• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

arranging an exhibition?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I can do art

Have been told I'm good at it

Have decided I want to stage an exhibition of my work

How many works would I need to make an exhibition?

Has anyone here ever done an exhibition of their work?

Any advice?

I've made a start on my first piece!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I can do art

Any advice?

Depends on the size of the room....8 min?
Share with one or two other artists?
Is it viable in current situation?
Consider approaching gallery shops?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Depends on the size of the room....8 min?
Share with one or two other artists?
Is it viable in current situation?
Consider approaching gallery shops?
I haven't looked into it at all

I was hoping to have a body of work together for when the plague is over

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have an artist friend. What he displays depends on the venue. I have been to his exhibitions where he only has 8 or 9 works to others where he has over 50.

Take into account the venue, the size of your works, and possibly the expectations of the visitors although this is hard to judge for a beginner

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Any advice?

I've made a start on my first piece
Yes, I've been on both sides.
I've been in shows and also put on shows in my gallery for other artists.

Start by creating a reasonable body of work. No real gallery is going to take you seriously if you just have one or two pieces.

Then shop them around to various possibilities. Most galleries won't be interested because your work doesn't match their clientele. But, usually, they'll give you advice on how to better market your work.
Listen closely to them. Take their advice. Selling art is hard work.
Tom

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It depends on the venue. I've only ever had a few exhibitions and didn't muster the interest to pursue things after that, but here are some ideas:
  • Conventions. Some conventions permit artists to have a space as a vendor. I did this a few time back when I went to conventions for various fandoms, and usually you are selling art related to the fandom. This generally is not a space to be doing big asking prices and fine art pieces.
  • Art Fairs. Most large communities host annual art fairs. You can apply for a spot as a vendor, and this is a much better place to go for fine art of a variety of types, whether it's woodworking, ceramics, paintings, quilts, mixed media, or whatever your muse is.
  • Local Galleries. This is something you will find in most large communities as well. There should be one or a few different year round galleries where you can exhibit your pieces and sell them. The galleries will take a commission and each one has rules for minimum pieces and all that, so you just have to check with them.
  • Etsy. Many artists use online galleries to showcase their work. Etsy is just one of them - there are plenty of others. It is also a place you can get direct commissions from folks who like your style or want something custom. If you become well-known enough, or if you just want to, you could also set up your own website and vendor from there.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I can do art

Any advice?

Do a bit of research. I'd start with low key art shows and see what the public reactions are.

Its a good way to start a rep and maybe make a coin or two in the process.

Most importantly, have fun doing it!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Most importantly, have fun doing it!
This is one of the biggest problems with artists. They think their job should be fun, not work.

As a gallery owner and board member of the local art co-operative, it was really difficult explaining to people that artists are a dime a dozen. If you want to be a successful artist you have to realize that your job is selling, not making, art.

And don't believe that your family and friends who'll buy something from you are art critics. They're not. They're being nice to you, which the buying public will not be.

Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Do a bit of research. I'd start with low key art shows and see what the public reactions are.

Its a good way to start a rep and maybe make a coin or two in the process.
No it isn't.
It's a good way to spend more than you'll ever earn.

No art venue does this for their health. They do it make money. If the artist can't demonstrate an ability to produce profitable artworks reliably, they'll just get artists to keep paying until the artist's money runs out.

You might be surprised by how many self-described, undiscovered, artists have rather deep pockets. A wealthy spouse or a big inheritance and anybody can be an artist.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No it isn't.
It's a good way to spend more than you'll ever earn.

No art venue does this for their health. They do it make money. If the artist can't demonstrate an ability to produce profitable artworks reliably, they'll just get artists to keep paying until the artist's money runs out.

You might be surprised by how many self-described, undiscovered, artists have rather deep pockets. A wealthy spouse or a big inheritance and anybody can be an artist.
Tom
Shame. I paint for the sake of art. Money comes second.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
An online exhibition, or an on-wall exhibition? The latter depends on who's managing the venue. Find a place exhibiting art and show the manager your portfolio, I guess.

Check in with Sunstone. He's an artist and has some experience along this line.