• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a Christian, what specifically do you believe? And why?

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
not in the christian's commonly narrow-minded perspective;
Whilst I agree on your definition of christians perspective; what I stated was:
in their own self belief that it constitutes proof.

Please do not claim I said something apart from what I did; it's a habit amonst
many members at this forum...and another.

ive been instructed by various religionists that since my belief system is not christian, that im in rebellion against a god;
Igive you my best wishes. Nice reaarranging of my words.

Katzpurson:
It's just the only commonly accepted evidence about Jesus
Please indulge me in other evidence, "accepted" or not :)

Melody said:
I don't know. You'll have to ask those who believe this.
i wasnt sure where you stood on this

Because I believe that basically it holds the truth and there is consistency throughout...
even though you assert that it is written by man with his own agenda? man's agenda is consistent throughout the bible then?

if you don't pull verses out of context and remember why each book was written. I don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.
so even though the bible was written by man with his own agenda, thats fine with you then? man's agenda is fine?

But who's to say they translated perfectly from the original?
certainly they havent translated perfectly from the original; all translations have errors

Could've been. Then again, his writings have been taken out of time and culture and might have been appropriate at the time.
is the current role of women culturally appropriate for today? for example, women are not legally allowed to serve as President of the United States; or what about slavery in Paul's day? was slavery culturally appropriate for the times? Paul instructs slaves to obey their masters in the bible

Just because it appeared in the OT does not make it less meaningful.
you didnt seem too enthused about the old testament a while back

In fact, because Christ reiterated those commandments, it makes it even more important.
christ was speaking to the jews about jewish commandments; are you jewish?

No sir. When I espouse these two commandments, I do so because Christ said they were the two greatest commandments and am not espousing the OT at all.
i suggest that when you espouse the two love commandments, that you are also espousing the law of moses with the ten commandments; they are really inseparable, are they not? especially if the bible is consistent throughout, as you assert

My truth says that Christ is the only way so, no I do not believe it does, else I would not believe what I do. Beyond that....not my business.
your truth? by this do you mean your personal belief system and/or experience?

Accepted the truth which is Christ.
and what specifically is the truth of christ? i believe that christ, although not a god, exhibited the same spark of physical immortality which inherently exists within all human beings

Or don't want to find it.
the love of God does not negate the violence of God; no more than good deeds will atone for the acts of a violent criminal

Stop trying to understand why God made the decisions He did in the OT
i already understand why God made those decisions in the OT; the reason was ethnic cleansing; this is why six nationalities were exterminated by moses and joshua under the direction of the god of the bible

which is an infinitessimally small slice of time
actually, the old testament covers approximately 3500 years of history, which constitutes 1/2 to 1/3 of the earth's entire recorded timeline; whereas the new testament records no more than a mere half century of time; thus the old testament records about 70 times the total number of years that the new testament does

and instead look to the NT where his love and mercy are so apparent.
if the bible is consistent throughout, even though written by man with his own agenda as you assert, shouldnt i look at the whole bible? and not merely at the new testament?

I don't know if it's hellfire or just complete physical and spiritual death...
the bible specifically mentions hellfire, does it not?

but at some point our chance is gone.
our chance for what is gone?

Malus 12:9 said:
Please do not claim I said something apart from what I did;
actually, i hadnt claimed that you had said anything whatsoever; the claim that i made was my own; you mistook my claim for yours

it's a habit amonst many members at this forum...and another.
then youll have to speak to them about it, not me; and i really have no control over people from another forum; nor this one for that matter; thats between you and them; i prefer not to be dragged into your conflict with them

Igive you my best wishes. Nice reaarranging of my words.
actually, i had quoted you directly and completely with no word rearrangements; whereas you have not done so with me; the only word rearragements which occured were within your own imagination, and not within the actual written text of the page; youre fighting against an imaginary opponent here

How does:
Sound like:

and how does:
Look precisely worded as::
thats precisely my point; they are two different statements with two different meanings; you had somehow confused them with each other; i was not attempting to represent you as youve imagined; youre just getting pedantic at this point to argue a trivial matter like this

i have no desire to represent your statements for you; youll need to do that on your own; if you feel that your statements are unclear, then simply reword your own statements; if you feel that my statements are unclear, then simply ask me to clarify; dont get into petty pedantic arguments over some wildly imagined misrepresentation

But you have chosen to do so.
no, you got bent out of shape because one of my statements was not in direct alignment with one of your statements, so you started claiming some form of misrepresentation

your conflicts are your own; my conflicts are my own; dont get the two confused; i have no desire to get involved with your conflicts, nor was i ever involved with your individual conflicts, except potentially in the context of your own imagination; i was simply responding to the others in this thread who had directly addressed me, when you got bent out of shape over some pedantic misinterpretation that you had devised in your head; please dont assume that im fighting for some unspoken cause that you secretly have

This is bull****,
youre just getting emotional over some tiny statement that youve misinterpreted, and so youve blown it way out of proportion; your response is vastly over-exaggerated; if youre going to engage in heated debate over something, at least make it something good; not this petty stuff

did you decide to jump on the wagon too?
what wagon are you referring to? is this something else which exists within your wild imagination? or are you simply spewing some generalized projection?

Kowalski

Don't patronize me, yes it is.
Heey, Immortal, don't play fancy word games with my mate, try to reduce your verbosity, and perhaps some one can understand you, yes ?

K

Mujahid

Immortal Awakened said:
Please define 'Christian'.

As a Christian, what specifically do you believe? And why?

I've heard many Christians assert that they are a true Christian, while simultaneously suggesting that many others who profess to be Christian aren't truly Christian.

Or if you are not a Christian, what is your impression of Christian beliefs? What specifically is a Christian?

I'm agnostic myself, and I can't get a specific definition of what constitutes a true Christian from Christians when I ask. I really don't see any difference between a true Christian and a false Christian, whatever they each may be.

What makes you a true Christian (if this is your profession), as opposed to a false Christian?
you've really provoked a serious issue,this happens in almost all religions,but,let me tell you something,when anyone believes in a God,he doesn't worship him at the beginning because he loves him,but only because he wants things from him(even if he tells himself: oh i love my God),many worship just to be satisfied about their own characters,because anyone who first describes himself,describes himself as a good one,so if anyone renders himself free of all of that,he can really get what he wants and taste the wonderful feeling of faith

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Immortal Awakened said:
you honestly strike me as just another contentious christian who is quick to label others as ignorant; i have no desire to debate a stance that you erroneously label as sola-scriptura, when i am not even a christian, nor was i presenting a sola-scripturean stance in the first place; youre again confusing infallibility with sola-scriptura, as youve confused a number of things thus far; insofar as youve been unable to differentiate between a christian and an agnostic up to this point, i have absolutely no desire to further investigate the stance of your religious denomination; youve already made your judgments, and i dont care to expend my energies to alter them; i suggest that you stick to your judgments, instead of rendering apologies to appease your own sense of conscience; i honestly have no desire to associate with someone so filled with religious projections; thanks anyway
Well, it's a bit rich having a go at me for judging you as something you aren't when you are happy to judge my apology as insincere. It was not, but if you wish to take it as such that is your prerogative. I didn't actually confuse textual infallibility with sola scriptura. The two are intimately related. You cannot have the latter without the former and the only people (up to now) who I've ever come across who argue for textual infallibility have been sola scripturalists. I have already apologised, however, for misinterpreting your stance as sola scripturalist. Please try to understand that the only evidence I had to go on was what you wrote in your posts. That this lead me to an incorrect conclusion is unfortunate but I wasn't attacking you. As for your ignorance, I referred specifically to your apparent lack of knowledge on the development of the canon, and did not call you ignorant in general. There are plenty of subjects that I am ignorant of, this just doesn't happen to be one of them, but if you can't distinguish between a specific comment that you appear to lack an understanding of a certain topic and a general insult then perhaps it would be better that we don't correspond further. I genuinely do not have, and nor did I ever have, any interest in upsetting you unnecessarily.

James

dms5aze

i invite every christian on this site with the call of islam to come and embrace it,
you christians believe that jesus is the son of god and god himself (trinity)

Glorified be Allah above those who you associate partners to him!!

1. The quran wipes out this allegation of the christians about Allah (in arabic meaning one and only true god) in which they claim he has a son in surat ikhlas which says:
SAY HE IS ALLAH THE ONE!!
ALLAH IS ETERNAL AND ABSOLUTE!!
NONE IS BORN OF HIM
NOR IS HE BORN
AND THERE IS NOTHING LIKE HIM!!

so ladies and gentlemen there you go the plain truth!! you claim to obey Jesus (pbuh) but you follow not his commands, his command was simple my friends and that was to worship thy father who had sent him!! meaning Allah!! father in metaphorically speaking Allah is the father of all of the prophets yes but that does not mean he has a son glorified be he!! i mean not to offend any 1 and if i have i apoligise sincerely but as Allah (swt) says in the quran : ' it is he who has sent his messenger(prophet muhammad pbuh) with the truth even though they detest it.

i want any christian on this forum i challenge them to pull out one quote in the bible where jesus (pbuh) claims divinity clearly!! verses like worship me etc my email address my brothers and sisters is [email protected]

Asslam Alikum to my muslim brothers on this forum ;)

Mujahid said:
you've really provoked a serious issue,this happens in almost all religions,but,let me tell you something,when anyone believes in a God,he doesn't worship him at the beginning because he loves him,but only because he wants things from him(even if he tells himself: oh i love my God),many worship just to be satisfied about their own characters,because anyone who first describes himself,describes himself as a good one,so if anyone renders himself free of all of that,he can really get what he wants and taste the wonderful feeling of faith
arent religionists often simply attempting to appease their own conscience by worshipping a god?