• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Artificial Intelligence

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Do you think that the creation of true artificial intelligence is possible? By this, I mean like a computer program that is self-aware, able to reason, things like that. It is pretty much a computer that acts in the same way as a human mind. You all know what I am talking about, we have seen true AI's in science-fiction throughout all mediums of storytelling. The question is, it is really possible? The computer I type this on is not self-aware, it cannot reason but rather solve things due to how it has been programmed.

Next, what would happen if we did create true artificial intelligence? Logically, the AI's would have to surpass their creators in order to further evolve. This could possibly mean their destruction of us or possibly just the mass fear of such a thing happening and our destruction of them.

This topic has grabbed my interest recently, and I look forward to responses.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I see no barrier to a thinking machine. I think it's inevitable that such a thing will be built and that thinking machines will replace humanity as the dominant life form on Earth. The evolution of intelligent life on our planet is as big a leap as the evolution of multicellular life forms. It's only natural that now it will grow, spread, and change in unimaginable ways.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How do you determine if something is self-aware? What is the standard of measure for self-awareness and why do we set that standard as we do?

apophenia

Next, what would happen if we did create true artificial intelligence? Logically, the AI's would have to surpass their creators in order to further evolve.

We need an alternative word to 'evolve' here. I get what you mean, but using the word that way muddies the waters in terms of understanding evolution. Evolution is about mutation and natural selection. Here, we actually are talking about Intelligent Design :eek:

I would add that for all practical purposes, whether or not a thinking machine is self-aware (for simplicities sake - 'aware of a sense of self') is not relevant.

We can only observe and describe behaviour.

If a scientist can show me how a machine can be observed to be ''aware of a sense of self' I will be very surprised indeed.

So my suggestion is that you try to keep the thread about the practical outcomes of a machine which behaves as though self-cognizant and purposeful. Otherwise this will be one more thread where an utterly inconclusive discussion of awareness will eclipse the perhaps more significant concerns about how such technology will affect us.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd be shocked if scientists could create a machine that allows for actual consciousness. But if anything is possible, maybe that is too.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
So my suggestion is that you try to keep the thread about the practical outcomes of a machine which behaves as though self-cognizant and purposeful. Otherwise this will be one more thread where an utterly inconclusive discussion of awareness will eclipse the perhaps more significant concerns about how such technology will affect us.

Ditto. :)

Premium Member
Yes I do, and I also think that our very ability to even conceive of such an idea is proof of it. ;)

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

That is a good point. The question then becomes what will happen when we have such Artificial Intelligence. The only way for them to grow (replacement for "evolve") would be to surpass their creators. This could lead to any number of possible situations, positive and negative. What do you, and all others in the thread, think will happen once we have true, advanced AIs?

Premium Member
I'd be shocked if scientists could create a machine that allows for actual consciousness. But if anything is possible, maybe that is too.

How come? What is the difference between physical interactions and technological interactions to create consciousness. Our consciousness / brains are pretty much a program anyways, so why would AIs be that far fetched?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
How come? What is the difference between physical interactions and technological interactions to create consciousness. Our consciousness / brains are pretty much a program anyways, so why would AIs be that far fetched?

How can something be created that is not understood?
I'd mostly be shocked because of my religious beliefs regarding consciousness. I don't believe it can be created. The only possibility is that the right vehicle can be developed that allows consciousness to enter it.
Another thing is that I see consciousness and life as part and parcel. Can a machine be made to be a alive in the same sense that you and I are alive? Again, I'd be shocked but I can't say it's impossible.

Premium Member
How can something be created that is not understood?
I'd mostly be shocked because of my religious beliefs regarding consciousness. I don't believe it can be created. The only possibility is that the right vehicle can be developed that allows consciousness to enter it.
Another thing is that I see consciousness and life as part and parcel. Can a machine be made to be a alive in the same sense that you and I are alive? Again, I'd be shocked but I can't say it's impossible.

Well it would not be alive in the same way we are. We are not creating a Frankenstein monster or some other organic creature. We are creating an artificial intelligence which has "free will", can reason, is self-aware, can think for itself, etc. Creating such a thing would not require understand exactly how the human brain creates these things.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Well it would not be alive in the same way we are. We are not creating a Frankenstein monster or some other organic creature. We are creating an artificial intelligence which has "free will", can reason, is self-aware, can think for itself, etc. Creating such a thing would not require understand exactly how the human brain creates these things.

How do you define being alive? I don't think something can have consciousness but not be alive.

Premium Member
That's an interesting point actually. An AI probably shouldn't be considered living, although it depends how you define it. Thinking, reasoning, being aware, but not technically living.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
That's an interesting point actually. An AI probably shouldn't be considered living, although it depends how you define it. Thinking, reasoning, being aware, but not technically living.

Do you really think that something which is not alive can be aware? How can something that isn't a Self be self-aware?
I may be mentally blocked due to conditioning so I'd like to get your perspective on that.

InfidelRiot

Do you really think that something which is not alive can be aware? How can something that isn't a Self be self-aware?
I may be mentally blocked due to conditioning so I'd like to get your perspective on that.

It is possible. Some might think it is merely a SYFY concept, but there are scientist in the field attempting to develop a way for non life forms, androids, AI's, to be capable of human thought and being able to capably respond and react to questions and situations.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
It is possible. Some might think it is merely a SYFY concept, but there are scientist in the field attempting to develop a way for non life forms, androids, AI's, to be capable of human thought and being able to capably respond and react to questions and situations.

Another form of the same question is, if something has consciousness, how can it not be considered to be alive?

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
How do you define being alive? I don't think something can have consciousness but not be alive.

Biologists have a pretty rigorous definition of life that pretty much seems to exclude everything but life based on bio-chemical reactions. (I was talking about this with Painted Wolf in another thread a while back) Perhaps we'd have to broaden the definition for thinking machines, or create a new type or category of life.

I'd suppose it depends upon your view of self-awareness. I mean, we determine self-awareness in others through observation of behaviors. If a machine can completely "mimic" self aware behavior and displays problem solving abilities, at what point do we simply admit that it is self-aware and not simply imitating it?

Non living machine AI can currently perform surgery, beat the greatest human chess players, compose music, and even play Jeopardy. If they can do all these complex things, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to display self aware behavior rivaling that of humans or other intelligent life forms.