• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arkansas inflicts child abuse on its school children

Vee

Premium Member
Arkansas State House Republicans Pass Bill Allowing Creationism in Science Class

These children will have a lot of catching up to do when they leave school and join to the real world.

When I was in school I learned evolution, creationism, creation (not the same thing) and even something about life coming from other planets. All of those were presented as theories and the teachers left it up to us to make up our minds when we got older and had a better understanding of all that.
Didn't hurt me a bit, on the contrary, it was good to know.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Arkansas State House Republicans Pass Bill Allowing Creationism in Science Class

These children will have a lot of catching up to do when they leave school and join to the real world.
Click bait title, eh.

I wonder if the legislators imagined how many other
theories of the Earth's creation could be taught?

6 wacky creation myths around the world - Matador Network
Excerpted....
Chinese Creation Myth: Yet Another Egg?
20090604-pangu.jpg

Pan Gu! Pan Gu!

Heaven and Earth were together at the beginning of time, according to this myth. They were hanging out in a cloud that was, you guessed it, egg shaped.

But chaos was the name of the game for the universe at that time, and a giant named Pan Gu grew in the middle of it. Only took him 18,000 years of sleeping and developing in the egg until one day, he awoke and stretched. Boom, there went the egg.

The lighter egg goo, or elements if you want a nicer word, became the sky and heaven, and the heavier, yolkey- stuff became Earth. Pan Gu was a bit tense that the two might combine again, so he decided to do his part and hold the heavens on his head and the Earth underneath his feet.

Then he continued to grow for a whole other 18,000 years, until finally he felt satisfied when the two were a good 30,000 miles apart. Soon after, he died.

From his death, the Earth was bequeathed some new stuff – his arms and legs became the directions NSEW and the mountains; his blood the rivers; his sweat, the rain and dew. His voice was now thunder, and his minty-free breath, the wind. All elements of land and water came from his body, with his left eye becoming the sun, and his right eye, the moon.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There's nothing click bait about it at all. It's totally accurate.

BentleyCreation2021Bill.png
I read the quoted law.
Calling it "child abuse" is mischievous.
They just want to teach what they believe,
but the OP doesn't believe. It's wrong for
a different reason from abuse.

Is teaching children any religion also child abuse?
They're all loopy & unscientific after all.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I read the quoted law.

Depends at what cost. How much time is spent focused on each? In my education, I got a few pages of evolution taught as "this is what those guys believe." Everything else was creationism. That doesn't even include all the other messed up things that curriculum taught me. Education should absolutely be regulated, imo.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Depends at what cost. How much time is spent focused on each? In my education, I got a few pages of evolution taught as "this is what those guys believe." That doesn't even include all the other messed up things that curriculum taught me. Education should absolutely be regulated, imo.
I think it's more useful to call it what it is, ie, teaching
religious myths as science, rather than "child abuse".

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I think it's more useful to call it what it is, ie, teaching
religious myths as science, rather than "child abuse".

Hmmm... It depends, I suppose. It's definitely negatively effected me and my life (the schooling and religious situation, in the broader senee), but not everyone is so negatively impacted. It'd be interesting to explore the tipping point when it goes from a-ok to abuse.

For me, religion should only be taught in theology and anthropology classes, imo - at least in public school settings. I don't like the idea of religious schools, but meh...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hmmm... It depends, I suppose. It's definitely negatively effected me and my life (the schooling and religious situation, in the broader senee), but not everyone is so negatively impacted. It'd be interesting to explore the tipping point when it goes from a-ok to abuse.

For me, religion should only be taught in theology and anthropology classes, imo - at least in public school settings. I don't like the idea of religious schools, but meh...
I agree that teaching creationism as science
is a negative thing....just not "child abuse".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What constitutes abuse, then? Is it an act that causes trauma? What about actions that result in events to unfold that cause trauma indirectly? Hmmm...
If teaching religious tenets to public school children
is child abuse, then is all teaching of religion to children
then "child abuse"?
In both cases, children are below the age of consent,
& have no choice in the matter. In both cases, they're
taught things that are are wrong or not even wrong.

I also note that even teaching science can be child
abuse. Children pushed to hard suffer from this.
I've known some.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think its inappropriate to teach creationism in a public school, though not abusive.

If one were to teach creationism properly, they'd have to cover all cultures/religions... that would entail a class in itself. And that might be an interesting class, and would make a good elective.

Though I do not believe in creationism myself, I would like to see the condescending attitudes towards people who do removed from public school. Teach the facts as facts, the theories as theories, leave the religious or irreligious instruction at home, and let the student decide for themselves.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
If teaching religious tenets to public school children
is child abuse, then is all teaching of religion to children
then "child abuse"?
In both cases, children are below the age of consent,
& have no choice in the matter. In both cases, they're
taught things that are are wrong or not even wrong.

I also note that even teaching science can be child
abuse. Children pushed to hard suffer from this.
I've known some.

True. You make some good points!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I read the quoted law.

As put on by the state school board yes. It's abuse.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I read the quoted law.
If it's not child abuse, it is at least a scam. Calling it "education" is mischievous.

A child going to university from an Arkansas public school needs to unlearn everything and probably needs an additional introduction course and/or tutoring. S/he may miss a year or two just for re-education.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As one who grew up in a fundamentalist church that taught us to abhor "evilution", it's a difficult thing to overcome and leave, which I eventually did back in the late 1960's. I so much was involved in that church as a teen that I thought seriously about going into the ministry, but when I asked the pastor whether one could believe in both the Bible and evolution and he said no, that was something I just couldn't accept as science was my thingy.

Technically, I didn't officially leave the church at that time, but all through my college years I refused to attend that denomination's churches when living for four years in Kalamazoo, but I officially left that church a couple of years after that, mostly over the overt racism there that even the pastor acknowledged was a problem but was unwilling to speak out against it.