• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You Satisfied?

RestlessSoul

You mean, it I died today, would I be satisfied with my life?

Yes. I've had a good run of it. I wouldn't mind going longer, but I can't complain.

I have no idea what you mean by 'tools'. As I see it, my mind and body are me. When I die, I no longer exist, so I won't be doing anything.

Do you think your mind and body is all there is of you?

And what do you mean by your mind? The part of you that thinks, or the part that sees and hears? The conscious, waking mind, or the mind that dreams? Have you never felt within you a sense of silent being, which lies beyond the unquiet chattering mind?

Colt

If you were to lose your body and mind to death today, are you satisfied to surrender these “tools?”

If not, and if you don’t mind sharing, what is left to do?
No! Its the difference between self determined objectives and the perfect objective which is of God. This short turbulent life is only a beginning of endless adventure for those loyal to the Living God.

The Crimson Universe

If you were to lose your body and mind to death today, are you satisfied to surrender these “tools?”

First of all, i'm not afraid of death. It's the mental and physical suffering that i'm afraid of. Death just liberates us from all sorts of suffering. So yeah, if death comes i'll accept it. But that doesn't mean i want to die right now. I still have a lot of work to do. I wish to gain more knowledge on religious topics by reading the scriptures of major religions.
Then visiting sites of pilgrimage is another thing in my to-do list, like the Kaaba at Mecca and The Church of the Holy Sepulche at Jerusalem.

Helping the poor is something I've always wanted to do, ever since i was a kid.

I'm also a collector of graphic novels especially crime and horror comics from publishers like Dark Horse and i want to see my comic collection growing. :=)

Once i've finished doing these things i'll happily welcome death.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Nope. But I was dead before I was born.
Basically correct but use of words not exact. "I did not exist before my birth .. will not exist after my death".
I'll let you know ...
Final moments .. NDE. That is a physical phenomenon.

And what do you mean by your mind? The part of you that thinks, or the part that sees and hears? The conscious, waking mind, or the mind that dreams? Have you never felt within you a sense of silent being, which lies beyond the unquiet chattering mind?
Yes, let us not fantasize.
Silent mind or chattering mind, these are conditions of mind, and nothing beyond it.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes.

And what do you mean by your mind? The part of you that thinks, or the part that sees and hears?
It seems like they are the same.

The conscious, waking mind, or the mind that dreams?
Again, they appear to be the same.

Have you never felt within you a sense of silent being, which lies beyond the unquiet chattering mind?

And that also seems to be the same. All of these mental functions seem to arise from the activities of the brain.

amorphous_constellation

- To leave without having exercised sufficient production using my musical talent would bother me . I easily "waste" time on other things, or mis-allocate time where I oughtn't. Somehow, I make the use of my talents, the smallest of my aims.

- For example, I could spend the next month reading these two psychology books, and learning a little neuroanatomy. Why should I do that? To learn more about "objectivity." To better myself that way. But the spare time I have is limited, so contribute art

- Video games to de-stress, but really? It would be there anyway, and these things suck up too much time. How many hours have I spent trying to click the mouse faster

- I am lazy when I get off of work

- To retire and watch old pbs rerurns of the hound of the baskervilles, while the farm field fills with fog, and the roast is in the oven for 2 hours. To be old and sated, I would be. But not so much if I didn't make use of my talents, it would bother me like a cosmic itch

- Marcus Aurellius, when he talks about death

Vee

Premium Member

There will always be something left to do, but if I died today I would go with a clear conscience. I did as much good for others as I could and tried my best to minimize my impact on the planet. That has to be worth something.

RestlessSoul

Basically correct but use of words not exact. "I did not exist before my birth .. will not exist after my death".Final moments .. NDE. That is a physical phenomenon.
Yes, let us not fantasize.
Silent mind or chattering mind, these are conditions of mind, and nothing beyond it.

So by mind, you presumably mean electric activity occurring in the brain? The brain being an organ, then the mind is a function of the body? It has no qualities at all beyond it’s purely material nature?

The mind, as an independent state, or manifestation of being, is an illusion then? But who or what is experiencing the illusion?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The illusion is experiencing the illusion. Illusion squared. Mind is the product of eletro-chemical actions of the brain and nothing beyond it. In my 'not so humble' opinion. Facts cannot be modified by humbleness. A spade is a spade. :D

The Crimson Universe

The illusion is experiencing the illusion. Illusion squared. Mind is the product of eletro-chemical actions of the brain and nothing beyond it. In my 'not so humble' opinion. Facts cannot be modified by humbleness. A spade is a spade. :D

But i thought its Brahman, the universal consciousness that witnesses the illusion.
After all, Brahman is the witness.

... Or maybe witnessing is NOT the same as experiencing. I mean witnessing from afar, is just observing without getting entangled (into worldly things -> like the activities of mind and body).

Whereas 'experiencing', if i'm not mistaken, is actually 'feeling' the joys and suffering when one comes into contact with this world.

And as per advaita vedanta (Hindu Monism), the job of feeling or experiencing is done only by the mind and body, which are nothing but aspects of maya (illusion).
So i guess you were right when you said illusion experiences illusion.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That may be your view and that of many other Hindus. Some people need that kind of reassurance. I do not need support. I can stand on my own. Freedom of thought, deliberation, is never fettered in Hinduism.

RestlessSoul

Yes, you are right I think. Reality cannot be modified by humility. But perception can.

Is humility rated high on the list of virtues, in Hindu philosophy, would you say? Just interested...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no idea what you mean by 'tools'. As I see it, my mind and body are me. When I die, I no longer exist, so I won't be doing anything.

People have called me a tool. I was just going off what they said. :p