• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are your biblical or other religous passages 'multi-dimensional'

amorphous_constellation

Seems like that's the huge sticking point, especially with the bible.

People want to say that you can only read one narrow thing out of many passages, where you might read live 5 things. To me it's actually a huge turn off.

The nature of wisdom, if the biblical text claims to be wise, is to actually condense broad truth into discrete passages. If the bible isn't actually doing that, that would explain why the readers splintered into so many factions.

Maybe that's why I like books like the Tao Te Ching a little better, since the wisdom seems more broadly applicable, as you can read more out of things.

Besides the biblical standpoint, does your religion have passages that are wide ranging in interpretation, and is it considered valid to see them that way?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Simply yes, and in the Baha'i Faith there is a lot of scripture that may be interpreted in a multi-dimensional way, but that cannot be used to try and make scripture suit ones own understanding and needs. Revelation in the Baha'i perspective is an evolving dynamic spiritual and physical process that flows with time as our universe does, and not a rigid fixed one religion in literal terms.

The 'Source' some call God(s) or by other names is not in a human image.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Besides the biblical standpoint, does your religion have passages that are wide ranging in interpretation, and is it considered valid to see them that way?
Fair enough, the religiously minded, with a clerical intelligence often will limit the potential of understanding to the simplest linear format...

Whereas if we read the Bible like Yin and Yang, it teaches us darkness (Yang) enough to want to see the Yin in everything.

Like read the Proverbs as dark contrast to the opposite of wisdom, and there are many wise points within them, warning not to be naive.

Lao Tzu says 'simply just be' wise (Dao), and the Bible says wisdom is found by knowing Light Vs Darkness.

Buddha says look at the contrasts on both sides, and recognizing the middle line is discernment.

Krishna said by seeing that we're already in the darkness, and seeking the all reflective light, we become the balance through practise.

Each can be seen in a context of one articulation of logic; yet as a whole in contrasts, they illuminate the middle line (Dharma) leading to the Oneness of Heaven.

Out of all the religious texts, if we had to rate them on a wisdom scale, much of the Bible isn't by human wisdom; it is so advanced 15 years later I've only just scraped the surface on some of the wisdoms contained...

Many will not understand my last sentiments, as they look for wisdoms for themselves in their line of study, rather than realizing we're in a realm of equal, and opposite reactions - where people don't listen; thus many then go opposite...so placing goodness to be collected, expecting good returns is vanity, not wisdom.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Thank you for your question, there is an aspect of wisdom between them, that is making me have to think so deeply to fathom it.

Last edited:

People want to say that you can only read one narrow thing out of many passages, where you might read live 5 things. To me it's actually a huge turn off....

To me the multi-dimensional tells that the message is not from narrow minded human.

Yokefellow

Wisdom and Prophecy are two completely different things.

One is meant to be straightforward, one is not... on purpose and for good reason.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

As you suggest, being "wide ranging in interpretation" is not the same as being wide ranging in intent, and claiming such an intent strikes me as being, more often that not, a disingenuous justification of eisegesis. Indeed, a certain subset of Christians find it to be particularly useful in appropriating the Tanakh for their narrative.

amorphous_constellation

As you suggest, being "wide ranging in interpretation" is not the same as being wide ranging in intent

Not totally sure what you mean actually. I don't know, I think wisdom loses its vibrancy if it devolves into belief games, though all wisdom wants you to sort of believe in something. I like all the old texts when they seem to master that paradox, where they can