• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Around 1,000 women gather in Istanbul to protest against femicides

danieldemol

Premium Member
Turkey-'ISTANBUL (Reuters) - Around 1,000 women gathered near Istanbul’s main Taksim Square on Monday, protesting what they see as a lack of action by authorities to prevent and punish violence against women, in a country where femicide rates have surged in recent years.

The protesters, mostly women carrying purple flags with women and LGBTI+ signs and wearing purple masks reading “We will win our freedom,” gathered on a main street after police closed off the entrances to Taksim Square on International Women’s Day.'

Source: Around 1,000 women gather in Istanbul to protest against femicides

This seems like a worthy protest to me.
I wonder why Turkey doesn't collect statistics on femicide. Perhaps in light of a growing trend it should do so, seems kind of negligent not to.

epronovost

If you don't have data, everything becomes a matter of opinion and that's what politicians who have no interests for women's rights finds a favorable battleground by havin the ability to simply deny or minimise the issue.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If you don't have data, everything becomes a matter of opinion and that's what politicians who have no interests for women's rights finds a favorable battleground by havin the ability to simply deny or minimise the issue.

I agree, but would also state that this can happen when you DO have data.
Some of the data collected on rape incidences over the years has lacked the veracity to be anything other than harmful to women's rights, sadly.

(Not just women's rights, but just giving an example of what I mean)

danieldemol

Premium Member
I agree, but would also state that this can happen when you DO have data.
Some of the data collected on rape incidences over the years has lacked the veracity to be anything other than harmful to women's rights, sadly.

(Not just women's rights, but just giving an example of what I mean)
Can you be more specific about how rape data has harmed women’s rights?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you be more specific about how rape data has harmed women’s rights?

Not really, without putting more effort and time in than I am willing.
However, in simple terms, the rape statistics from some countries are vastly understated.
I would hazard a guess that rape statistics in ALL countries are understated pretty heavily, actually, but even where credible reports are made, this doesn't result in accurate statistical data in many cases.

My point...simply...was that having no data causes an issue with informed discussion. But even where there IS data, the quality of that data can be impactful.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
You'd think Turkey would do something about the climbing murder rate of women especially since they have said they want women to bear at least five children each in order to bolster their population.