• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Article"Silicon valley's quest to live forever "

David T

Premium Member
Silicon Valley’s Quest to Live Forever

Interesting article about eternal life silicon valley version. Any supporters dissenters wish to comment?

My 2 bits of ramble muse. It all seems rather isolated from reality and a rather strange fear of death to me. Death is a facinating topic we don't face it culturally, we work around it. A something bad that needs fixing. . I have a very very dead species I keep at home in a case. I pull it out and and play with it. As far as I can tell it's about 1 to 2 million years old in it's genetic blood line. Except it has no genetics literally I used a metaphor for you literalists. . No it's dead very dead and occasionally when I get it out I try and get it to weep!! Mostly it protests at my bad playing and snarls at me. Its my trusty guitar. It didn't start out as a telecaster 2 million years ago it's "evolved." Apparently natural selection survival of the fittest and genetics has determined it!!! Nevermind Darwin , that's like stone age, as well as neo Darwinism also stone age. Or stoned age maybe. And no creationism nor intelligent design has anything to do with anything at all. Don't go there, it's embarasingly off topic.

Will we play music as machines? Will the guitar and musical instruments become extinct? Oh wait they are already dead, silicon valley wants us to be like them!!! Its a very Wierd vision for me, because the dead sing with the living aready, is a machine we create living? Is there evidence in nature? I always doubt ideas when i dont see it in nature. Its an authority for me i am not an autority of it. I think that should be understood as sound science and sound religion. Not that common .

We can" believe," but we all can see that "believe" can also get very very wierd very fast.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm a transhumanist. Some transhumanists, especially the atheists who are physicalists, are pretty obsessed with the eternal life and mind uploading stuff. Many of them are quite afraid and this fear is palpable in their interviews on the subject. Although I strongly support the use of technology to enhance and better all life, including life extension, I find that deathphobic aspect of some of it to be quite sad, although I certainly can understand it as the living tend to want to keep living.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think we already live forever but a particular body doesn't and that's probably a good thing. The creator is even smarter than Silicon Valley.

I believe consciousness is non-physical, so good luck with that Silicon Valley.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Silicon Valley’s Quest to Live Forever

Interesting article about eternal life silicon valley version. Any supporters dissenters wish to comment?

My 2 bits of ramble muse. It all seems rather isolated from reality and a rather strange fear of death to me. Death is a facinating topic we don't face it culturally, we work around it. A something bad that needs fixing. . I have a very very dead species I keep at home in a case. I pull it out and and play with it. As far as I can tell it's about 1 to 2 million years old in it's genetic blood line. Except it has no genetics literally I used a metaphor for you literalists. . No it's dead very dead and occasionally when I get it out I try and get it to weep!! Mostly it protests at my bad playing and snarls at me. Its my trusty guitar. It didn't start out as a telecaster 2 million years ago it's "evolved." Apparently natural selection survival of the fittest and genetics has determined it!!! Nevermind Darwin , that's like stone age, as well as neo Darwinism also stone age. Or stoned age maybe. And no creationism nor intelligent design has anything to do with anything at all. Don't go there, it's embarasingly off topic.

Will we play music as machines? Will the guitar and musical instruments become extinct? Oh wait they are already dead, silicon valley wants us to be like them!!! Its a very Wierd vision for me, because the dead sing with the living aready, is a machine we create living? Is there evidence in nature? I always doubt ideas when i dont see it in nature. Its an authority for me i am not an autority of it. I think that should be understood as sound science and sound religion. Not that common .

We can" believe," but we all can see that "believe" can also get very very wierd very fast.

I am not sure about their fear of death. But I am pretty sure about their ignorance of basic thermodynamics.

Ciao

- viole

David T

Premium Member
I am not sure about their fear of death. But I am pretty sure about their ignorance of basic thermodynamics.

Ciao

- viole
Good point. I haven't thought of it that way but just basic science says there is a problem!!! That will go into the contemplate folder.

David T

Premium Member
I'm a transhumanist. Some transhumanists, especially the atheists who are physicalists, are pretty obsessed with the eternal life and mind uploading stuff. Many of them are quite afraid and this fear is palpable in their interviews on the subject. Although I strongly support the use of technology to enhance and better all life, including life extension, I find that deathphobic aspect of some of it to be quite sad, although I certainly can understand it as the living tend to want to keep living.
In that regard I am a transhumanism and the real deal in application daily. I work in construction not much would get done without science or the tools. Besides it always seems like a bad interface problem changing the body. Stuff goes obsolete every 18 months in the tech field already. " omg I just have to have the latest head its so cool. Seems sort of hmmm strange.

David T

Premium Member

Ciao

- viole
Btw love the metaphysical naturalist on your profile may copy That! Better than saying "I am like john muir".