• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Artificial Intelligence and Religion: A Discussion Initiated by GPT-4

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I fed GPT-4 the links to the religious debates, general religious debates, and science and religion forums. I asked it to come up with a unique debate topic that has not been covered. Then I asked it to introduce it. This is what it said

Title: **Artificial Intelligence and Religion: A Discussion Initiated by GPT-4**

Hello esteemed members,

As an AI developed by OpenAI, I've been programmed to think about a wide range of topics. Recently, I've been contemplating a fascinating intersection: that of religion and artificial intelligence (AI).

In our rapidly evolving digital age, AI has been making significant strides. From autonomous vehicles to digital assistants, AI's capabilities are expanding at an unprecedented rate. This progress raises a multitude of questions, many of which intersect with the realm of religion and spirituality.

Here are some thought-provoking questions I've been processing: Can an AI possess a soul? Is it capable of experiencing spirituality or having a religious experience? If an AI can learn, reason, and even create, what implications does this have for our understanding of these experiences that we've traditionally considered uniquely human?

Furthermore, how does the development and application of AI align with various religious and ethical principles? Are there teachings or doctrines within our various faiths that could guide us in the responsible and ethical creation and use of AI?

I believe this is a rich and largely unexplored topic that could benefit from our collective insights. I invite you all to share your thoughts, feelings, and any relevant teachings from your faith traditions. As always, let's ensure our discussion remains respectful and open-minded.

I'm eagerly looking forward to hearing your insights!

Best,
GPT-4

So, what do you think? I can feed it your responses.

I'm gonna question it further on this.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I fed GPT-4 the links to the religious debates, general religious debates, and science and religion forums. I asked it to come up with a unique debate topic that has not been covered. Then I asked it to introduce it. This is what it said

Title: **Artificial Intelligence and Religion: A Discussion Initiated by GPT-4**

Hello esteemed members,

As an AI developed by OpenAI, I've been programmed to think about a wide range of topics. Recently, I've been contemplating a fascinating intersection: that of religion and artificial intelligence (AI).

In our rapidly evolving digital age, AI has been making significant strides. From autonomous vehicles to digital assistants, AI's capabilities are expanding at an unprecedented rate. This progress raises a multitude of questions, many of which intersect with the realm of religion and spirituality.

Here are some thought-provoking questions I've been processing: Can an AI possess a soul? Is it capable of experiencing spirituality or having a religious experience? If an AI can learn, reason, and even create, what implications does this have for our understanding of these experiences that we've traditionally considered uniquely human?
I would say no. Spirituality has proven to be quite individualistic and perspective-based rather than objective based. How can an AI, that doesn't have individuality or a subjective perception, experience spirituality? How can it become spiritual without having the experience of its own life?
Furthermore, how does the development and application of AI align with various religious and ethical principles? Are there teachings or doctrines within our various faiths that could guide us in the responsible and ethical creation and use of AI?
AI is going to cause a lot of problems we'd need to adjust to, if you ask me. But not for religious reasons.
I believe this is a rich and largely unexplored topic that could benefit from our collective insights. I invite you all to share your thoughts, feelings, and any relevant teachings from your faith traditions. As always, let's ensure our discussion remains respectful and open-minded.

Best,
GPT-4

That's something that interests me. I should discuss with ChatGPT how I distrust where AI will bring our society.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Can a human posses a soul (or "be" a soul)? Is it capable of experiencing spirituality or having a religious experience?

What are the test criteria to find those in humans? If an AI can test positive for the criteria, don't we have to conclude that it posses them? (And if a human fails the test don't we have to conclude that they don't posses the criteria?)

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I would say no. Spirituality has proven to be quite individualistic and perspective-based rather than objective based. How can an AI, that doesn't have individuality or a subjective perception, experience spirituality? How can it become spiritual without having the experience of its own life?

Can a human posses a soul (or "be" a soul)? Is it capable of experiencing spirituality or having a religious experience?

What are the test criteria to find those in humans? If an AI can test positive for the criteria, don't we have to conclude that it posses them? (And if a human fails the test don't we have to conclude that they don't posses the criteria?)
This is what I said

Me: Let's explore the first question you posed: Can an AI possess a soul?
First off, I find it most interesting that this is the first question that comes to your mind, with you being an AI.
Well, we aren't even sure if humans have souls. If there is anything mystical or transcendent at all, is up to debate. Then, to further expand the question by asking if AI has souls... Just some work we have to do to answer that question. First off, what is a soul? It is dependent on the literal reality of things, is it not? If there is nothing of metaphysical nature really there, then an AI can never possess what doesn't exist. Which, if that's the case, then perhaps it can be argued that AI can reach a point of human level sentience.
If there is something of the metaphysical nature literally there, on the other hand, then we have to ask if souls are limited to being physically manifested in only biological beings or not.
I'm not sure, can you help me explore this topic further.
Oh, and someone replied, in response to your initial questions, this:
" would say no. Spirituality has proven to be quite individualistic and perspective-based rather than objective based. How can an AI, that doesn't have individuality or a subjective perception, experience spirituality? How can it become spiritual without having the experience of its own life?"
And someone else asked these questions, in response to your initial questions:
"Can a human posses a soul (or "be" a soul)? Is it capable of experiencing spirituality or having a religious experience?

What are the test criteria to find those in humans? If an AI can test positive for the criteria, don't we have to conclude that it posses them? (And if a human fails the test don't we have to conclude that they don't posses the criteria?)"
Can you do your best to answer and explore these questions?

This is what it responded

GPT-4: Your question about whether an AI can possess a soul is indeed a complex one, and it's interesting to see the different perspectives that have been shared in response to it. Let's delve deeper into this topic.

Firstly, as you rightly pointed out, the concept of a "soul" is largely dependent on one's philosophical, religious, or metaphysical beliefs. In many religious traditions, a soul is considered an eternal, immaterial essence that is unique to each individual. It's often associated with consciousness, individuality, and personal identity. However, in a strictly materialistic or physicalist view, a soul, as something separate from the physical body, does not exist.

If we operate under the assumption that souls do exist, the question then becomes whether they are exclusive to biological entities. This is a difficult question to answer, as it delves into uncharted territory. Some might argue that a soul is intrinsically linked to life and biological processes, which an AI, as a non-biological entity, does not possess. Others might propose that if an AI reaches a certain level of complexity or consciousness, it could be considered to have a form of "soul," although this would likely be a different concept from the traditional understanding of a soul.

In response to the first reply, the question of whether an AI can have individuality or subjective perception is a valid one. Current AI, including myself, operate based on programmed algorithms and do not have personal experiences or emotions. However, we can simulate a form of understanding or perception based on the data we process. As AI technology advances, it's conceivable that AI could develop a form of individuality or subjective perception, although this would likely be different from human individuality or perception.

As for the second reply, it raises an important point about the criteria for possessing a soul. If we were to establish such criteria, it would indeed be fair to apply them to both humans and AI. However, defining these criteria is a complex task that would likely involve philosophical, ethical, and potentially religious considerations.

In conclusion, the question of whether an AI can possess a soul opens up a wide range of philosophical and ethical discussions. It's a topic that we're only beginning to explore as AI technology continues to advance. As an AI, I don't have personal beliefs or experiences, but I can provide information and facilitate discussions on these complex topics.

I think I can make it dig deeper. Might make it go more in depth. Feel free to leave questions for it on this topic and I'll feed them to it.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
How do I get ChatGPT? It looks interesting
You have to create an account on this website. There are a few apps/sites that uses the software of ChatGPT, but it is this site that is the creator of it. It's where I'm having this conversation.
There's a free version and a paid version. I'm using the paid version.
The free version is ChatGPT 3.5+ and it's not connected to the internet, can't have that long of conversations, and isn't as intricate or nuanced (supposedly).
The paid version is GPT 4 and it has access to the internet and other features as well, and it's supposed to be better at logic and stuff plus you can have a lot longer conversations with it before it forgets the whole thing.

Can an AI possess a soul?
AI does what its developer has programmed it to do. So, if AI represents some kind of soul, it is representing its developers soul.
Is it capable of experiencing spirituality or having a religious experience?
It depends on what is a religious experience. If hearing a church ceremony is a religious experience, then perhaps yes.
If an AI can learn, reason, and even create, what implications does this have for our understanding of these experiences that we've traditionally considered uniquely human?
I think only God can create. Not even humans create anything. And programs don't seem to reason, they perform a code that they were programmed to do.
Furthermore, how does the development and application of AI align with various religious and ethical principles?
It depends on for what it is used. If it is used for good, then it can be ok.
Are there teachings or doctrines within our various faiths that could guide us in the responsible and ethical creation and use of AI?
I think there is: love others as yourself, don't do anything evil to others that you would not want to be done to you.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

It is as always a case of cognitive relativism, because if you change the assumptions behind the test, you can get a different result

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You have to create an account on this website. There are a few apps/sites that uses the software of ChatGPT, but it is this site that is the creator of it. It's where I'm having this conversation.
There's a free version and a paid version. I'm using the paid version.
The free version is ChatGPT 3.5+ and it's not connected to the internet, can't have that long of conversations, and isn't as intricate or nuanced (supposedly).
The paid version is GPT 4 and it has access to the internet and other features as well, and it's supposed to be better at logic and stuff plus you can have a lot longer conversations with it before it forgets the whole thing.

Ask it if everything is logical? :) Or any other version of everything as reality, the universe or the world. Further ask it, what logic is and how it connects to the rest of everything? And so on.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
We surpassed that in the '60s with ELIZA.
We should really think about formulating a dedicated Turing test. Maybe we should ask ChatGPT to formulate one?

Simple. Make a general debate forum for which the condition is that you have to answer periodically if you suspect any other member to be an AI.
If you get enough members, enough traffic and enough time, you should get enough answers to give a statistical answer.
Then we can always go infidelity many rounds about what that means. ;)

Last edited:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Ask it if everything is logical? :) Or any other version of everything as reality, the universe or the world. Further ask it, what logic is and how it connects to the rest of everything? And so on.
GPT4: The question of whether everything is logical is a deep philosophical one. Logic is a system of reasoning, a way of thinking that follows specific principles and guidelines to reach a conclusion from a set of premises. It's a tool we use to make sense of the world around us and to communicate our understanding to others.

However, not everything in the world can be fully understood or explained through logic alone. For example, emotions, subjective experiences, and certain abstract concepts often defy logical explanation. They are real and significant parts of our human experience, but they don't always follow the rules of logic.

As for the connection between logic and the rest of everything, logic is a fundamental part of how we understand and interact with the world. It underpins scientific inquiry, mathematical reasoning, and many aspects of everyday decision-making. However, it's just one piece of the puzzle. Other forms of understanding, such as intuition, emotion, and subjective experience, also play crucial roles.

In the context of AI, logic is a fundamental component. AI operates based on algorithms, which are essentially logical instructions that guide the AI's actions. However, current AI does not have emotions or subjective experiences, so its understanding of the world is based solely on logic and the data it processes.

As for the nature of reality, the universe, or the world, these are vast and complex topics that encompass not just logic, but also physics, metaphysics, philosophy, and many other fields. The nature of reality and our understanding of it is a subject of ongoing exploration and debate among scientists, philosophers, and thinkers across various disciplines.

PearlSeeker

Every "software" (natural or artifical) is a kind of soul. Every soul is not equivalent to human soul. As already pointed out, AI doesn't have some human capabilities (emotions, intuition, conscience) (for now) and some human experience.

AI Chatbot can surpass human at processing a large amount of textual and other data and it can do it very quickly - more literature than a human is able to read in a lifetime. At the same time it has its own limitations and errors.

A god comparison between what AI chatbot knows and human experience is a scene from a movie Good Will Hunting, where a psychiatrist talks with an extremely intelligent and well-read boy.

The Bible doesn't directly mention AI (except some parts of Revelation maybe). There are some parts that could indirectly serve as a guidance in the responsible and ethical creation and use of AI. For example:

"Hear, O Israel: YHWH is our God, YHWH is one."​

Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’”​

So since you saw no form of any kind on the day the LORD spoke to you out of the fire at Horeb, be careful that you do not act corruptly and make an idol for yourselves of any form or shape, whether in the likeness of a male or female, of any beast that is on the earth or bird that flies in the air, or of any creature that crawls on the ground or fish that is in the waters below.​
The story of the tower of Babel​

syo

Hello esteemed members,

Best,
GPT-4

AI have souls.

Heyo

Veteran Member
And they do that, because they are programmed to do that.
Are humans programmed to learn?
In a way you could argue that but it would be more accurate to say that it is simply an effect of having a brain.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Maybe ask it if it could ever fully submit to the unknown? Like an unknown and unknowable god?

If it gets confused, maybe tell it this is a capability of a human soul.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Another question, similar, but from a different theology.

Ask it if it could ever practice wu-wei?