• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arius was correct about Jesus

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Arius was correct about Jesus. Arius lived from c. AD 256–336. He was an Christian presbyter He believed Jesus Christ is the Son of God who was begotten by God the Father with the difference that the Son of God did not always exist but was begotten within time by God the Father, therefore Jesus was not co-eternal with God the Father.

Jesus is according to the Bible God's son, Jesus is not God. Only the Father is God. In my opinion.

Any thoughts? Do you disagree or agree? Why?

Last edited:

Lain

Arius was correct about Jesus. Jesus is according to the Bible God's son, Jesus is not God. Only the Father is God. In my opinion.

Any thoughts? Do you disagree? Why?

I disagree of course. Only the Father is God and the Lord Jesus is His Son, true enough. Yet Arius went further than this and said that the Son and the Father were not consubstantial. Such is false for the Lord is the Only-Begotten, and mutually indwells with the Father, as He Himself taught. Due to this I believe God rightly condemned him (as the icons depict) at the First Great Ecumenical Council, and continuously after that. I reject his diaeresis utterly. He is one of the many sons of Origen who have appeared through the ages. That's just my view on these matters though.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Arianism was very successful in early Middle Ages, especially among Germanic tribes such as Lombards, Vandals...etc...

It deals with a heresy that deserves respect.

But I fully disagree with it. Jesus is God. He has always existed. It is present everywhere in the New Testament, and particularly in John 1:1.

That said I love and respect all Christians. Several Churches who still exist nowadays can be defined "Arian".
It is a theological aspect.

Starlight

I disagree of course. Only the Father is God and the Lord Jesus is His Son, true enough. Yet Arius went further than this and said that the Son and the Father were not consubstantial. Such is false for the Lord is the Only-Begotten, and mutually indwells with the Father, as He Himself taught. Due to this I believe God rightly condemned him (as the icons depict) at the First Great Ecumenical Council, and continuously after that. I reject his diaeresis utterly. He is one of the many sons of Origen who have appeared through the ages. That's just my view on these matters though.
So you do admit only the Father is God? Since you wrote "Only the Father is God and the Lord Jesus is His Son, true enough"

Lain

So you do admit only the Father is God?

In my opinion the Lord Jesus' prayer settles the matter: "Father, the hour has come! Glorify your Son, in order that your Son may glorify you— just as you have given him authority over all flesh, in order that he would give eternal life to them—everyone whom you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have glorified you on earth by completing the work that you have given me to do. And now, Father, you glorify me at your side with the glory that I had at your side before the world existed."

The Father is the Only True God, or, only the Father is God. That is my opinion on the matter. I also confess with the Creed (the same one that in my view was a vehicle of victory against Arius) "I believe in One God, the Father..."

Yes.

Starlight

In my opinion the Lord Jesus' prayer settles the matter: "Father, the hour has come! Glorify your Son, in order that your Son may glorify you— just as you have given him authority over all flesh, in order that he would give eternal life to them—everyone whom you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have glorified you on earth by completing the work that you have given me to do. And now, Father, you glorify me at your side with the glory that I had at your side before the world existed."

The Father is the Only True God, or, only the Father is God. That is my opinion on the matter. I also confess with the Creed (the same one that in my view was a vehicle of victory against Arius) "I believe in One God, the Father..."

Yes.
What you believe in is not trinitarian

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Is that different from Christ mythicism? In that it is the new and novel position that Christians do or did not exist.
I have never heard of that. Who believes that Christians do not exist?

Mythicism is the position that Jesus likely did not exist.

Lain

I have never heard of that. Who believes that Christians do not exist?

Mythicism is the position that Jesus likely did not exist.

I'm sorry it was a terrible joke because you said "Christian mythicism" instead of "Christ mythicism." May this incident be quickly forgotten and die in the memories of all who have seen it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm sorry it was a terrible joke because you said "Christian mythicism" instead of "Christ mythicism." May this incident be quickly forgotten and die in the memories of all who have seen it.
Yes, my bad. Christ mythicism. The factual evidence for the existence of Jesus appears to be woefully lacking. With the crazy beliefs that I have seen arise in even our modern age, the idea that a belief in Jesus invented out of whole cloth no longer appears to be as "fringe" as it used to be.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Jesus is according to the Bible God's son, Jesus is not God. Only the Father is God. In my opinion.

Any thoughts? Do you disagree or agree? Why?
I agree, because that is what the Bible says, when interpreted properly. One has to really twist the meanings of verses to make Jesus into God.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I agree, because that is what the Bible says, when interpreted properly. One has to really twist the meanings of verses to make Jesus into God.
It depends somewhat on the Gospel one chooses. In Mark it looks as if Jesus is denying that he is God while in John he appears to be implying that he may be God. You will see that in debates. Those Christians that argue for the Trinity most often go to John over any other Gospel