• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You Right?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It is in two parts. First when it comes to wrong. You have to ask yourself is this action or behavior going to cause any harm or hurt to myself and /or to any innocent beings in the present or future? If you answered in the positive, then maybe in fact your action or behavior is in fact wrong.
Why such an easy criteria to determine the wrongness of an action or behavior? Because doing evil is easy.

Now determining what is right and good is much, much more complex.

So if a decision were made to harm one innocent being to save hundreds, that is wrong?

Regardless of your answer, this still sounds a bit subjective to me.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Consider religion, politics, philosophy, morals, ethics, or whatever. How do you know you are right and another is wrong?

Is there truly a right or a wrong? Or are right and wrong merely human constructs to assert perspective?

Thoughts?

I'm just hoping my God acknowledges that "it's the thought that counts."

Curious George

Veteran Member
But you didn't answer the question. You say that the use of logic can determine if one is right or wrong. I'm not understanding how. In its simplest form, it's just assertion of perspective.
Let's be clear on our expectations of me: I have ambition to lay out a logical framework similar to Kant's moral imperative within a couple of posts on RF. You asked is it possible to be objectively right, i say yes. You ask how. I say through logic consistancy. You then say that logic itself could be wrong. Well then we have no system to evaluate each others words here much less whether one is right or wrong. So, we have assumed logic is correct based on our participation in this discussion. Now which system of logic is correct is another hurdle. But that doesn't matter as i am not laying out any actual framework. Thus my hypothetical would consist of whatever logic is correct.

Consider religion, politics, philosophy, morals, ethics, or whatever. How do you know you are right and another is wrong?

Is there truly a right or a wrong? Or are right and wrong merely human constructs to assert perspective?

Thoughts?

I don’t have much to offer other than that I think it would be the most hilarious thing if most of us who are adamant about being right, think they have religious truths and facts, or scientific truths and facts are one day completely stupefied and wrong for all of the lies and demeaning they have done to each other regarding this all.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Thoughts?

I know the Messengers of God were right. They are all Truth. Thus I can say I am right about all Gods Messengers and put my life on it.

As for the rest of it, understanding the entire big picture, sometimes we may be right with some aspects, if we agree with them and have actually understood what they have said, but therin lays the dilemma. ;)

Regards Tony

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I know the Messengers of God were right. They are all Truth. Thus I can say I am right about all Gods Messengers and put my life on it.

As for the rest of it, understanding the entire big picture, sometimes we may be right with some aspects, if we agree with them and have actually understood what they have said, but therin lays the dilemma. ;)

Regards Tony

Cool_story_bro_.jpg

But you didn't answer the question.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, as is evidenced in certain threads, we usually are.

Outnumbered 50 or more to 1. Could 50 people possibly be wrong? Sometimes it would be far easier just to say, "You're right and I'm wrong." that to even attempt some sort of reasoned discussion. Simpler.

"If you desire to be pure, have firm faith, and slowly go on with your devotional practices without wasting your energy in useless scriptural discussions and arguments. Your little brain will otherwise be muddled."
-- Sri Ramakrishna (1836-1886), famed Hindu mystic

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
So if a decision were made to harm one innocent being to save hundreds, that is wrong?

Regardless of your answer, this still sounds a bit subjective to me.
Whose decision would it be to harm one innocent being in order to save hundreds of being is it? Is it the choice of that one innocent being to be willing to sacrifice their life of their own volition? Or is someone else deciding that they should sacrifice that one innocent being to save hundreds?

David T

Premium Member

Thoughts?
Well i am pretty sure breathing is correct. Also it maybe important and not breathing is not good.i am pretty sure.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Yours. Mine. Theirs.

Is it right or is it wrong? Who gets to decide?
If we apply the principle of doing no harm then robbing a person of their volition against their will is wrong but if they choose to sacrifice themselves for the sake of others then that is where it get complex because even if their own self-sacrifice wasn't wrong because they did it of their own volition, you have to determine whether it was right or good. Good is complex.