1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Are you religious?

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by izzy88, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Andy Sims

Andy Sims NightSerf

Ratings:
    +8
    Religion:
    none
    Interesting. I was a member for about twenty-five years. It was the last religious organization in which I participated. It is a marvelous religion in many ways, but I came to a point where I realized that I had never in my life actually believed in God. I think I left the Faith pretty much the same person that I was when I entered it, always trying to treat others as well as my nature allowed and to tread lightly upon the earth rather than littering it unnecessarily with the detritus of survival.

So I work, I sing and play music, I dance (or will when we can be physically close to each other again), and do as much to help those in need as my limited resources allow.

Here's hoping all is as well as possible for all here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. viole

viole Ontological Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,036
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    According to some Christians, atheism is a religion. This is absurd of course, but at least to them it should not be a surprise if we join a religious forum.

In the same way a doctor spends time with the sick, without being herself sick.

Joking of course ... :)

Ciao

- viole

• Like Like x 1
  3. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,822
    Religion:
    None
    Why do you choose to spend time here? Why did you choose to ask this question? I suspect our reasons are very similar.

4. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,179
    Religion:
    Hindu
    Well, I'm not a scientist, but I choose to engage in scientific research and discussion.

I'm convinced many non-religious people spend time on a religious forum because they're curious and/or want to learn about religion and why it makes religious people tick.

Personally, I don't consider myself to be religious. I don't participate in ritual. I'm not devoted to any supreme being. I'm simply on a path of knowledge and realization.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,179
    Religion:
    Hindu
    Not all posts require my effort to read or respond.

If such posts annoy religious people, then maybe these religious people need to evaluate how they react. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Native

Native Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist

Ratings:
    +538
    Religion:
    Natural Perceptions
    As other debaters already have mentioned, the term "religious" has to be defined. And maybe even re-defined in modern terms.

The Latin word "re-ligare" describes "a (double) sided connectedness" and when it comes to "cultural religions" this connectedness is defined in every single cultural religion. You/we can feel "double-connected" in all kinds of ways when it comes to having such a connection of "something higher" or outside yourself.

It is said that the first "religious" way of worshipping is Shamanism which is based on both physical and spiritual observations and visions of "nature on and above the Earth". That is: The nature itself on and above the Earth defines the very religious system and beliefs.

In some cultural religions this perception STILL consist, but in other religions "dogmatism" and personalization of deities have taken over and the very natural basics have been forgotten in this de-mythification process.

This suppression have to some extend also happened along with the scientific technological development and perception of cosmos where cosmological "still images" don´t really speak of a cosmological motion which is explained and a linear time perception whereas the ancient perception was/is cyclical of nature.

Personally I go all in for the Shamanistic way of understanding and gathering knowledge of everything, and I also really like to study the numerous cultural Stories of Creation and Comparative Religion and Comparative Mythology.

That´s why my profile name is NATIVE. My "religion" is native and defined from the rhythms and scenario of nature itself.

Regards :)

#106 Native, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. randix

randix Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Religion:
    "spiritual but not religious" monist/deist/panentheist
    To clarify my previous post, I think that worldviews based on fact and evidence are more difficult to threaten than those based on beliefs. As I mentioned, I think that the threat from religion is not one of challenging science or evolution or any facts or evidence (because religion is very poor at that), but instead the tendency of religion in many forms to be authoritarian and to support persons, laws and institutions that tend to enforce conformity to their beliefs, while infringing upon individual freedom and liberty.

In other words, it seems to me that atheists, humanists and nonreligious people don't so much feel threatened by religious people's beliefs as they feel threatened to some extent by the people who hold those (many different competing) beliefs as fact, and are willing to act, sometimes forcefully and sometimes cruelly, upon beliefs which might actually be contrary to fact.

#107 randix, Apr 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +12,570
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    You clearly mention your faith as Bahai. If you are not a Bahai then why say so? Riddles, riddles.
    No, as an atheist, I do not feel threatened in any way. When I encounter people of this type, I will reply to them in their own language.

#108 Aupmanyav, Apr 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Jedster

Jedster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,305
    PMFJI, but I call this propagating without propagating. Many people do that here, which is not surprising.

10. MNoBody

MNoBody Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,280
    To gain perspective from every specialized aspect, is physically impossible, as it would take too long and the human mind is apparently not able to learn everything subjectively or intimately....
    some things take decades or a lifetime to really get to know, and still it isn't completely known then either...
    the more I have studied, the more ignorant I found I was and how truly vast knowledge in general really is
    so places where people who have spent time with these matters/topics are useful to make time to come to, {IMO} since they bring knowledge that may have some unique value
    I work with the premise that everybody has value [albeit unknown]
    and everybody has a perspective, that has something of worth [however small at times it may be, and people can surprise, which brings some zest to the whole affair]
    and how do you know until you try it, sample it.

reminds me of this story [couldn't find the meme summary so i had to lift it from google search]

Pablo Casals was a brilliant cellist, and I love a remark that he reportedly made when he was in his eighties or nineties. He continued to practice intensely with his cello in those golden years, and when he was asked why he was so diligent he replied with one of these statements:

I think I’m making progress.
    I think I see some improvement.

so, conversation is an art, and perhaps through practice we may all see some improvement...
    and since we are all in the same boat, I will say that I believe in you, not just because I must, but because I choose to.
    And it seems I am in decent company in this little pub at the end of the internet......[for the most part in any case :D] [he hopes as he hits enter and reaches for his coffee]o_O

• Like Like x 1
  11. izzy88

izzy88 Active Member

Ratings:
    +392
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I meant the latter...

...and I think the evidence is in my favor.

12. Curious George

Curious George Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,745
    Lol, if that reads as paranoia to you i would suggest getting glasses.

13. izzy88

izzy88 Active Member

Ratings:
    +392
    Religion:
    Catholic
    In the context of what I actually said...
    ...I'd say "paranoid" or "excessively suspicious" are very accurate terms to describe your reaction.

You'd likely have much more productive interactions with people if you took them at their word, instead of dreaming up a fantasy about them trying to pull one over on you.

14. Curious George

Curious George Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,745
    I don't dream you are trying to "pull one over" on me. I imagine that you are intelligent enough to realize that you were using to separate meanings of one word in order to pose a question that suggests you have no idea why non-religious people are on the forum. I suspected that you were also intelligent enough to articulate why you think the motives would differ in the first place. This leads me to the conclusion that you might very well be playing dumb.

If you want to try using that to feel persecuted or to claim that i am hostile toward you or paranoid about you, go for it.

15. izzy88

izzy88 Active Member

Ratings:
    +392
    Religion:
    Catholic
    You're really something, man.

I don't know why you have such a deep distrust for people, but I hope you can eventually overcome it.

16. MNoBody

MNoBody Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,280
    well, a lot of people have been terrorized just by living man
    once bitten twice shy
    ......[just noticing], personally you seem pretty reasonable and level minded to me......

17. InvestigateTruth

InvestigateTruth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,482
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    To me religious and believer are not necessarily the same. Religious people are often dogmatic, fanatice, close minded. But to be a believer, does not necessarily involve having same character as being religious.

18. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35,160
    Religion:
    None
    No, I'm an out and out atheist and still have trouble trying to understand how people can put so much faith in faith. I have however learned a lot from RF on various religions and non religious subjects

19. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +20,077
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    It's called "Religious Forums," but a lot of the discussion here is about things other than religion.

That being said, I participate in discussions here about religion because:

- I think it's important to engage with issues that affect society. Religion certainly is an issue that affects society, including non-religious people.

- I think it's useful, especially in areas where religion might impose itself on others, to get religious people to consider the impact of their decisions and actions on people who don't necessarily share their views.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GoodbyeDave

GoodbyeDave Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Religion:
    Hellenic Polytheist
    But it is complicated. Many people in the USA define themselves as "spiritual but not religious". Outside North America, the term "spiritual" is just an old-fashioned synonym for "religious", making that description meaningless. In Britain, to describe some-one as religious does not simply mean that they practice a religion — it means that they are notably pious or devout. Many in the USA would be happy to call themselves "devout" — Barack Obamah did — but in Britain that would be boastful and hence in bad taste.