• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arguments for or against god

We Never Know

No Slack
I won't be duped into arguments against a god or for a god. It's either a belief, lack of a belief, unknown or don't care.

Some argue on faith, some argue on lack of belief, some argue for the sake of arguing it seems.

Why do so many put themselves into arguments about a god when in reality a god existing can't be proven or disproven, the best answer is unknown.

Is there a satisfaction, a gradification, an agenda, a self point, an anything that I'm missing?

I've seen militant atheists, militant christians, militant who really cares, etc. and they all will beat their opinions around all day long. Is there anything that puts any of them above the others or seprates them besides opinion?

Just another fishing expedition seeking what others think.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I won't be duped into arguments against a god or for a god. It's either a belief, lack of a belief, unknown or don't care.

Some argue on faith, some argue on lack of belief, some argue for the sake of arguing it seems.

Why do so many put themselves into arguments about a god when in reality a god existing can't be proven or disproven, the best answer is unknown.

Is there a satisfaction, a gradification, an agenda, a self point, an anything that I'm missing?

I've seen militant atheists, militant christians, militant who really cares, etc. and they all will beat their opinions around all day long. Is there anything that puts any of them above the others or seprates them besides opinion?

Well , it takes a god in order to acknowledge a god.

So far God has been nothing more than a mental puppet. It only speaks when people speak, God does things only when people do things. When people talk, God talks. When people are quiet, God is quiet.

Cut the strings, the puppet goes away.

We Never Know

No Slack
Well , it takes a god in order to acknowledge a god.

So far God has been nothing more than a mental puppet. It only speaks when people speak, God does things only when people do things. When people talk, God talks. When people are quiet, God is quiet.

Cut the strings, the puppet goes away.

That's the faith part of it.

Curious George

Veteran Member

Is the best answer unknown?

In theory it is unknown if the world will stop spinning tomorrow, but is the best answer to--"will the world stop spinning tomorrow?" --unknown?

Nah.

Humans create reasons for natural phenomenon they don't understand. Humans create authority to give importance to their thoughts and laws. There is no good reason to believe some immortal, intelligent entity exists and has interfered or is interfering with our existence.

There is every reason to believe man who loves to make stories is just at work again with a character labeled a god.

We Never Know

No Slack
Is the best answer unknown?

In theory it is unknown if the world will stop spinning tomorrow, but is the best answer to--"will the world stop spinning tomorrow?" --unknown?

Nah.

Humans create reasons for natural phenomenon they don't understand. Humans create authority to give importance to their thoughts and laws. There is no good reason to believe some immortal, intelligent entity exists and has interfered or is interfering with our existence.

There is every reason to believe man who loves to make stories is just at work again with a character labeled a god.

I like your enthusiasm but not your analogy. We know the earth rotates, can test it, can see it, can calculate its speed, etc.

None of the above for a god.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I like your enthusiasm but not your analogy. We know the earth rotates, can test it, can see it, can calculate its speed, etc.

None of the above for a god.
We know where religions started. We can test this. We know that life evolves, we can test this. We know from where thunder and lightning come, we can test this. We know where illnesses come, we can test this. We also know that people have created stories in the past using gods to explain this.

We know that kings invoked immortal authority to retain their power, conmen played fools for their money, and that people really, really want to be special; And people love to come up with fanciful stories to explain the unknown and that which they fear.

We can see how religions are created, why they are created, and when they are created. Yet, you want to hang the answer to the question "is there a god" on the remote chance that one of these stories told or untold happen to be true, and, therefore, the best answer is unknown? Well, like i said, it is also unknown if the world will stop spinning tomorrow, but i do not think that is the best answer to the question "will the world stop spinning tomorrow?"

We Never Know

No Slack
We know where religions started. We can test this. We know that life evolves, we can test this. We know from where thunder and lightning come, we can test this. We know where illnesses come, we can test this. We also know that people have created stories in the past using gods to explain this.

We know that kings invoked immortal authority to retain their power, conmen played fools for their money, and that people really, really want to be special; And people love to come up with fanciful stories to explain the unknown and that which they fear.

We can see how religions are created, why they are created, and when they are created. Yet, you want to hang the answer to the question "is there a god" on the remote chance that one of these stories told or untold happen to be true, and, therefore, the best answer is unknown? Well, like i said, it is also unknown if the world will stop spinning tomorrow, but i do not think that is the best answer to the question "will the world stop spinning tomorrow?"

I agree with most all of this. None of it supports your analogy that you used.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I agree with most all of this. None of it supports your analogy that you used.
The analogy was used to show that something technically unknown doesn't mean unknown is the best answer.

The best answer is the most likely answer given the evidence. The evidence that no god exists is overwhelming. The evidence that the earth will spin tomorrow is also overwhelming. Neither has a conclusive proof. I would say it was a fitting analogy.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
As I've gotten older, the 'I don't care' has become a lot stronger. I don't really care what kind of reward or punishment a religion proscribes. I don't really care whether or not a religion regards itself as self-evident. And I'm enough of an anti-authoritarian that 'because I said so' is not nearly enough justification to obeying any sort of command. And 'works in mysterious ways' is not useful towards building reasoned, sound ethical behaviors. So when people ask if I'm for or against god(s), I reply that their existence wouldn't change how I live my life and so the question's value is moot to me.

We Never Know

No Slack
The analogy was used to show that something technically unknown doesn't mean unknown is the best answer.

The best answer is the most likely answer given the evidence. The evidence that no god exists is overwhelming. The evidence that the earth will spin tomorrow is also overwhelming. Neither has a conclusive proof. I would say it was a fitting analogy.

Do you mean the lack of evidence for a god is evidence that no god exists?
A god, if one exists is beyond our science and technology being it would be supernatural. We couldn't even study a god if one did exist.

We Never Know

No Slack
As I've gotten older, the 'I don't care' has become a lot stronger. I don't really care what kind of reward or punishment a religion proscribes. I don't really care whether or not a religion regards itself as self-evident. And I'm enough of an anti-authoritarian that 'because I said so' is not nearly enough justification to obeying any sort of command. And 'works in mysterious ways' is not useful towards building reasoned, sound ethical behaviors. So when people ask if I'm for or against god(s), I reply that their existence wouldn't change how I live my life and so the question's value is moot to me.

I gave you a "winner" based upon this " I reply that their existence wouldn't change how I live my life and so the question's value is moot to me.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Do you mean the lack of evidence for a god is evidence that no god exists?
A god, if one exists is beyond our science and technology being it would be supernatural. We couldn't even study a god if one did exist.
No i mean that man continually tries to create stories with a character that is a god is very well evidenced.

If I hold an opaque bag open and ask you to draw 1000 m&ms from it and each time you shuffle around and pull out a red m&m, i would say you have evidence that there are no green m&ms in the bag.

We Never Know

No Slack
No i mean that man continually tries to create stories with a character that is a god is very well evidenced.

If I hold an opaque bag open and ask you to draw 1000 m&ms from it and each time you shuffle around and pull out a red m&m, i would say you have evidence that there are no green m&ms in the bag.

I didn't ask you what man does and don't care for M&M's.

Let's try again.

Do you mean the lack of evidence for a god existing is evidence that no god exists?
A god, if one exists is beyond our science, technology and comprehension being it would be supernatural. We couldn't even study a god if one did exist.

SA Huguenot

From my part I again claim that I do not believe in God.
I know Him.
An invention from some primal need to have a defender against the unknown animal that wants to attack me out from bushes?
I never had such an urge, and I think anyone accusing me of believing in a God with those reasons, are iactually gnorant to what they are doing.
They created a strawman thinking this is what I believe in, then they burned the object thinking they proven me wrong!
It is hilarious!
To also tell me that God is an invention by man such as fairies and unichorns, is also just as absurd and such reasoniing makes me wonder about the Atheist, or non Theists intellect.
Do they realy think I will worship some figment of my immagination?
or some fearfull defender against the darkness?
John Lennox puts it so clear in his debate with Richard Dawkins when Dawkins told Lennox that God is an invention for people who is afraid of the dark.
Lennox answered, and denial of God is an invention by Atheists for fear of the Light!

An invention?
How dare the Atheist accuse me of such stupidity?
I studied the Bible, the Quran, babdiva, Ghita, Book of Mormon, JW's publications spanning about 30 years, the Quran, the Hadith (X4), Upanishad, and many more.
I read more than 100 books on Archaeology, and as many on history. I collected thee books, and much more on philosophy, and religion.
I have books on the Atheist publications on all the errors, contradictions, and atrocities in the Bible, and all the books published by the IPCI from Ahmad Deedad.
And much more.

Now why did I doo this?
Why all the reading and studies?
Because I was an Atheist who called myself out of cowardice and agnostic, who needed to find out what the Truth holds.
I went into the Bible to destroy it and the Christian, and came up as a looser.
I tested the Quran, the Book of Morman with the exact critisizm I had against the Bible, and they were the loosers this time.

Sorry to all Atheists and Muslims and who so ever wants to critisize the God of the Bible.
He is not something to believe in, one can not believe in your chils' existance...
No, the God of the Bible, Jesus Christ, is one you can personally meet.
I dont believe in God anymore, I know Him personally.

Oh, I forgot my glasses at home, I might be making terrible mistakes in my posts, but see it as some puzzle to get solved.:cool::oops:

Curious George

Veteran Member
I didn't ask you what man does and don't care for M&M's.

Let's try again.

Do you mean the lack of evidence for a god existing is evidence that no god exists?
A god, if one exists is beyond our science, technology and comprehension being it would be supernatural. We couldn't even study a god if one did exist.
Except here you are throwing more red m&ms at me. You are begging the question by assuming a god that is beyond our science and technology. That is a story. Cool story, but just a story.

Let's try again. Man makes up fantastical, whimsical and sometimes horrifying entities. We have evidence of this. We also have evidence that these were all made up by men. Now is that evidence that no god exists? Yes. Is it a complete deductive proof that no god exists? No. But hey, the next M&M might be green if you cross your fingers hard enough.

We Never Know

No Slack

Let's go this route...

Is there evidence that shows evolution happened? Is it studiable and testable? I'm going to assume you say yes.

Is there evidence the earth wasn't created 6000 years ago? Is it studiable and testable. Again I'm going to assume you say yes.

Is there evidence a great world flood didn't happen 5000 years ago. Is it studiable and testable? Again I'm goung to assume you say yes.

Is there evidence a god doesn't exist? Is it studiable and testable? You should say no but I'm going to assume you will make another silly analogy.

We Never Know

No Slack
I see we are dead without God. We may even think we are alive, but with no God, no life exists.

Regards Tony
From my part I again claim that I do not believe in God.
I know Him.
An invention from some primal need to have a defender against the unknown animal that wants to attack me out from bushes?
I never had such an urge, and I think anyone accusing me of believing in a God with those reasons, are iactually gnorant to what they are doing.
They created a strawman thinking this is what I believe in, then they burned the object thinking they proven me wrong!
It is hilarious!
To also tell me that God is an invention by man such as fairies and unichorns, is also just as absurd and such reasoniing makes me wonder about the Atheist, or non Theists intellect.
Do they realy think I will worship some figment of my immagination?
or some fearfull defender against the darkness?
John Lennox puts it so clear in his debate with Richard Dawkins when Dawkins told Lennox that God is an invention for people who is afraid of the dark.
Lennox answered, and denial of God is an invention by Atheists for fear of the Light!

An invention?
How dare the Atheist accuse me of such stupidity?
I studied the Bible, the Quran, babdiva, Ghita, Book of Mormon, JW's publications spanning about 30 years, the Quran, the Hadith (X4), Upanishad, and many more.
I read more than 100 books on Archaeology, and as many on history. I collected thee books, and much more on philosophy, and religion.
I have books on the Atheist publications on all the errors, contradictions, and atrocities in the Bible, and all the books published by the IPCI from Ahmad Deedad.
And much more.

Now why did I doo this?
Why all the reading and studies?
Because I was an Atheist who called myself out of cowardice and agnostic, who needed to find out what the Truth holds.
I went into the Bible to destroy it and the Christian, and came up as a looser.
I tested the Quran, the Book of Morman with the exact critisizm I had against the Bible, and they were the loosers this time.

Sorry to all Atheists and Muslims and who so ever wants to critisize the God of the Bible.
He is not something to believe in, one can not believe in your chils' existance...
No, the God of the Bible, Jesus Christ, is one you can personally meet.
I dont believe in God anymore, I know Him personally.

Oh, I forgot my glasses at home, I might be making terrible mistakes in my posts, but see it as some puzzle to get solved.:cool::oops:

Yes there are many opinions. Believe or lack of belief is a choice. Choose what bests fits you.