• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a Christian, what specifically do you believe? And why?

Please define 'Christian'.

I've heard many Christians assert that they are a true Christian, while simultaneously suggesting that many others who profess to be Christian aren't truly Christian.

Or if you are not a Christian, what is your impression of Christian beliefs? What specifically is a Christian?

I'm agnostic myself, and I can't get a specific definition of what constitutes a true Christian from Christians when I ask. I really don't see any difference between a true Christian and a false Christian, whatever they each may be.

What makes you a true Christian (if this is your profession), as opposed to a false Christian?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Immortal Awakened said:
Please define 'Christian'.

I've heard many Christians assert that they are a true Christian, while simultaneously suggesting that many others who profess to be Christian aren't truly Christian.

Or if you are not a Christian, what is your impression of Christian beliefs? What specifically is a Christian?

I'm agnostic myself, and I can't get a specific definition of what constitutes a true Christian from Christians when I ask. I really don't see any difference between a true Christian and a false Christian, whatever they each may be.

What makes you a true Christian (if this is your profession), as opposed to a false Christian?
I'm so glad you asked! :bounce I believe myself to be a Christian because I worship Jesus Christ as my Savior. He is, according to my belief, the only begotten Son of God and the only means by which we might be reconciled with God. I try to honor and obey Him in all I do and try to live my life in accordance with His example. I would never presume to tell someone else who professes to be a Christian that they aren't "the real thing" and that I am, although I've been told that many times myself.

Katzpur said:
I'm so glad you asked! :bounce I believe myself to be a Christian because I worship Jesus Christ as my Savior. He is, according to my belief, the only begotten Son of God and the only means by which we might be reconciled with God. I try to honor and obey Him in all I do and try to live my life in accordance with His example. I would never presume to tell someone else who professes to be a Christian that they aren't "the real thing" and that I am, although I've been told that many times myself.
:clap Okay, thank you. That's nice that you don't judge others to be false Christians.

Why do you believe these things, if I may ask?

jonny

I'm a Christian because I believe in Christ and follow his teachings. I believe Jesus Christ is the son of God and that he died for my sins. I believe that it is only through Christ that I can be saved.

For many this isn't enough. Most Christians from other faiths who I've discussed this with have told me I'm not a Christian because I'm a Mormon. Honestly, their judgement doesn't matter to me. The only judgment on the issue I care about it Christ's judgement. If he doesn't think I've led a Christian life worthy of living with him, which I have always tried to do, I'll probably be more comfortable in hell.

I guess in the end it will all work itself out. :)

jonny said:
I'm a Christian because I believe in Christ and follow his teachings. I believe Jesus Christ is the son of God and that he died for my sins. I believe that it is only through Christ that I can be saved.
:bounce Okay, thank you.

For many this isn't enough. Most Christians from other faiths who I've discussed this with have told me I'm not a Christian because I'm a Mormon. Honestly, their judgement doesn't matter to me. The only judgment on the issue I care about it Christ's judgement. If he doesn't think I've led a Christian life worthy of living with him, which I have always tried to do, I'll probably be more comfortable in hell.
I used to be Mormon, but I'm agnostic.

I guess in the end it will all work itself out. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Immortal Awakened said:
:clap Okay, thank you. That's nice that you don't judge others to be false Christians.

Why do you believe these things, if I may ask?
I don't know that I can explain it very well. It's just something that deep, deep inside me rings true. I almost feel as if I were born believing in God. I can hardly even remember specifically being taught that He exists, although I did learn at a very young age that He answered my prayers. I learned for myself, through an almost funny, but very powerful experience, that I could talk to Him and He'd listen. I've actually tried to conceive of Him not existing and I simply can't do it!

As for being a Christian and a Latter-day Saint, I was born into the faith I now embrace. But I would consider my parents (my dad, especially) to be quite "liberal" by typical LDS standards. He taught me that I shouldn't just accept everything I ever heard taught from the pulpit as fact, and that I should figure out for myself what to believe. My dad taught at the University of Utah. One of the courses he taught was "Intellectual Traditions of the West." It was a course that dealt with philosophical thought through the ages. He was quite a deep thinker and encouraged me to question, stressing that it was by questioning that we learn. If he hadn't specifically taught me to doubt, I don't think he would have been as successful a father as he was. (We buried him twelve years ago today.)

Over the years, I've questioned, doubted, read, studied and prayed -- and have come to the decision that I am where I belong. I hope that answers your questions. :)

Deut 13:1

Katzpur said:
Over the years, I've questioned, doubted, read, studied and prayed -- and have come to the decision that I am where I belong. I hope that answers your questions. :)
Have you ever studied the Oral Law that goes hand-in-hand w/ the written? :)

Todd

Rajun Cajun
Immortal Awakened said:
:bounce Okay, thank you.

I used to be Mormon, but I'm agnostic.
I agree with Katzpur and Jonny's explanation on this. I believe that in order to be a Christian, you must believe that Jesus died for your sins so that we might live eternally.

There are many different disagreements between the Christian denominations. Many of which are trivial. Example: One denomination might believe you can drink alcohol, and another might not. I don't think these are major issues. If you believe Jesus died on the Cross for your sins, and that he is your salvation, then you are saved. However, I can't judge who is saved and who is not....that's up to God.

Romans chapter 9 through 10 sums up my belief on this topic.
9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

greatcalgarian

(1) Believe there is a bible God as defined in OT
(2) Believe in Trinity as espounded by the council around AD 400
(3) Then there is a variety of faith and beliefs required to be a true Christian such as to accept Jesus as your personal savior, to be baptised, to attend church every Sunday, to practice communion of drinking wine and eating bread, to evangelize, to study bible.
P.S. I am not a Christian, but that is what I understand what a true Christian has to be, the minimum requirement.

SPLogan

The Nicene Creed possibly the most universally agreed upon statement of faith in the Christian religion. It reads as follows:

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.
Who, for us men for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.
And I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of Life; who proceeds from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets. And I believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.
:jam:

Why do so many Christians agree upon it? I guess, collectively, they perceive it as most Biblically accurate.

Merlin

Todd said:
I agree with Katzpur and Jonny's explanation on this. I believe that in order to be a Christian, you must believe that Jesus died for your sins so that we might live eternally.

There are many different disagreements between the Christian denominations. Many of which are trivial. Example: One denomination might believe you can drink alcohol, and another might not. I don't think these are major issues. If you believe Jesus died on the Cross for your sins, and that he is your salvation, then you are saved. However, I can't judge who is saved and who is not....that's up to God.

9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
Good answer. I also believe there are many answers in Romans.

I think some of the other respondents are being truthful, but also slightly economic with the truth. All Christian denominations will state their primary belief is in Jesus Christ as the saviour. But if you press them further, they will eventually (often reluctantly) inform you that to receive His full salvation you must worship in their church, be baptised by their priest, and go through their own particular rituals.

Some claim that you will not get to heaven at all outside of their denomination, some say yes you will but only as a sort of 'associate member' until you have joined the true church (in their view).

Merlin

SPLogan said:
The Nicene Creed possibly the most universally agreed upon statement of faith in the Christian religion. It reads as follows:

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.
Who, for us men for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.
And I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of Life; who proceeds from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets. And I believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Why do so many Christians agree upon it? I guess, collectively, they perceive it as most Biblically accurate.
Good answer. If only all Christians have this as their primary creed it would mean there would only be one denomination. The problem is, in order to everybody to have their own church, they have overlaid with lots of other requirements.

Katzpur said:
I don't know that I can explain it very well. It's just something that deep, deep inside me rings true. I almost feel as if I were born believing in God. I can hardly even remember specifically being taught that He exists, although I did learn at a very young age that He answered my prayers. I learned for myself, through an almost funny, but very powerful experience, that I could talk to Him and He'd listen. I've actually tried to conceive of Him not existing and I simply can't do it!
i believed in a god growing up, but i began to find many inconsistencies with the god concepts that organized religious leaders had presented to me; so i figured that a god wouldnt be so inconsistent; the god of the bible is very violent

As for being a Christian and a Latter-day Saint, I was born into the faith I now embrace. But I would consider my parents (my dad, especially) to be quite "liberal" by typical LDS standards. He taught me that I shouldn't just accept everything I ever heard taught from the pulpit as fact, and that I should figure out for myself what to believe. My dad taught at the University of Utah. One of the courses he taught was "Intellectual Traditions of the West." It was a course that dealt with philosophical thought through the ages. He was quite a deep thinker and encouraged me to question, stressing that it was by questioning that we learn. If he hadn't specifically taught me to doubt, I don't think he would have been as successful a father as he was. (We buried him twelve years ago today.)
thats nice that you had a father that could teach you those things, and also teach you to question, so that you could learn; my father isnt religious, so i had to rely on churches to teach me things, but they couldnt answer many of my questions; i think that belief in a god concept helps alot of people, but it depends on what kind of a god concept that people hold to

:) thank you

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Katzpur said:
I believe myself to be a Christian because I worship Jesus Christ as my Savior.

Hi Katzpur,

First of all i'm sorry to get my nose into this thread which supposed to be for christians only but i'm just curious because a LDS christian once told me that they didn't worship Jesus but they say he is the son of God, the savior.

Moreover, they only worship God "the father".

What do you say about that? and is there many sects within LDS itself or this is only depend in the personal beliefs for that christian?

(( I'm not here to debate but just to ask because i'm curious only. :eek: ))

Todd said:
i believe that Jesus died for the Jews, as was required in their relgious system of sacrifice; but non-Jews dont require death sacrifices like they had in the old testament, so non-Jews dont require someone to die on a cross for them

i had many christians place judgments on whether i was saved or not; i figured if they had so many disagreements about my salvation, that they didnt really know what it was to be saved either way

i believe that Jesus rose from the dead, but i dont believe in his penchant for violence as recorded in the new testament book of revelation; there are several immortals depicted in the scriptures, but i dont acknowledge them as gods; immortals like Elijah, Jesus or Enoch are not meant to be worshipped; thats nothing more than idolatry, like worshipping angels; Paul and Barnabas turned down worship when people tried to worship them in the book of Acts.

----

greatcalgarian said:
(1) Believe there is a bible God as defined in OT
i believe that the 'god' represented in the old testament are actually angels; and that a cosmological god (omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent) does not actually directly appear anywhere in the old testament

(2) Believe in Trinity as espounded by the council around AD 400
okay, this is an extra-biblical basis of belief that many christians ascribe to

(3) Then there is a variety of faith and beliefs required to be a true Christian such as to accept Jesus as your personal savior, to be baptised, to attend church every Sunday, to practice communion of drinking wine and eating bread, to evangelize, to study bible.
this seems to vary from church to church

P.S. I am not a Christian, but that is what I understand what a true Christian has to be, the minimum requirement.
im agnostic myself

----

SPLogan said:

do christians base their faith in extra-biblical religious documents? how can one know that this document is accurate?

----

Merlin said:
Good answer. I also believe there are many answers in Romans.

I think some of the other respondents are being truthful, but also slightly economic with the truth.
often when i get more specific with my questioning, many christians start to sideskirt some of the issues that i raise; i find that there are often many 'secret doctrines' that they dont like to be probed over; so then i just let them be, and go with many questions unanswered

All Christian denominations will state their primary belief is in Jesus Christ as the saviour. But if you press them further, they will eventually (often reluctantly) inform you that to receive His full salvation you must worship in their church, be baptised by their priest, and go through their own particular rituals.
this is why i ask what constitutes a true christian versus a false christian; almost every one of these christian denominations believe that there are both true christians and false christians in the world

Some claim that you will not get to heaven at all outside of their denomination, some say yes you will but only as a sort of 'associate member' until you have joined the true church (in their view).
fundamentalist protestants have asserted that i will not go to heaven outside of unity with the fundamentalist movement

Merlin said:
Good answer. If only all Christians have this as their primary creed it would mean there would only be one denomination. The problem is, in order to everybody to have their own church, they have overlaid with lots of other requirements.
i find it hard to believe that if christians all agreed in one creed that it would still lead to so many different denominations

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
As a Christian, I believe that we are spiritual beings going through trials and initiations to achieve higher levels of being. Jesus was a man, Christ is what he became after his baptism of the Holy Spirit. Jesus is like the valadictorian of this school. He reached a higher level of initiation than any other person in the history of this world. I believe that Jesus is the light on the path of Christ. And I believe that Christians are those who wish to follow the path of Christ.

EnhancedSpirit said:
As a Christian, I believe that we are spiritual beings going through trials and initiations to achieve higher levels of being.
i believe this too, but im agnostic

Jesus was a man, Christ is what he became after his baptism of the Holy Spirit. Jesus is like the valadictorian of this school. He reached a higher level of initiation than any other person in the history of this world. I believe that Jesus is the light on the path of Christ. And I believe that Christians are those who wish to follow the path of Christ.
hhmm, okay, thanks ;)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Todd said:

I like that, Todd, I guess it goes along pretty well with what I believe.

I find it very sad that some Christians believe themselves to be better 'Christians' than others - although, if it makes them feel better, I guess there's no harm.......... I suppose if we get upset by them telling us we are wrong, that is just down to our own insecurities.;)

michel said:
I find it very sad that some Christians believe themselves to be better 'Christians' than others -
agreed

although, if it makes them feel better, I guess there's no harm..........
thats only if they dont open their mouth about it, and project it on others; the judgment mentality is characteristically driven by self-inflation

I suppose if we get upset by them telling us we are wrong, that is just down to our own insecurities.;)
:tsk: if they are telling others that theyre wrong, it is more likely that they are the ones who are insecure, as opposed to the others that they are judging; they should look to themselves first; its a boundaries thing