• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arguments for Atheism

So if someone who believes in gods identifies as an atheist, then they really are an atheist?
Ask Frank Schaeffer that. He identifies as an atheist who believes in god.

You are the type of person that wants to impose things on people and therefore take away there choice in the matter. There are plenty of people who lack belief in gods who do not identify as an atheist. I am one of them. But against our will you wish to impose that label or identity on all of us. You do not get to do that. If you want to identify as an atheist then you are free to do so, but you do not get label other people thus against their will which you are doing. Atheism is an opinion, it is a point of views at least and at most a theory. It is not a practice nor a doctrine nor a state of being. And that is exactly what you are try to make it...a state of being, and in making it the default position of everyone you render the concept useless.

Now I am going to ask a question would impose a gender upon a person who is either gender-neutral or has not decided which gender they are?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Who is Frank Schaeffer?

You are the type of person that wants to impose things on people and therefore take away there choice in the matter. There are plenty of people who lack belief in gods who do not identify as an atheist.
Whether a person acknowledges their characteristics doesn't change those characteristics.

I am one of them. But against our will you wish to impose that label or identity on all of us. You do not get to do that.
Why don't you identify as an atheist?

If you want to identify as an atheist then you are free to do so, but you do not get label other people thus against their will which you are doing. Atheism is an opinion, it is a point of views at least and at most a theory. It is not a practice nor a doctrine nor a state of being. And that is exactly what you are try to make it...a state of being, and in making it the default position of everyone you render the concept useless.
It's only useful when held in contrast to theism, but theism is prevalent enough that simply not being one of them is meaningful and useful information.

It's like other words we commonly use. Take "civilian:" it just means "a person who isn't in the military." Can you tell why someone isn't in the military just from the fact they're a civilian? No... but we still find the distinction useful.

Now I am going to ask a question would impose a gender upon a person who is either gender-neutral or has not decided which gender they are?
Of course not. Gender identity really is a matter of identity.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

You are the type of person that wants to impose things on people and therefore take away there choice in the matter. There are plenty of people who lack belief in gods who do not identify as an atheist. I am one of them. But against our will you wish to impose that label or identity on all of us. You do not get to do that. If you want to identify as an atheist then you are free to do so, but you do not get label other people thus against their will which you are doing. Atheism is an opinion, it is a point of views at least and at most a theory. It is not a practice nor a doctrine nor a state of being. And that is exactly what you are try to make it...a state of being, and in making it the default position of everyone you render the concept useless.

Excuse me, but I will label you or anyone else as an atheist if I find the hat to be fitting, whether you like it or not.

It is not just atheism though. I will also label you a human being even if you tell me you identify as a frog.

Excuse me, but I will label you or anyone else as an atheist if I find the hat to be fitting, whether you like it or not.

It is not just atheism though. I will also label you a human being even if you tell me you identify as a frog.
Atheism is not a state being like being a frog. It is a point of view, an opinion, a position. You do not get to impose a point of view or opinion on a person if they do not hold that point of view. You don't get to call a person a communist just because you think that person is a communist by your redefinition of communism , you can only call that person a communist if that person identifies as a communist if that person openly states that they are communist or they openly practice and preach communism.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Atheism is not a state being like being a frog. It is a point of view, an opinion, a position. You do not get to impose a point of view or opinion on a person if they do not hold that point of view. You don't get to call a person a communist just because you think that person is a communist by your redefinition of communism , you can only call that person a communist if that person identifies as a communist if that person openly states that they are communist or they openly practice and preach communism.

What if a person is in favor of state ownership of all means of production but calls himself a libertarian ? Should I call him a libertarian because he labels himself that way or should I label him a communist because he fits the description?

I would do that latter. It is the same way with atheism.

Who is Frank Schaeffer?

Frank Schaeffer, Former Evangelical Leader, Is A Self-Declared Atheist Who Believes In God | HuffPost

Whether a person acknowledges their characteristics doesn't change those characteristics.
What kind characteristic is atheism? Behavioral?

Why don't you identify as an atheist?

Because I am an agnostic.

It's only useful when held in contrast to theism, but theism is prevalent enough that simply not being one of them is meaningful and useful information.

It's like other words we commonly use. Take "civilian:" it just means "a person who isn't in the military." Can you tell why someone isn't in the military just from the fact they're a civilian? No... but we still find the distinction useful.

Is it important to make a distinction between those who believe Vin Diesel is a good actor and those who don't?

Of course not. Gender identity really is a matter of identity.

So is a persons opinions or beliefs. Atheism isn't an act, it isn't a practice or behavior, it isn't a state, it isn't a doctrine or religion it is at least point of view or opinion that people hold or at most a theory about certain metaphysical concepts. You don't get to impose your opinion as to what I believe or don't believe upon me. This isn't 1984 and you are not Big Brother.

What if a person is in favor of state ownership of all means of production but calls himself a libertarian ? Should I call him a libertarian because he labels himself that way or should I label him a communist because he fits the description?

I would do that latter. It is the same way with atheism.
Try reading this again:
you can only call that person a communist if that person identifies as a communist if that person openly states that they are communist or they openly practice and preach communism.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Try reading this again:

But who's to say someone else is preaching communism ? The person itself ? If not, then how people identify themselves is irrelevant as to how we label them as long as they fit the description.

So if you tell me you don't believe in any gods I will label you an atheist because that fits the description.

You only have to Google around to see how the term atheism is being used.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
From what I can glean from the article, it sounds like his book title is more about sensationalism and novelty than accuracy.

What kind characteristic is atheism? Behavioral?
It's an absence of beliefs in gods. The term just describes someone who isn't a theist.

Because I am an agnostic.
Atheism and agnosticism aren't mutually exclusive. People can be both.

Is it important to make a distinction between those who believe Vin Diesel is a good actor and those who don't?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

So is a persons opinions or beliefs. Atheism isn't an act, it isn't a practice or behavior, it isn't a state, it isn't a doctrine or religion it is at least point of view or opinion that people hold or at most a theory about certain metaphysical concepts. You don't get to impose your opinion as to what I believe or don't believe upon me. This isn't 1984 and you are not Big Brother.
Please tell us what you think this "point of view or opinion" is that you think atheists hold.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You don't get to call a person a communist just because you think that person is a communist by your redefinition of communism , you can only call that person a communist if that person identifies as a communist if that person openly states that they are communist or they openly practice and preach communism.
Actually, you do get to do this.

Communism is an economic and political system. Anyone who adheres to it - including people who don't say that they're communists - is a communist.

Atheism and agnosticism aren't mutually exclusive. People can be both.

Some can be, but I am not. I am strictly agnostic as that I hold that both the positions of theist and atheist are full of it. Both positions assume they know too much.

Please tell us what you think this "point of view or opinion" is that you think atheists hold.
Atheism is the view that there is no gods.