another thing to offer something offensive.

Exactly... :yes: That's why until I really learn my way around, I'll offer the basics, a candle, incense, prayers, drink (I gots to me me some mead :)), a piece of nice artisan bread, some fruits, nuts, etc. Those are things that should please all the deities and spirits. I used apple juice tonight, poured it into a glass cup on the altar, said my prayers, then brought it outside, offered it everyone first, took a sip, then poured it out.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It's the latest (and I hope last; wanna start a pool? :facepalm:) iteration of my shrine and altar. I hope this is as simple as I keep it. In talking with someone, I came to realize that Asatru is not about externals but about code of living, and as the name says "faithful to the Aesir". Strangely, as large as the pantheon is, I do not feel the need to have representations of everybody, their half-brother, aunts and uncles as I did with the Hindu deities. Besides I think a "Hail Thor; Hail Odin; Hail Aesir and Asynjur; Hail the High Ones; Hail ancestors; Hail kith and kin" about covers it. :D

Legend, left to right top wall to table ('cuz it's not the best pic):

Odin; 8x10" Thor in his cart; Frigga.

Heimdall; the Viking prayer "Lo! there do I see my father; Lo! There do I see my mother ..."; my parents; the pic that's cut off is a 70 year old pic of my parents holding my brothers as toddlers.

On the table:
Tyr; Frey; Thor, replica of Eyrarland statue; Freya; Baldur.

I cut the roses from my rose bush. I'd like to seasonally decorate the altar: leaves, pumpkins for fall; evergreen sprigs for winter; etc. Incense holder, candle holder, offering bowl, cup (I want a horn!); hammer. OK, the hammer... it's a wooden mallet I painted with gray metallic craft paint. I wanted to make it look like iron... I'm so lame. :facepalm:

Attachments

• Altar 101914.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 78

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I found a hammer on ebay that I think may do nicely as a hammer for my altar (instead of the painted wooden one). The head is brass, and the handle is wood, probably ~14" (standard). I don't think I'd want to cut it down, since it is a hand hammer like Mjölnir, and not a full sized sledge hammer. It looks like it's seen some mileage, but maybe with some t.l.c. it will be nice. It seems to need a home. ;)

Attachments

• Brass hammer.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 119

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately I was outbid by 50 cents. But I found this one, a purchase, not a bid:

attachment.php

I'm not wild about Genuine Hickory stamped on the handle, but I might be able to sand that off smooth. I could refinish the handle and inscribe runes, leave it plain, or simply wrap lightweight leather around it. I think that would look smashing (pun intended).

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Unfortunately I was outbid by 50 cents. But I found this one, a purchase, not a bid:

attachment.php

I'm not wild about Genuine Hickory stamped on the handle, but I might be able to sand that off smooth. I could refinish the handle and inscribe runes, leave it plain, or simply wrap lightweight leather around it. I think that would look smashing (pun intended).

lol!:yes: Sounds good. I liked the look of the one you posted.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As much as I liked the other one, I like this one better. See, things always work out for a reason. One door closes and another one opens. :)