• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a Christian I'm against religion.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe this has its roots in the reformation. There was a desire to remove all the attachments made by the RCC as extra baggage that isn't needed. The Quakers are more symptomatic not having ministers nor a form of worship but dropping the eucharist appears to be getting rid of the baby with the bathwater to me.

Yes, I largely agree. Modern Evangelicals just take the thinking to the nth degree and invent a definition of "religion" to oppose that is neither in the dictionary nor in the Bible.

MatthewA

I too don’t care about religion. Though I believe a healthy relationship with God and Jesus Christ is important to me and for anyone seeking to have a relationship with God and Jesus Christ.

MatthewA

@Barry Johnson that is good you complied that list.

The biggest problem I have with religion is placing burdens on peoples lives by making demands they must adhere to otherwise they are cut off, I do not like the idea of having a person over me telling I must do this or I must do that: especially in the case of Christianity.

The Bible is there is a tool (which is all types of formats, from book to audiobook to listen, or even Braille as far as I’m concerned.)

I believe anyone can go and pick up a Bible and easily follow along and read though king James is hard for some would recommended new living translation for easier read, but there is more to it than just reading it, yet looking deep within to see all of the things that are going on and being said.

Im reminded when Jesus Christ was in court and he was spit on and beat in the face; he persecutors couldn’t remember what He really said about the temple being torn down; or something and no one ever found fault in Christ Jesus while he was on trail but they desired for him to die because they hated him for who he was, and I believe He was man but inwardly inside of him was more, and I believe that Jesus came from above and was the Word of God.

That is the most fascinating thing over all religions about Christianity; Jesus Christ came and lived as a sinless man; and yet we as all imperfect and yet he was perfect and was tempted in all things, yet lived to please His Father and not himself for the Love of His Father and for all of mankind. He died and was risen again by God paying for the sins of all mankind that anyone who placed their faith and trust in Him May move forward into having a relationship by prayer, reading scripture, learning about God and are given the Holy Spirit/spirit of Christ, that transforms their heart.

It is all a choice and people can go and read about and learn or just be okay with what information they have been given through out their entire life about who Jesus is from other people who may not have a full grasp on who he really is; my hope is that people will go and just see at least what God has to offer by and through the Lord Jesus Christ.

I don’t hate others in their religions, hate is not the Christian way; I do however believe religion can place a huge demand on a person to live up to especially if they are making demands upon others or in some type of cult like thing which created hive mind thinking and no freedom to think other wise.

Just some thoughts.

John1.12

Free gift
I believe all authentic religions, not made-up artificial ones like Scientology or some hate group usurping the name of God, like Christian Nationalism, is the desire to find Truth, Beauty, and Goodness. I cannot understand how that is Satanic, which symbolizes the opposite of the Divine, worshipping death and chaos and power over others.

But religions are made up of individuals, and most often, those in positions of power and leadership are not Awakened individuals, and religion becomes an extension of their egos. They are the 'Religious but not Spiritual' crowd (RBNS), as the insidious opposite of 'Spiritual but not Religious' crowd (SBNR).

And what makes them "satanic", if anything, is that the lower, carnal impulses are called the highest good, that they are "serving God", when in reality, they are 'usurping God". It becomes insidious, because it is 'evil' masquerading as 'good'. "Wolves, in sheep's clothing". So devious it is, the person doing it themselves is deceived that they are doing good.

So both exist within religions made up of humans. Some reaching to the Divine, others co-opting the Divine for power and gain. The latter is 'Satanic', but that is not the core of religion, rather, it comes with religion because it is made up of humans all at different stages. The core of religion, what gives it life at all, is the desire to transcend the carnal, or that which does the opposite of serving Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.

What really determines the health of the religion is simple, "By their fruits you shall know them". Take Jan. 6 for example as the fruit of a form of Christianity that stormed the Capitol. Is that godly, or satanic? Once you strip away the language of serving God, what you see is death and violence on a bed of lies. That's 'Satanic' by definition.
The reference to some religions being ' satanic ' is not what we would necessarily consider ' bad ' . The bible describes Satan as an angel of light . He doesn't come with pointy horns , a pitch fork and dressed in red . No he appeals to what easily deceives a person . Religion ,being a tool to seduce people away from God . This is all through the OT ( Associated with the earlier religions like Baal worship, Molech and such. And then in the NT ,the greek and Roman religions / gods . The idea being, similar beliefs and practices ,repackaged , re branded over and over ,with the same false Spirits behind them .

John1.12

Free gift
@Barry Johnson that is good you complied that list.

The biggest problem I have with religion is placing burdens on peoples lives by making demands they must adhere to otherwise they are cut off, I do not like the idea of having a person over me telling I must do this or I must do that: especially in the case of Christianity.

The Bible is there is a tool (which is all types of formats, from book to audiobook to listen, or even Braille as far as I’m concerned.)

I believe anyone can go and pick up a Bible and easily follow along and read though king James is hard for some would recommended new living translation for easier read, but there is more to it than just reading it, yet looking deep within to see all of the things that are going on and being said.

Im reminded when Jesus Christ was in court and he was spit on and beat in the face; he persecutors couldn’t remember what He really said about the temple being torn down; or something and no one ever found fault in Christ Jesus while he was on trail but they desired for him to die because they hated him for who he was, and I believe He was man but inwardly inside of him was more, and I believe that Jesus came from above and was the Word of God.

That is the most fascinating thing over all religions about Christianity; Jesus Christ came and lived as a sinless man; and yet we as all imperfect and yet he was perfect and was tempted in all things, yet lived to please His Father and not himself for the Love of His Father and for all of mankind. He died and was risen again by God paying for the sins of all mankind that anyone who placed their faith and trust in Him May move forward into having a relationship by prayer, reading scripture, learning about God and are given the Holy Spirit/spirit of Christ, that transforms their heart.

It is all a choice and people can go and read about and learn or just be okay with what information they have been given through out their entire life about who Jesus is from other people who may not have a full grasp on who he really is; my hope is that people will go and just see at least what God has to offer by and through the Lord Jesus Christ.

I don’t hate others in their religions, hate is not the Christian way; I do however believe religion can place a huge demand on a person to live up to especially if they are making demands upon others or in some type of cult like thing which created hive mind thinking and no freedom to think other wise.

Just some thoughts.
I agree with you . We definitely should not attach hate or anything bad towards those that follow other religions . I believe that even some of their founders were sincere also .

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
1) I do not mean I'm against people who are in a religion . Prejudice or bigoted .

2) Yes I'm making the distinction between What I believe and' religion '.
Its the same thought when you look up the definition of a cult compared with a biblical definition of a cult . Its the same with 'religion '. The dictionary definition would lead some to put everyone in the same basket so to speak . The bible makes a distinction in the NT .

3) I Do see 'religion' as harmful and ultimately leads people away from God .

4 ) There are some religions that are man made . For power and control. But ultimately I believe each religion is satanic at the core of them.

5) No I don't believe everyone is bad , satanic , or such ,who follow a 'religion '
. Yes the motivation to join can be good . I believe no one is dumb for Joining a religion . I believe people are sincere who Join and even their founders sincere .

6 ) Yes I know this sounds contradictory and confusing. No I'm not superior or the only person to never be deceived.
But this is the perspective of what I believe the bible says .
7 ) Yes ,even within Christianity the pull to 'religion ' is Strong and can lead Christians to be come ' religious '

8) Yes I believe 'religion ' is responsible for SOME wars . Yes I believe its responsible for , conflict and spiritual abuse also
9 )Relatively speaking, not all religion is bad .
Any questions lol ?
I get somewhat annoyed when the religion of God gets a bad rap for what people did with that religion after it was revealed by the Messenger of God who established that religion. Religion in its truest form is religion is the religion in its springtime, before it got corrupted by man.

“All that lives, and this includes the religions, have springtime, a time of maturity, of harvest and wintertime. Then religion becomes barren, a lifeless adherence to the letter uninformed by the spirit, and man’s spiritual life declines. When we look at religious history, we see that God has spoken to men precisely at times when they have reached the nadir of their degradation and cultural decadence. Moses came to Israel when it was languishing under the Pharaoh’s yoke, Christ appeared at a time when the Jewish Faith had lost its power and culture of antiquity was in its death those. Muhammad came to a people who lived in barbaric ignorance at the lowest level of culture and into a world in which the former religions had strayed far away from their origins and nearly lost their identity. The Bab addressed Himself to a people who had irretrievably lost their former grandeur and who found themselves in a state of hopeless decadence. Baha’u’llah came to a humanity which was approaching the most critical phase of its history.” (Udo Schaefer, The Light Shineth in Darkness, p. 24)

Just because you want to dissociate from all the bad things man has done in the name of Christianity, you cannot escape from the fact that Christianity is a religion, since it was revealed by Jesus by virtue of the New Testament scriptures, and Jesus represented God and revealed God in the kingdom of creation.

The Baha'i definition of religion, how and why it is revealed and what happens over the course of time is as follows.

“And now concerning thy question regarding the nature of religion. Know thou that they who are truly wise have likened the world unto the human temple. As the body of man needeth a garment to clothe it, so the body of mankind must needs be adorned with the mantle of justice and wisdom. Its robe is the Revelation vouchsafed unto it by God. Whenever this robe hath fulfilled its purpose, the Almighty will assuredly renew it. For every age requireth a fresh measure of the light of God. Every Divine Revelation hath been sent down in a manner that befitted the circumstances of the age in which it hath appeared.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 81

John1.12

Free gift
That's cool... because as a religion myself, I am against Christians.

Oh wait, you mean we weren't just playing fast and loose with definitions and labels? I could have sworn...
I'm not against Muslims , Hindus , Mormons, Jehovah's_Witnesses, Catholics and such , Just the 'Religions ' .
That's a distinction that makes all the difference. Why are you against Christians ?

MatthewA

The Bible indicates what pure religion looks like.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm not against Muslims , Hindus , Mormons, Jehovah's_Witnesses, Catholics and such , Just the 'Religions ' .
That's a distinction that makes all the difference. Why are you against Christians ?
Do i understand you correctly if i say you are more of a spiritual follower of Christ than a religious Christian?

John1.12

Free gift
I believe all authentic religions, not made-up artificial ones like Scientology or some hate group usurping the name of God, like Christian Nationalism, is the desire to find Truth, Beauty, and Goodness. I cannot understand how that is Satanic, which symbolizes the opposite of the Divine, worshipping death and chaos and power over others.

But religions are made up of individuals, and most often, those in positions of power and leadership are not Awakened individuals, and religion becomes an extension of their egos. They are the 'Religious but not Spiritual' crowd (RBNS), as the insidious opposite of 'Spiritual but not Religious' crowd (SBNR).

And what makes them "satanic", if anything, is that the lower, carnal impulses are called the highest good, that they are "serving God", when in reality, they are 'usurping God". It becomes insidious, because it is 'evil' masquerading as 'good'. "Wolves, in sheep's clothing". So devious it is, the person doing it themselves is deceived that they are doing good.

So both exist within religions made up of humans. Some reaching to the Divine, others co-opting the Divine for power and gain. The latter is 'Satanic', but that is not the core of religion, rather, it comes with religion because it is made up of humans all at different stages. The core of religion, what gives it life at all, is the desire to transcend the carnal, or that which does the opposite of serving Truth, Beauty, and Goodness.

What really determines the health of the religion is simple, "By their fruits you shall know them". Take Jan. 6 for example as the fruit of a form of Christianity that stormed the Capitol. Is that godly, or satanic? Once you strip away the language of serving God, what you see is death and violence on a bed of lies. That's 'Satanic' by definition.
I would define any religion that leads people away from God as potentially Satanic . They may lead to 'inner peace ' , Happiness , success, a better life even but this is also the exact lure satan uses .

John1.12

Free gift
Do i understand you correctly if i say you are more of a spiritual follower of Christ than a religious Christian?
It would depend on what you mean by a ' spiritual follower and a religious Christian.
My definition of religion is best explained as at the heart of all 'religions ' that i believe is distinct from being a Christian.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I just love how some Christians want to circumvent religion in the name a a 'relationship' with God and Jesus Christ.
That way they do not have to follow any of the laws that Jesus revealed. Kind of handy if you ask me. ;)

The problem with that is that they are not really following Jesus, they are betraying Jesus and following Paul and the Church teachings.

Matthew 5:17-18
King James Version

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

And then Paul did away with the Law, how convenient. :rolleyes:

John1.12

Free gift
If that's the lure satan uses, satan doesn't seem like that bad of a guy, honestly. o_O
Of course he doesn't sound like a bad guy to some ,because that's how he deceives. He does destroy and kill but he also promises ' peace ', success, fame , and will have people caught in a bind of religious observances, rituals, practices , guilt, self focus, ever chasing but never arriving at the truth . Keeping you blinded from the truth . What better way than 'religion ' ? Look at how much the world is obsessed and preoccupied by it .

John1.12

Free gift
I just love how some Christians want to circumvent religion in the name a a 'relationship' with God and Jesus Christ.
That way they do not have to follow any of the laws that Jesus revealed. Kind of handy if you ask me. ;)

The problem with that is that they are not really following Jesus, they are betraying Jesus and following Paul and the Church teachings.

Matthew 5:17-18
King James Version

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

And then Paul did away with the Law, how convenient. :rolleyes:
No saved person ( Christian) is under the law anymore .

Romans 6:14

“For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.”

A Vestigial Mote

It was mostly a joke - a post just to get that first, comical sentence out there.

In reality, I am not against "the people" who are Christians - I am against Christianity. And the reasons are myriad. The biggest however are (1) a stark lack of compelling evidence, (2) terribly nonsensical mythos and (3) I find the arguments Christians make in defense of their faith to be intellectually irresponsible not to mention downright embarrassing.

MatthewA

Some people believe Satan is still roaming around. I do not; I believe people make their own choices, and some may have misinformation and believe it without regards of trying to figure out of what has been told them is true or not.

I believe people make choices and if they will willingly reject anything that doesn’t line up with how they think, it is one of the reasons why the Bible is also so hard to get into because it is like looking in to a mirror when you follow the Lord and listen to his teaches, you become understanding even more so of the human nature that is within us all, that causes to hate, be greedy and all everything else you can think of because of this flesh we live in.

When it comes to spiritual things even faith the flesh hates the idea and fights against it: especially when it comes to reading the Bible. The Bible makes these things very clear.

People makes choices and I don’t judge or condemn them of their choice because that is what they want and desire.

Satan doesn’t have power over anyone; people are drawn away and enticed by whatever is they enjoy according to the Bible, James 1:14. Because it is their own choice; just like it was my own choice to make every single decision in my own personal life.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It would depend on what you mean by a ' spiritual follower and a religious Christian.
My definition of religion is best explained as at the heart of all 'religions ' that i believe is distinct from being a Christian.
Spiritual Christian is one who do not following doctrines as they do in Religions.

John1.12

Free gift
It was mostly a joke - a post just to get that first, comical sentence out there.

In reality, I am not against "the people" who are Christians - I am against Christianity. And the reasons are myriad. The biggest however are (1) a stark lack of compelling evidence, (2) terribly nonsensical mythos and (3) I find the arguments Christians make in defense of their faith to be intellectually irresponsible not to mention downright embarrassing.
I respect you being against something and not the followers of the something ,because that was my point also .