• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arkansas inflicts child abuse on its school children

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do. While they technically are innocent until proven guilty, experience tells me that meeting lying religious people has a higher chance than them being truthful.

Which is OK. Only that you and I can state that we have sincerely held beliefs. Religious people too often state that they have the Truth™.

Withholding information is lying by omission.
None of this justifies the harsh claim that teaching
kids creationism rises to the level of "child abuse",
which is the kind of crime necessitating the justice
system to arrest, try, convict, & imprison the offender.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Thought experiment:
A devout anarchist parent teaches their children that "property is theft" -Pierre-Joseph Proudhon. They encourage their children to take anything they need. And they tell them that anybody who is attached to their things is wrong.

Are they setting their children up for failure?
Would that constitute child abuse?
This is different from belief in something "nicht einmal falsch"
& benign. To teach kids to commit crimes is orders of magnitude
worse. It could qualify as "child abuse".
Are you saying they're equivalent scenarios?

Altfish

Veteran Member
We build a house with wood that God provided or the seed we planted to grow the tree. He provided the oxygen, rain, sun and everything needed. We could do nothing apart from Him.
I've heard it all before, I once was a Christian, then I discovered science.
I've been an atheist since i was about 13 - you won't convince me otherwise.
How do you know god is male?

I've heard it all before, I once was a Christian, then I discovered science.
I've been an atheist since i was about 13 - you won't convince me otherwise.
How do you know god is male?
A Christian is someone who is born again of the Holy Spirit. I thought I was a Christian because I said a prayer and went through some religious exercises, then I actually met God and was born again and realized I never knew Him. I know I won’t convince you, I’m just a witness. Only God can save someone, no one could convince me before, I argued everyone down, then I actually got saved and was a new person.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I read the quoted law.
Calling it "child abuse" is mischievous.
They just want to teach what they believe,
but the OP doesn't believe. It's wrong for
a different reason from abuse.

Is teaching children any religion also child abuse?
They're all loopy & unscientific after all.

I completely agree with the OP that teaching creationism in a science class is akin to child abuse.

Altfish

Veteran Member
A Christian is someone who is born again of the Holy Spirit. I thought I was a Christian because I said a prayer and went through some religious exercises, then I actually met God and was born again and realized I never knew Him. I know I won’t convince you, I’m just a witness. Only God can save someone, no one could convince me before, I argued everyone down, then I actually got saved and was a new person.
I'm pleased for you.
I am very happy with my life too. I have two wonderful children and 3 grandchildren. Lots of friends and I definitely don't need saving.

Altfish

Veteran Member
With a vote of 72 (!!) to 21

How depressing. And that for a 1st world country and the supposed "leader of the modern free world" which is supposed to be the "epicenter of scientific progress".

It's shameful and a disgrace.
Guess how many Repulicans there are and guess how many Democrats there are!!

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I think it's more useful to call it what it is, ie, teaching
religious myths as science, rather than "child abuse".

Teaching religious myths as science IS child abuse.

Child abuse isn't restricted to physical hurt.
Teaching children this nonsense does untold psychological damage in a variety of ways.

School teachers / schools in general have a big responsibility towards both society as well as the children.
Deliberately filling their heads with superstitious nonsense instead of actually teaching them science, is absolutely an abuse of those children.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
If teaching religious tenets to public school children
is child abuse, then is all teaching of religion to children
then "child abuse"?

Totally depends on the content of the religious teachings.

If you for example tell a 4-year old that he is a "sinner" and "deserves eternal torture" for being a "sinner", then YES, I'ld call that child abuse. Psychological abuse, to be exact.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Teaching religious myths as science IS child abuse.

Child abuse isn't restricted to physical hurt.
Teaching children this nonsense does untold psychological damage in a variety of ways.

School teachers / schools in general have a big responsibility towards both society as well as the children.
Deliberately filling their heads with superstitious nonsense instead of actually teaching them science, is absolutely an abuse of those children.
Your post is general enuf to include religious services.
Reasoning therefrom....
All believers, eg, Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Bahai,
Amerindian, Taoists, Buddhists, etc, are child abusers because
they also teach superstitious nonsense to their children.
Such teaching is lumped in with beatings & sexual assault, eh.
Should all these believers be arrested for child abuse?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
They're not doing that.

Teaching them superstitious nonsense instead of proper biology, geology, history, chemistry, physics, etc effectively ruins their chances of a higher education and eventual career in any of those fields.

It in fact already is a problem in high profile universities in the US. There are entire departments where they simply do not find any US students that are qualified enough to enroll. And instead, the teams/classes are filled with foreigners with an H1B visa.

And then they get their doctorate and move back home, taking their knowledge with them, where they then start innovative companies and contribute to their own economy.

And then the US is surprised that suddenly new Silicon Valley's pop up in china and india.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Your post is general enuf to include religious services.

I don't see how you can conclude that when I'm explicitly singling out teaching religious superstitious myths as science.

Does the pastor in church when reading from the bible claim that he is teaching science?
I don't think so. So no.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Totally depends on the content of the religious teachings.
The thread is specifically about this religious teaching.....
BentleyCreation2021Bill.png

So let's treat that as the content, rather than a condemnation
of all possible wrongs perpetrated in the name of religion.
If you for example tell a 4-year old that he is a "sinner" and "deserves eternal torture" for being a "sinner", then YES, I'ld call that child abuse. Psychological abuse, to be exact.
As we see in the above text of the law (from the OP's link),
it allows the teaching of....
"creationism as a theory of how the Earth came to exist"

It's not even clear that this can go beyond geology
to the beginning & evolution of life. So it I would not
presume that this also allow teaching that students
they're sinners doomed to burn in the eternal fires of Hell.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Teaching them superstitious nonsense instead of proper biology, geology, history, chemistry, physics, etc effectively ruins their chances of a higher education and eventual career in any of those fields.

It in fact already is a problem in high profile universities in the US. There are entire departments where they simply do not find any US students that are qualified enough to enroll. And instead, the teams/classes are filled with foreigners with an H1B visa.

And then they get their doctorate and move back home, taking their knowledge with them, where they then start innovative companies and contribute to their own economy.

And then the US is surprised that suddenly new Silicon Valley's pop up in china and india.
I agree that they shouldn't be taught "superstitious nonsense"
as science. I object only to calling such teaching of the creation
of Earth "child abuse". The damage done with such bad instruction
is not permanent, & is easily undone by learning science.