• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aren't beards uncomfortable to wear?

Ponder This

My face will get badly scratchy even with a 5 o'clock shadow.

My guess is this beard-wearing craze has mostly to do with rebellion against the baby-boom/gen-X generations of parents and grandparents. It's a millennials thing. I first noticed this beard thing around 1995 when young fellows started to sport little goatees. I thought that looked crappy even then. Now, it's largely a long biker-beard thing. Male faces are commonly looking like a string mop head.

Clean-shaven was the norm for the baby-boom and gen X in their youth save for a mustache and long sideburns here and there.

I favor laws that says beards must be at least covered up in food-handling employment. I don't want beard hair in my food as a restaurant patron.

Looking at CNN on TV today, virtually all men in elected positions from federal to state are clean-shaven still.

Here in Lawton, OK, virtually all male (most of them here) cops are clean-shaven.

Hair becomes scratchy when it is cut or when it is dry. Your 5 o'clock shadow is scratchy primarily because you shaved. Hard truth.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

My guess is this beard-wearing craze has mostly to do with rebellion against the baby-boom/gen-X generations of parents and grandparents. It's a millennials thing. I first noticed this beard thing around 1995 when young fellows started to sport little goatees. I thought that looked crappy even then. Now, it's largely a long biker-beard thing. Male faces are commonly looking like a string mop head.

Clean-shaven was the norm for the baby-boom and gen X in their youth save for a mustache and long sideburns here and there.

I favor laws that says beards must be at least covered up in food-handling employment. I don't want beard hair in my food as a restaurant patron.

Looking at CNN on TV today, virtually all men in elected positions from federal to state are clean-shaven still.

Here in Lawton, OK, virtually all male (most of them here) cops are clean-shaven.
My goatee is very soft. My wife likes it. It's only scruffy at the start.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

I have worn a beard all of my adult life

and if I shave it off...….my wife will make me VERY uncomfortable

ManSinha

Some "not-so-clean-shaven" politicians

upload_2020-1-18_9-48-54.png

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Let it grow out a bit.

I grew a beard in 1977. I came home for family Christmas, didn't shave the last couple of days, then didn't come home until March. It took my family about 2 days to get over it. I've had it ever since.

Closest I ever came to shaving it off was in the 80s. Do not trim while inebriated. Luckily, the "Don Johnson 5 day stubble" thing was in vogue. Everybody thought I meant to do that.

I trim the beard with electric clippers, and shave a bit. I shave to tidy up the lines on my cheeks, and shave under my jawline(so the beard curls under instead of being wild and free).

I did let my hair and beard go wild and free for over a year once. There are pics on RF. But that much hair is too much trouble to care for, so I stopped.
So is a clean shaven face. I prefer a low maintenance look.
Tom

Shad

Veteran Member

You get use to it. Just keep it clean.

It is winter up here. A beard is cheaper than a scarf.

Galateasdream

There's an itchy phase, but it passes.

And when long your beard can get caught under your armpit or trapped elsewhere and that can be annoying. And small children might pull it, which isn't so fun.