• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arguments for and against fish cognition

Kharisym

So I'm vegetarian out of concern for killing 'intelligent' animals where intelligence is defined as having an awareness and understanding of their sensory experience. This has also been termed 'having an inner world', 'an understanding of what its like to be itself', and for some definitions of sentience. Think of it in terms of a computer--a computer receives input and processes it, but the computer doesn't have an inner understanding of what it is its processing. If AI existed, that AI would understand what its processing. This is the difference I'm considering: Are fish more like that computer, or that AI?

I'd love to be pescatarian, so its important to me to establish if fish are sufficiently intelligent to fall into my protected group of animals.

Arguments I remember looking into:

1) Fish feel pain. This is technically called nociception, and even though they have the peripheral nervous system to let them experience pain, this does not mean they feel pain.

2) Fish lack the cortical structures for consciousness. While it is true that fish lack a neocortex, we know from bird studies that a neocortex is not necessary for consciousness. We also don't know what the minimal neural criteria for consciousness is. The bird pallium (structure the neocortex is evolutionarily derived from) is more complex than the fish pallium, and we know that the bird pallium contains complexity reminiscent to the mammalian neocortex in that it contains long axial structures and regionalization equivalent to mammalian neocortical columns. Fish do not (to my knowledge) exhibit regionalization or long axial interconnectedness. The fish pallium is primarily composed of a bilobial occipital structure (Or structures for more specialized senses)--the fact that sensory-dedicated structures primarily compose the fish pallium is less damning that you might think, its reasonable to consider that the occipital structures in goldfish could be a source of consciousness for them, a proposition that has tenuous evidence based on the degree of visual field mapping from the eyes to the lobes in goldfish.

3) Fish exhibit reactive behavior and a capacity for learning and memory. Experiments with unconscious human subjects, de-cerebrated mammals, as well as creatures that lack a nervous system at all (ie, plants) have shown that reactionary behavior, learning, and memory are not indicators of consciousness.

4) Fish have passed the mirror test for self-awareness. This is probably the most compelling argument since in land mammals seeing their reflection in a natural setting is unusual, and therefore recognizing that a reflection in a mirror is themselves shows a capacity for thinking beyond basal reactiveness. That said, fish exist in a unique environment where the surface of the water can act as a mirrored surface, and therefore the mirror test can reasonably exist without self awareness as a means of removing parasitism or agitants.

5) Fish have shown emotional thermal regulation. I may not be describing this quite correct, but its essentially the capacity for emotional beings (mammals) to exhibit thermal variation beyond baseline in reaction to emotional stressors. It can be an indicator of a capacity for emotion. The experiment for this was not convincing to me and, in my opinion, contains too many conflationary variables to make the purported claim.

6) A capacity for social learning. Its been shown in archerfish that they can learn by observing conspecifics. A solitary animal doing this is definitive proof of cognition because there probably isn't sufficient evolutionary pressure for this behavior to evolve without awareness, but archerfish are social creatures so there could be reasonable evolutionary pressure for this behavior to evolve itself as opposed to being a byproduct of cognition.

There's probably more I've looked into, but I've been reading research articles on this topic for a year now. (and still haven't come to a conclusion). Fish are complicated.

So how about y'all? What are your arguments for and against awareness and understanding?

Kharisym

Can I ask why? (given you are already a vegetarian)

Fish are yummy, open up additional flavors I'm used to, and gives me a world of new restaurants to eat at. Vegetarianism isn't really considered in restaurants around here, and when I cook the things I make are not appetizing to those around me. They don't consider animals to be deserving of personhood protections like I do.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am not in to the technical side of fish but i do know they have a reasonable memory and can recognise and distinguish one human from another. My grandfather used to keep goldfish and this is gleened from the experience of my interaction with them.

That said I've just prepared some rouget (red mullet) for dinner.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I am not in to the technical side of fish but i do know they have a reasonable memory and can recognise and distinguish one human from another. My grandfather used to keep goldfish and this is gleened from the experience of my interaction with them.

When we had a tank of marine fish, the lion fish used to come to a particular position in the tank at feeding time when I approached.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Vegetarianism isn't really considered in restaurants around here,

It was the same here when we arrived only 7 years ago. My eldest daughter is vegetarian, we told them at the the local Michelin restaurant, they served her a bowl of french beans topped with foie gras.

Never been back since.

Other places were more understanding, "oh dear, never mind, she'll get over it," patting her on the head, " I'll talk to the chef and see what he can do".

Or. "Will she eat sausage or chicken, they are hardly meat at all"

She usually ended up with fish or mushroom risotto.

Over the years more and more places are catering vegetarian though.

In fact Perigueux has opened a couple of vegetarian only restaurants recently. If it can happen in the Perigord there is hope it can happen near you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So I'm vegetarian out of concern for killing 'intelligent' animals where intelligence is defined as having an awareness and understanding of their sensory experience. This has also been termed 'having an inner world', 'an understanding of what its like to be itself', and for some definitions of sentience. Think of it in terms of a computer--a computer receives input and processes it, but the computer doesn't have an inner understanding of what it is its processing. If AI existed, that AI would understand what its processing. This is the difference I'm considering: Are fish more like that computer, or that AI?

I'd love to be pescatarian, so its important to me to establish if fish are sufficiently intelligent to fall into my protected group of animals.

Arguments I remember looking into:

1) Fish feel pain. This is technically called nociception, and even though they have the peripheral nervous system to let them experience pain, this does not mean they feel pain.

2) Fish lack the cortical structures for consciousness. While it is true that fish lack a neocortex, we know from bird studies that a neocortex is not necessary for consciousness. We also don't know what the minimal neural criteria for consciousness is. The bird pallium (structure the neocortex is evolutionarily derived from) is more complex than the fish pallium, and we know that the bird pallium contains complexity reminiscent to the mammalian neocortex in that it contains long axial structures and regionalization equivalent to mammalian neocortical columns. Fish do not (to my knowledge) exhibit regionalization or long axial interconnectedness. The fish pallium is primarily composed of a bilobial occipital structure (Or structures for more specialized senses)--the fact that sensory-dedicated structures primarily compose the fish pallium is less damning that you might think, its reasonable to consider that the occipital structures in goldfish could be a source of consciousness for them, a proposition that has tenuous evidence based on the degree of visual field mapping from the eyes to the lobes in goldfish.

3) Fish exhibit reactive behavior and a capacity for learning and memory. Experiments with unconscious human subjects, de-cerebrated mammals, as well as creatures that lack a nervous system at all (ie, plants) have shown that reactionary behavior, learning, and memory are not indicators of consciousness.

4) Fish have passed the mirror test for self-awareness. This is probably the most compelling argument since in land mammals seeing their reflection in a natural setting is unusual, and therefore recognizing that a reflection in a mirror is themselves shows a capacity for thinking beyond basal reactiveness. That said, fish exist in a unique environment where the surface of the water can act as a mirrored surface, and therefore the mirror test can reasonably exist without self awareness as a means of removing parasitism or agitants.

5) Fish have shown emotional thermal regulation. I may not be describing this quite correct, but its essentially the capacity for emotional beings (mammals) to exhibit thermal variation beyond baseline in reaction to emotional stressors. It can be an indicator of a capacity for emotion. The experiment for this was not convincing to me and, in my opinion, contains too many conflationary variables to make the purported claim.

6) A capacity for social learning. Its been shown in archerfish that they can learn by observing conspecifics. A solitary animal doing this is definitive proof of cognition because there probably isn't sufficient evolutionary pressure for this behavior to evolve without awareness, but archerfish are social creatures so there could be reasonable evolutionary pressure for this behavior to evolve itself as opposed to being a byproduct of cognition.

There's probably more I've looked into, but I've been reading research articles on this topic for a year now. (and still haven't come to a conclusion). Fish are complicated.

So how about y'all? What are your arguments for and against awareness and understanding?
That Moray eel understands that fish are yummy.

ChristineM

Premium Member
When we had a tank of marine fish, the lion fish used to come to a particular position in the tank at feeding time when I approached.

Doesn't surprise me.
They can tell the time too. Grandad always fed them at quarter to six, first job when he got home from work. I'd sometimes go to his house and sit quietly waiting for him. From a few minutes before he got home they started gathering under the feeding ring.

They did the same Saturday and Sunday when he was at home so it wasn't the sound of him approaching the house.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Doesn't surprise me.
They can tell the time too. Grandad always fed them at quarter to six, first job when he got home from work. I'd sometimes go to his house and sit quietly waiting for him. From a few minutes before he got home they started gathering under the feeding ring.

They did the same Saturday and Sunday when he was at home so it wasn't the sound of him approaching the house.
We call Moonbear a furry Rolex. :D

ChristineM

Premium Member
As you may expect, I would have gone ******* berserk. But my partner would have overreacted.

...so not vegetarian then :rolleyes:

We just left and never went back, its probability cost them a few thousand euros in loss of our business.

She doesn't eat meat or meat products, but is ok with fish.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I had a dwarf gourami that would eat from my hand(and only my hand).

My knife fish recognized me(as opposed to my sons or husband), and would come to the glass when I standing there(I who bring food). Once I started having the 8 year old help with the fish, he would come up for him, too.

We have trouble with cichlids; if they pair up and one dies, the living partner(no matter how vibrant they were) will often pine away and die within a month or two.

Fish form preferences for other fish, not always of the same species. They make friends. :)

They definitely have personalities.

I will say the larger the fish, the more aware(less instinctual) they seem to be, but this is not always the case. Fish that don't school also seem to be more aware.
As you may expect, I would have gone ******* berserk. But my partner would have overreacted.

After talking with an Applebee's staff(a crappy US chain restaurant) about vegetarianism, and having her help me find something appropriate, I got my dish and started eating... noticed a funny texture. Ate a few more bites. Noticed a piece of bacon. I dug around and saw the whole thing was full of bacon.

Someone threw a breadstick, they were so angry.

ChristineM

Premium Member

My knife fish recognized me(as opposed to my sons or husband), and would come to the glass when I standing there(I who bring food). Once I started having the 8 year old help with the fish, he would come up for him, too.

We have trouble with cichlids; if they pair up and one dies, the living partner(no matter how vibrant they were) will often pine away and die within a month or two.

Fish form preferences for other fish, not always of the same species. They make friends. :)

I will say the larger the fish, the more aware(less instinctual) they seem to be, but this is not always the case. Fish that don't school also seem to be more aware.

After talking with an Applebee's staff(a crappy US chain restaurant) about vegetarianism, and having her help me find something appropriate, I got my dish and started eating... noticed a funny texture. Ate a few more bites. Noticed a piece of bacon. I dug around and saw the whole thing was full of bacon.

You thew a breadstick???

download.jpg

Kharisym

Doesn't surprise me.

Learned stimuli have been observed in decerebrate or spinally separated animals, and in one article (that hasn't been replicated yet) plants have been shown to be averse or attracted to a breeze based on prior experience with that breeze being a precursor to light or lack of light.

In terms of fish committing suicide when a preferred partner dies, that is much more difficult to disprove. What does everyone else think of this one? If you could, how would you disprove it?