• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are your beliefs healthy?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Greetings all!

I have been REALLY struggling with the question of what to post that is compassionate and doesn't sound like a "sermon". Judge for yourself how well I managed it.

The following may hurt some people's feelings but I prefer to think of it as 'tough love'.

A LOT of the threads at the forum involve two or more people debating whose beliefs are "right" and whose are "wrong". This sometimes degenerates into sarcasm and veiled insults.

This is not healthy behaviour.

I look at things rather differently - I DO have schizophrenia after all :)

I prefer to ask the question of whether the beliefs you cherish are psychologically healthy. If so, then there is NO need to change. If not, then there is EVERY reason to re-evaluate them - painful though that may be!

So what exactly is an unhealthy belief? It is not psychologically healthy to believe that your way is the "best way" or the "only way" to approach life's biggest questions and deepest mysteries.

And, yes! I DO realise there may be a certain unavoidable "irony" in what I am saying :)

Obviously, if your beliefs lead you to consider yourself "superior" to your fellow human beings, that is also not a healthy situation.

To my way of thinking, a good belief system is one that helps you become a kinder & more compassionate human being.

A healthy belief system would also include a sense of humour. the true test of a good religion is whether you can make a joke about it. A wise man once said that God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh. :)

I could go on ad infinitum listing unhealthy beliefs but you probly are sick of me already :)

As my dear old Mum would say, I wish you all a happy & healthy & sane life.

All the best!

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Greetings all!

I have been REALLY struggling with the question of what to post that is compassionate and doesn't sound like a "sermon". Judge for yourself how well I managed it.

The following may hurt some people's feelings but I prefer to think of it as 'tough love'.

A LOT of the threads at the forum involve two or more people debating whose beliefs are "right" and whose are "wrong". This sometimes degenerates into sarcasm and veiled insults.

I prefer to ask the question of whether the beliefs you cherish are psychologically healthy. If so, then there is NO need to change. If not, then there is EVERY reason to re-evaluate them - painful though that may be!

So what exactly is an unhealthy belief? It is not psychologically healthy to believe that your way is the "best way" or the "only way" to approach life's biggest questions and deepest mysteries.

And, yes! I DO realise there may be a certain unavoidable "irony" in what I am saying :)

Obviously, if your beliefs lead you to consider yourself "superior" to your fellow human beings, that is also not a healthy situation.

To my way of thinking, a good belief system is one that helps you become a kinder & more compassionate human being.

A healthy belief system would also include a sense of humour. the true test of a good religion is whether you can make a joke about it. A wise man once said that God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh. :)

I could go on ad infinitum listing unhealthy beliefs but you probly are sick of me already :)

All the best!

If all the insults you receive are veiled, you are doing better than me! :)

I agree with much of that, I think some of it can be summed up with simply acknowledging our beliefs, faith as such. That way we do not claim inherent intellectual superiority over others' beliefs- that's where the problems always start.

I was raised atheist and remained so for decades, and was every bit as negative, sarcastic, patronizing as many here- if one thing began to turn me around, it was my opponents who refused to do likewise, showed me infinite patience and respect, and at least tried to answer all my questions with substance.

These people never knew the positive influence they eventually had on me, so I try to do likewise. I don't always succeed, but we may be making more difference than it seems sometimes.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
If all the insults you receive are veiled, you are doing better than me! :)

I agree with much of that, I think some of it can be summed up with simply acknowledging our beliefs, faith as such. That way we do not claim inherent intellectual superiority over others' beliefs- that's where the problems always start.

I was raised atheist and remained so for decades, and was every bit as negative, sarcastic, patronizing as many here- if one thing began to turn me around, it was my opponents who refused to do likewise, showed me infinite patience and respect, and at least tried to answer all my questions with substance.

These people never knew the positive influence they eventually had on me, so I try to do likewise. I don't always succeed, but we may be making more difference than it seems sometimes.

Thanks for the input!

Insults really don't "bother" me anymore - and that is something I never thought I would say. I try to remind myself that a person who would need to resort to insults aint terribly happy and content so I can feel compassion for their suffering. Not a conclusion I arrived at without a lot of ego suffering myself :)

Good to hear you learned the value of patience - a lot of people aren't that fortunate.

Cheers!

Jeremiah Ames

I really enjoyed your comments Geoff and pretty much agree with all you wrote.

BTW, my wife and I share a lot of humor with God.
We frequently mention how He must be rolling on the floor laughing at us and we laugh often when we discuss God's humorous interactions in our lives. Life should be fun and my wife and I have been 'having fun' for 45 years now.

All the best to you, dear sir.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Greetings all!

All the best!

To tell you honestly, you are right on the nickel with your post. Here is my personal experience with unhealthy healthy beliefs. I only know two I was heavily involved with: Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism and Catholicism.

So. Catholicism is wonderful. Love the sacraments. Can't speak ill of the my experience. Though, when I did became Catholic I notice a couple of things.

1. Only Catholics can receive the sacraments not christians as a whole.
If you are promoting a healthy belief in christ and the Church is They Church (which I believe it is since christianity isn't Jewish) but it is ironic in that it serves all people but deny the most important part of its foundation to christians who share the same belief as Catholics do.

That separation is very unhealthy.

2. Nichiren Shoshu is a TenTai Buddhist sect that was founded by Nichiren Shonin, a monk who studied the Pali and Sanskrit Dhammas and concluded that the older Buddhist teachings are outdated and only the teachings of the Lotus Sutra are valid.

The religion has a strict political focus and bluntly says "all others are wrong and we are right." No kidding on this one. They literally say other religions and Buddhist denominations are wrong and they are the only ones right.

I see both of these views (not religions) very unhealthy and I do not understand how a convert practitioner does not see the nature of these beliefs in comparison with how they affect people they are supposed to share their teachings with (core teaching of NB-share the faith-Diamoku). SGI, a split off of Nichiren Shoshu who was excommunicated by the temple, has a political non dogmatic approach. While I'm learning not to speak ill of other Buddhist denominations, the critique of these and Catholicism (Jehovah Witness and some forms of other protestant christianity), are highly unhealthy....

not specifically to the people who practice it. I see a lot of good behavior that outweigh the negativity people blame them for. However, how they affect people should be more priority than trying to save and/or convert.

Right after I took the sacraments, I read protestant and Catholic books. I read a good protestant book that went through details of Anti-Catholic arguments. They were sound and scripture oriented. Made me think. Then I really got into the Church, learned how people thought, and didn't stay.

Some things are healthy for people while the same things are unhealthy. In my view, if people are not killing, stealing, drinking, and growing from heavy attachments (among other things), then we're all good. Some religions are just not a good fit for people but they make it work anyway against their gut feeling-maybe cultural pressure.

I found healthy beliefs. I find that converts have more objective approaches than indoctrinated people. But that is a generalization.

It's a broad statement to say specific religions are not healthy. I just hope that whoever believes in any religion don't abuse it to where it affects other people's well being.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I really enjoyed your comments Geoff and pretty much agree with all you wrote.

BTW, my wife and I share a lot of humor with God.
We frequently mention how He must be rolling on the floor laughing at us and we laugh often when we discuss God's humorous interactions in our lives. Life should be fun and my wife and I have been 'having fun' for 45 years now.

All the best to you, dear sir.

It's a good point, I appreciate art, music, as a little slice of God's creativity that he wants to share, but I've never really thought about humor that way, though it is also something specific to humanity... maybe he just prefers to let us take credit for writing the jokes!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think mine are healthy as long as I follow this advice "Don't Believe Everything You Think"

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I just try to figure out what's true. If what's true isn't healthy, then I'm screwed pretty much any way you look at it.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Greetings all!

All the best!
I guess the quote "love never fails" is still a good quote...

And may you have a great and happy day! :D

Tmac

Greetings all!

All the best!

Actually Geoff-Allen, I'd like to hear a little more about your beliefs , not these perils of wisdom you throw out because in some of my interactions with you, there seems to be a break in integrity between your computer ego and the person I hear behind these words.