• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As Above, So Below

janesix

What does this ACTUALLY mean, in literal terms?
Holographic universe?
Fractal universe?
Ye are Gods?
This has popped up frequently in my synchronicities. Mostly in the form of, that the outside is a reflection of the inside. A while back, I was pretty paranoid that the outside world was LITERALLY a reflection of my inner world, the turmoil, the changing sociopolitical environment (not just the US, but the whole world.)
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I've heard this referenced by occult practitioners. The idea is, that there is a chain connecting the material world and the spiritual world. Shaking the chain below, results in shaking the chain above.

janesix

I've heard this referenced by occult practitioners. The idea is, that there is a chain connecting the material world and the spiritual world. Shaking the chain below, results in shaking the chain above.
I sort of get what you mean, but not really. Can you be more specific?

Onoma

Well, in the Bible's day, and prior to the Bible, dating back to idk, probably about at least 2 or 3,000 BC, it was a convention of the science of measurement that units like the cubit that were used terrestrially, were also used in astrometry ( Measurements in astronomy )

In this case the cubit was also a measure of angle

Angular measurements in Babylonian astronomy on JSTOR

So it would have been a linear measure on earth ( below ) and an angular & linear measure in astronomy ( Above )

I feel like it's always better to look at actual traditions from the period instead of attempting to make up esoteric explanations, it just makes more sense to me

angular vs linear.png

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To me the statement is about how the mental world determines the "subtle" world which is manifest in the physical world.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
What does this ACTUALLY mean, in literal terms?
Holographic universe?
Fractal universe?
Ye are Gods?
This has popped up frequently in my synchronicities. Mostly in the form of, that the outside is a reflection of the inside. A while back, I was pretty paranoid that the outside world was LITERALLY a reflection of my inner world, the turmoil, the changing sociopolitical environment (not just the US, but the whole world.)
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It reminds me of the VedAnta concept of "as with BramhAnDa , so also in pinDAnDa"

BramhAnDa = the Cosmic Egg, the Macrocosm
pinDAnDa = the indivudual "egg" , pinDa , the body

Your body is a universe at the microcosmic level.

You are Purush (spirit, AtmA ) and Prakruti (matter)
The Universe (BramhAnDa) macrocosm is also the Infinite Purush-Prakruti (Supreme Spirit and Material Nature)

The macro process and design architecture is replicated at the sub sub sub and micro levels.
Fractals are a good example, yes.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As I recall, it comes from the Emerald Tablet : Emerald Tablet of Hermes

And like pretty much everything from the Emerald Tablet, it is esoteric, not intended to be taken literally. It's interpreted in different ways depending on the tradition, and to be honest, it's been a while since I've looked into it. I recommend reading the above translations and finding the wisdom in it for yourself.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I sort of get what you mean, but not really. Can you be more specific?
It's easy to see that our material world is governed by natural laws which are predictable. There is an idea among some occult practioners that this predictability extends beyond the material world into a hidden coexisting spiritual world as super-natural laws. These natural laws and super-natural laws are believed to link together like a chain connecting the two worlds. They believe that divine intervention occurs as ripples on this chain of laws from the spiritual world to the material world.

As above, so below, if the divine can intervene in the material world, then the material world can intervene in the divine. The theory is that they can exploit super-natural laws to affect changes in the spiritual world which in turn reflect back into changes in the material world. This can be imagined like shaking a chain that is fixed on the other end. The ripples travel across the chain, hit the end, then return.

That's what I've heard about "As above so below". I hear occult practitioners use that phrase to describe an underlying mechanism for some of their techniques.