• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arrival Of Muhammad Is Mentioned 34 Times(2)

john313

warrior-poet
Melody said:
I am not as familiar with the Qu'ran but does it not state that Jesus is only a prophet? That's not a superficial conflict. The test of a true prophet is that they will always prophesy correctly. If Muhammed has this wrong, then those who believe Jesus is the Messiah cannot accept him as a true prophet.
the Quran says Jesus was the Messiah, he is known as Isa Al-Masih.

Cordoba

Hello Melody:

Melody said:
As a Christian, I find that I am unable to compare messages between Muhammad and Jesus and the main stumbling block is my belief that the Christ is the Messiah.
The Qur'an clearly describes Jesus, peace be upon him, as the Messiah (Al-Maseeh), Jesus the son of Mary.

Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, told his followers that Jesus will return towards the end, so on that point there is no conflict.

Melody

Cordoba said:
The Qur'an clearly describes Jesus, peace be upon him, as the Messiah (Al-Maseeh), Jesus the son of Mary.

Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, told his followers that Jesus will return towards the end, so on that point there is no conflict.
I think we're probably using two different meanings. When I say Messiah, I mean that He is God. I don't think this is a muslim belief.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Messiah, Jesus...jesus, messiah...messiah messiah messiah

*rubs sides of head* ow...anyone got any advil or scotch? single malt, 12 year if possible

Cordoba

john313 said:
messiah simply means: the annointed one.
Why was Prophet `Isa (Jesus peace and blessings be upon him) given the title of Messiah?

The word messiah is an anglicized form of the Hebrew word, moshiach. Its root word, mashach, is found about 140 times in the Old Testament, and means “to smear, anoint, or spread.”

Mashach in Hebrew or masaha (literally to rub, to massage) in Arabic, has the meaning of anointing someone in a religious ceremony by putting holy water or oil on them. Priests and kings were anointed when being consecrated to their offices. Prophets were anointed by God in the sense that they were specially chosen by God for a specific religious mission.

In fact, the Bible is replete with “anointed” ones. Although, every prophet of God is an anointed one of God, the title Messiah or its translation “Christ” is exclusively reserved for Jesus the son of Mary (`Isa ibn Maryam) in both Islam and in Christianity. This is not unusual in religion.

We may say that the title Messiah stands for any one who has been chosen by God for a significant mission. In Judaism that mission was crucial to them, namely the restoration of the line of King David—or the establishment of the Law of God on earth. Christians, on the other hand, give a new meaning to the title “The Messiah” in relation to the concept of the atonement of the Original Sin by the Son of God. To them, the Messiah is a savior who suffered and died to save sinful Man from eternal punishment in Hell.

On the one hand, Muslims accept the Jewish belief that there were prophecies about the coming of the Messiah. On the other hand, they accept the Christian claim that Jesus of Nazareth, son of Mary, was the expected Messiah, though the Jews reject this. It is also worthy of mention that Muslims deny the Christian belief that Jesus was the Son of God, who was to be crucified to atone for Man’s Original Sin.

http://www.islamonline.net/askaboutislam/display.asp?hquestionID=8824

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
jewscout said:
Messiah, Jesus...jesus, messiah...messiah messiah messiah

*rubs sides of head* ow...anyone got any advil or scotch? single malt, 12 year if possible
:banghead3 poor Jewscout, they just don't get it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
EnhancedSpirit said:
:banghead3 poor Jewscout, they just don't get it.
It doesn't have to be 12 year old for me; if it will make this thread disappear, I would drink anything.:eek:

Melody

Who doesn't get what? If I, or someone else "doesn't get it", then wouldn't it be better served to help us "get it" instead of wasting bandwidth on useless asides?

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Melody said:
Who doesn't get what? If I, or someone else "doesn't get it", then wouldn't it be better served to help us "get it" instead of wasting bandwidth on useless asides?
we have tried to better serve you, and help you understand the the word messiah has no special meaning. It was used as a general term. The anointed one. There were several anointed ones. Claiming Jesus to be the messiah, does not by definition of the term mean he is a God. I was not wasting bandwidth with useless asides. If you are concerned about bandwidth, let's get rid of the threads that are full of photos. I was only trying to get Jewscout to stop :banghead3 . He has made this statement about the meaning of the word Messiah about 100 times, and people still don't get it.

Melody

EnhancedSpirit said:
we have tried to better serve you, and help you understand the the word messiah has no special meaning. It was used as a general term. The anointed one. There were several anointed ones. Claiming Jesus to be the messiah, does not by definition of the term mean he is a God.
Perhaps not....to non-christians. That is why I was trying to clarify the term and meaning. Christians believe that Christ is God....which makes the differences in the faiths more than superficial (relating back to the previous post).

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Melody said:
Perhaps not....to non-christians. That is why I was trying to clarify the term and meaning. Christians believe that Christ is God....which makes the differences in the faiths more than superficial (relating back to the previous post).
Yes, but you are clarifying the term and meaning of your beliefs not what the bible actually says.

Melody

EnhancedSpirit said:
Yes, but are clarifying the term and meaning of your beliefs not what the bible actually says.
No, I am clarifying them according to the bible..which my beliefs are based on. Jesus claimed to be God.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Melody said:
No, I am clarifying them according to the bible..which my beliefs are based on. Jesus claimed to be God.
We were talking about the word Messiah.

This is not the Jesus is God thread.

In fact, the Bible is replete with “anointed” ones. Although, every prophet of God is an anointed one of God, the title Messiah is exclusively reserved for Jesus the son of Mary according to the majority of Christians.

Melody

EnhancedSpirit said:
We were talking about the word Messiah.

This is not the Jesus is God thread.

In fact, the Bible is replete with “anointed” ones. Although, every prophet of God is an anointed one of God, the title Messiah is exclusively reserved for Jesus the son of Mary according to the majority of Christians.
I will take exception to your use of "the majority" unless you can provide statistics to back it up.

Every church I've ever attended gave the name Messiah to only one -- Christ -- who is also God...and yes we also believe He is the anointed one and no other has that privilege.

So I think we will have to agree to disagree.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Melody said:
I will take exception to your use of "the majority" unless you can provide statistics to back it up.

Every church I've ever attended gave the name Messiah to only one -- Christ -- who is also God...and yes we also believe He is the anointed one and no other has that privilege.
If every church you ever attended believes this, than I think it would be safe to say the majority of Christians believe that there was only one messiah. But every one of God's prophets were anointed. There were many messiah. The bible says so. Why do you believe something that is contrary to the bible?