• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arguments for Atheism

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is a definition.

The etymology would show there are multiple definitions, and that the 'lack of belief' definition is relatively recent and is not the only one in modern common usage.
It is not all that recent. It has been defined that way by atheists for quite some time. But once again until recently it was non-atheists that were defining the term. As the number of atheists have grown so has their voice and they have had an effect on the dictionary definitions.

It is a definition.

The etymology would show there are multiple definitions, and that the 'lack of belief' definition is relatively recent and is not the only one in modern common usage.
The etymology does show the definition, the term is atheism (A prefix meaning no or without and theos meaning god) not apistism (A meaning no or without and pistis meaning faith or belief)

It is not all that recent. It has been defined that way by atheists for quite some time. But once again until recently it was non-atheists that were defining the term. As the number of atheists have grown so has their voice and they have had an effect on the dictionary definitions.

I'm an atheist who prefers the 'traditional' definition, as do many others. Either way it is just a subjective preference and nobody can be deemed to be 'wrong' for using their preferred definition.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm an atheist who prefers the 'traditional' definition, as do many others. Either way it is just a subjective preference and nobody can be deemed to be 'wrong' for using their preferred definition.
In case I missed it, what do you mean by 'traditional definition'?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I have.
All explained by natural processes.

Not so.......
The Big Bang was as much a natural process as everything and action which followed afterwards, surely?
Now, all you have to decide is whether or not this 'big bang' was caused by or occurred because of some 'thing'...?

well, was it? Yes or No?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Being an atheist is either merely believing in gods or not believing in gods. Your argument is rather poor. This is why it is a good idea to understand the meaning of words.

Do you? ...... understand the meaning of 'atheist'?
I don't think that you do.......
The Romans used the word for Christians, back in the day, because Christians did not believe in Roman Gods.
Now, how do Christians fit in with your idea about the word 'atheist'?

I am a Deist, believing in the existence of a Deity, but I am an atheist because I don't believe in a Deity who is aware of, interested in or separate from us humans.
How does that fit in with your idea about the word 'atheist'?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Some can be, but I am not. I am strictly agnostic as that I hold that both the positions of theist and atheist are full of it. Both positions assume they know too much.
But the atheist "position" doesn't assume anything.

Atheism is the view that there is no gods.
How do you think this work, exactly? How does a person reject - not just not accept, but reject - all gods? I'm especially interested to hear how someone does this for gods they've never even heard of.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Not so.......
The Big Bang was as much a natural process as everything and action which followed afterwards, surely?
Now, all you have to decide is whether or not this 'big bang' was caused by or occurred because of some 'thing'...?

well, was it? Yes or No?
We do not know. I believe it was natural, but I don't know.
Why would it make any sense that it was caused by a 'thing'?
The problem with w 'thing' is...what caused the 'thing'?

The etymology does show the definition, the term is atheism (A prefix meaning no or without and theos meaning god) not apistism (A meaning no or without and pistis meaning faith or belief)

The etymology shows how word usage has changed over time, and thus shows multiple definitions. For most of its history it has referred to a stance that someone has taken rather than a state, but the word has had many meanings throughout its history.

We can't say the 'true' definition is fixed by the morphology either as in English morphemes often don't combine in a rational manner and are thus not completely prescriptive. For example, it can't differentiate between a-theism (absence of theism), or athe-ism (a belief in godlessness).

There are logical reasons to prefer one definition over another, but ultimately there is no authority to define 'correct' usage in a way that makes other definition 'wrong'.

No, it doesn't. It's an acknowledgment that the person is convinced of any gods.

Congratulations: you're a hard agnostic and an atheist.

How do you know it's unknowable?
No I am not, I am an agnostic. It's unknowable because no one can accurately define what it is. It is a fuzzy concept that keeps moving around.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No I am not, I am an agnostic.
Atheism and theism form a MECE set: every person belongs to exactly one of the categories.
It's unknowable because no one can accurately define what it is. It is a fuzzy concept that keeps moving around.
Nobody can define what "god" means?

Fair enough, but all the more reason to consider you an atheist: we can't believe that which we can't conceive. Anyone who considers "god" so vague that we can't even evaluate the statement "a god exists" is necessarily an atheist.