• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ark Encounter's Abysmal Opening Day Turnout

Skwim

Veteran Member
Just came upon the following video showing how poorly Ken Ham's Ark Park is going over. It never really got off the ground. Can anyone say "bankruptcy"? :D

"Up until July 7, the day of young earth creationist Ken Ham’s $100 million “Ark Encounter” grand opening, the coming crowds were expected to be at biblical proportions. But thanks to the watchful eye of The Friendly Atheist’s Tracy Moody, we have a first hand look at how that may not be the case.

Red flags started to go up when Ham posted a photo to his Twitter account this Friday, boasting of a sizable crowd on at the “opening” of the attraction while comparing it to a photo depicting a less impressive turnout for an atheist protest. The only problem is that the photo was actually taken two days before the grand opening when Ham allowed the media, local politicians, and even some public high school students to take a preview tour.

source

July 7, 2016 Opening day.

"It’s unclear how much money the Ark has earned since opening. But in its first six days, a spokeswoman told NBC News there have been about 30,000 visitors.

Ham hopes to attract close to 2 million guests in the attraction’s first year.

Two things about that.

First of all, let’s do a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation. If Ham expects 2 million people in the first year, and the Park is only closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, that means he’s expecting approximately 5,500 visitors a day. But 30,000 visitors in the first six days comes out to an average of 5,000 visitors a day.

That means there were fewer people visiting the Ark on the week that it opened — usually when you’d expect more people to visit — than he expects on a regular basis. If he couldn’t lure in paying customers on Week 1, how’s he going to entice more of them to visit on Week 52?

As usual with Creationists, the numbers just don’t make any sense.

Secondly, Ken Ham has been using that 2 million in attendance estimate for more than a year now.

But when state officials hired a third party to analyze projected attendance figures for Ark Encounter, in order to help them decide whether or not to give Ken Ham an $18 million gift courtesy of the taxpayers, they estimated that the Christian attraction would attract only 325,000 visitors in the first year, with the number eventually leveling off at about 275,000.

That’s a much more honest assessment of what will probably happen.

It seems like Ken Ham, much like Donald Trump, exaggerated the facts in order to get people to give him money. Because when you say millions of people will visit the Ark, instead of just a few hundred thousand, it’s more tempting for donors to give money to the project.

A $100 million attraction that brings in a mere 5,000 people a day, when there’s more publicity about the Ark than they’ll ever see again, doesn’t bode well for its future.
source

Last edited:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Just came upon the following video showing how poorly Ken Ham's Ark park is going over. It never really got off the ground. Can anyone say "bankruptcy"? :D

"Up until July 7, the day of young earth creationist Ken Ham’s $100 million “Ark Encounter” grand opening, the coming crowds were expected to be at biblical proportions. But thanks to the watchful eye of The Friendly Atheist’s Tracy Moody, we have a first hand look at how that may not be the case.

Red flags started to go up when Ham posted a photo to his Twitter account this Friday, boasting of a sizable crowd on at the “opening” of the attraction while comparing it to a photo depicting a less impressive turnout for an atheist protest. The only problem is that the photo was actually taken two days before the grand opening when Ham allowed the media, local politicians, and even some public high school students to take a preview tour.

source

July 7, 2016 Opening day.

I think half their business consists of atheists going there to mock it.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
At least some Christians will go to it, it wasn't a total failure on their part.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

"It’s unclear how much money the Ark has earned since opening. But in its first six days, a spokeswoman told NBC News there have been about 30,000 visitors.

Six days? Mmh. I think the rest of the expected millions are taking a rest.

Ciao

- viole

Riders

yea I saw it on tv they said theyre suppose to educate visitors about the story of Noah I wonder of any atheists got a sunday school bible lesson while they were there,

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think half their business consists of atheists going there to mock it.

There's a certain "shoot oneself in the foot" and "hoist on their own petard" in giving him the money. He may, unfortunately, have the last laugh if that happens. Though I myself would be hard-pressed to resist. :D

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
There's a certain "shoot oneself in the foot" and "hoist on their own petard" in giving him the money. He may, unfortunately, have the last laugh if that happens. Though I myself would be hard-pressed to resist. :D
Exactly. I wish skeptics would not go and pay admission to these kind of exhibitions. There are so many similar videos on the internet of "the atheist at the creationist museum" or "ark park" or whatever. And I do see that there is some value in this, but it has been done, and done to death. I just hope anyone thinking of doing it again really thinks carefully as to if it is really worth it.

If you want to do it call them up and see if they will give you a freebie. Tell them you are a non-believer and this is their chance to save your soul, but only if they pay for the chance. :cool: