• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a Jew this is hard for me to explain

james dixon

Premium Member
I looked and looked and no land of the Israelites could be found
colormap.gif

james dixon

Premium Member
One last time I searched the ancient kingdoms for the Israelite nation and I lowed my head for it could not be found
meregionmapriverover.gif

Thief

Rogue Theologian

I’m 70 living in 2019ad. For those who didn’t know-------

“ad” means; The years “After Jesus’s death”.,.i.e. (ad)

2,019 years ago;.,.,,.,, Jesus walked the streets of Jerusalem

And He knew “Jerusalem” was not the “Promised Land”

Now over 2,000 years later I have found it.

The “Promised Land “ turns out to be-----

No,
It's not--
the Palestinian Land
now called “Israel”
But
The
“United States of America”
.,.,aka.,.,
USA
The United States

And as an American, I consider a Jewish American to be just “an American” or a “Jewish American”.

But more importantly; I as an American; I view a Jew as a Jewish person. I view Jews who live in or born in “Israel” as Israelite’s; not a “Jew”, although they are from the same family.

there is a difference

No harm intended or implied

If I have offended, you

Please forgive me
clip_image001.png
-

Ok? :)-
are you placing the political label in preference to the religious label
and then the inherited label last?

james dixon

Premium Member
Israel means one who sees God. (Philo of Alexandria).
Philo interpreted text as he saw it
But a bit one-sided
]
Philo of Alexandria (/ˈfaɪloʊ/; Ancient Greek: Φίλων, romanized: Phílōn; Hebrew: יְדִידְיָה הַכֹּהֵן‎, romanized: Yedidia (Jedediah) HaCohen; c. 20 BCE – c. 50 CE), also called Philo Judaeus, was a Hellenistic Jewish philosopher who lived in Alexandria, in the Roman province of Egypt.

Philo used philosophical allegory to harmonize Jewish scripture, mainly the Torah, with Greek philosophy. His method followed the practices of both Jewish exegesis and Stoic philosophy. His allegorical exegesis was important for some Christian Church Fathers, but he had very little reception history within the Rabbinic Judaism.[1] He adopted allegoricalinstead of literal interpretations of the Hebrew Bible.

Some scholars hold that his concept of the Logos as God's creative principle influenced early Christology. Other scholars deny direct influence but say that Philo and Early Christianity borrow from a common source.[2]

The only event in Philo's life that can be decisively dated is his participation in the embassy to Rome in 40 CE. He represented the Alexandrian Jews in a delegation to the Roman Emperor Gaius (Caligula) following civil strife between the Alexandrian Jewish and Greek communities. The story of this event, and a few other biographical details, are found in Josephus[3] and in Philo's own works, especially in Legatio ad Gaium (Embassy to Gaius) of which only two of the original five volumes survive.[4]

The thought of Philo was largely inspired by Aristobulus of Paneas and the Alexandrian School,[5][6]concerning his work "Wisdom of Solomon" and the occupations of the Therapeutæ and the Essenes.[7] Philo has never been claimed as a saint nor Doctor of the Church.[7]
Philo - Wikipedia

I’m not even sure if Philo of Alexandria was a jew?

:)-

james dixon

Premium Member
Israel means one who sees God. (Philo of Alexandria).
If believing this helps you sleep at night; then who am I to disturb your sleep

Maybe someday we will meet on better terms :)-

btw: seeing and believing are not one in the same
but whatever you see may it be a comforting sight to see

leov

Philo interpreted text as he saw it
But a bit one-sided
]
Philo of Alexandria (/ˈfaɪloʊ/; Ancient Greek: Φίλων, romanized: Phílōn; Hebrew: יְדִידְיָה הַכֹּהֵן‎, romanized: Yedidia (Jedediah) HaCohen; c. 20 BCE – c. 50 CE), also called Philo Judaeus, was a Hellenistic Jewish philosopher who lived in Alexandria, in the Roman province of Egypt.

Philo used philosophical allegory to harmonize Jewish scripture, mainly the Torah, with Greek philosophy. His method followed the practices of both Jewish exegesis and Stoic philosophy. His allegorical exegesis was important for some Christian Church Fathers, but he had very little reception history within the Rabbinic Judaism.[1] He adopted allegoricalinstead of literal interpretations of the Hebrew Bible.

Some scholars hold that his concept of the Logos as God's creative principle influenced early Christology. Other scholars deny direct influence but say that Philo and Early Christianity borrow from a common source.[2]

The only event in Philo's life that can be decisively dated is his participation in the embassy to Rome in 40 CE. He represented the Alexandrian Jews in a delegation to the Roman Emperor Gaius (Caligula) following civil strife between the Alexandrian Jewish and Greek communities. The story of this event, and a few other biographical details, are found in Josephus[3] and in Philo's own works, especially in Legatio ad Gaium (Embassy to Gaius) of which only two of the original five volumes survive.[4]

The thought of Philo was largely inspired by Aristobulus of Paneas and the Alexandrian School,[5][6]concerning his work "Wisdom of Solomon" and the occupations of the Therapeutæ and the Essenes.[7] Philo has never been claimed as a saint nor Doctor of the Church.[7]
Philo - Wikipedia

I’m not even sure if Philo of Alexandria was a jew?

If you understand this: , “Behold, an Israelite indeed, ..." Jn1:47 You may understand the verse it taken from?

leov

If believing this helps you sleep at night; then who am I to disturb your sleep

Maybe someday we will meet on better terms :)-
Just
btw: seeing and believing are not one in the same
but whatever you see may it be a comforting sight to see
Well, Paul said that faith is just the first step.:)

james dixon

Premium Member
If you understand this: , “Behold, an Israelite indeed, ..." Jn1:47 You may understand the verse it taken from?
Sorry, my mistake; I mistook Judaeus with Judas

Judas
noun [ C ] UK /ˈdʒuː.dəs/ US /ˈdʒuː.dəs/
a person who is not loyal to a friend and helps the friend's enemies
Judas | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Judas
Noun Ju·das | \ ˈjü-dəs \
Definition of Judas
1a : the apostle who in the Gospel accounts betrayed Jesus
b : a son of James and one of the twelve apostles
2 : TRAITOR
especially : one who betrays under the guise of friendship
Definition of JUDAS

Muffled

Jesus in me

No,
It's not--
the Palestinian Land
now called “Israel”
But
The
.,.,aka.,.,
USA
The United States

And as an American, I consider a Jewish American to be just “an American” or a “Jewish American”.

But more importantly; I as an American; I view a Jew as a Jewish person. I view Jews who live in or born in “Israel” as Israelite’s; not a “Jew”, although they are from the same family.

there is a difference

If I have offended, you

Please forgive me
clip_image001.png
-

I believe the promise was to Abraham. Technically speaking that could be all the offspring of Abraham which could include some Arabs. Certainly the DNA is similar. Philistines (where the name Palestine comes from) are probably not numerous but also not under the promise. Then there are descendants of the Samaritans who were Assyrians by race and only quasi-Jewish by adopting a form of the religion who probably were not under the promise either because the promise was not to a religion.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Scripturally speaking the promised land is really the new Jerusalem. The old Testament promised land is just foreshadowing it. As Abraham is said to have "looked for a city whose builder and maker was God" And Isaiah delivered the Word of the LORD which was that God Himself would create Jerusalem. (Isaiah 65:18) This city is not made with human hands. The old Jerusalem of this world is only a typology of what awaits.

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. (Rev. 21:2)

Heb 11:9 By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. 10 For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God

I believe the land he entered was the one promised but how well he was informed about the future is known only by the writer of Hebrews and God.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I believe they use the same date. Change the name but the concept is still there.
That is true. The problem is that AD does not accurately reflect the date of Jesus anyway. The common date for Jesus's birth is thought to be roughly 4 BC. Though the author of Luke was rather confused, or made an error when he tried to find an excuse to get the couple to Bethlehem.

james dixon

Premium Member
The biblical “promised land” is a place full of milk and honey and a place where they would prosper.

The land of Israel today is not that place.

The United States of America is the Promised Land; in my view of things

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

No,
It's not--
the Palestinian Land
now called “Israel”
But
The
.,.,aka.,.,
USA
The United States

there is a difference

If I have offended, you

Please forgive me
clip_image001.png
-

What in the world makes you think the Promised Land is the USA? That is certainly not what God promised Abraham in Genesis.