• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Argument I Discovered

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I can't for the life of me remember who first made this, and I've refined it a bit further. Not sure if I agree yet.

1. All substance is made of Matter and Form.

2. Form is essential because it gives a substance its essence and identity.

3. A human being, as a substance, is made of Matter and Form.

4. A human is an individual substance of a rational nature, the rationality being an essential characteristic.

5. The exercise of rationality is an immaterial operation.

6. So, human nature is essentially immaterial.

7. Immaterial things do not rely on Matter.

8. So, through use of their rational nature an individual is capable of existing independent of their body.

9. Therefore, human individuals can exist immaterially, even if they once relied on Matter.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
1. All substances is made of physical Matter and abstract Form.

2. Form is essential because it gives a substance its essence and identity. Two triangles can be identified by their triangleness, two conscious species can be identified by their consciousness, etc.

3. A human being, as a substance, is made of Matter and Form.

4. A human is an individual substance, characterized by ones isolate intelligence - the unique, self aware, individual agent.

5. The exercise of one's isolate intelligence is an immaterial process, and the essence of the individual and their internal existence is not reducible to matter.

6. So, human nature is nature is partly immaterial.

7. Immaterial things do not rely on Matter.

8. So, through use of their isolate intelligence, an individual is capable of existing independent of their body to varying extents.

9. Therefore, human individuals can exist theoretically immaterially, even if they once relied on Matter, by strengthening and growing their isolate intelligence.