• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you religious?

Are you religious?

• Total voters

Treasure Hunter

But now, I'm mainly here because I've got used to the community and its members. It feel like home or even family (if an extremely dysfunctional one).
This seems common and we should try to connect with people, but beware the pull toward community and the identities and habits formed around that. There is often a hidden pull away from truth underlying it all.

Curious George

Veteran Member
And where exactly did I equivocate those two concepts?
When you used the same word without drawing a distinction. The implication is that the two terms are equivalent. If you meant something less ambiguous perhaps you should have said something less ambiguous.

But, if you want to dance around your post, would you please elaborate on why you think the reasons for being here might differ between a religious vs non religious person?

izzy88

This seems common and we should try to connect with people, but beware the pull toward community and the identities and habits formed around that. There is often a hidden pull away from truth underlying it all.
Interesting point. Can you elaborate on it?

izzy88

When you used the same word without drawing a distinction. The implication is that the two terms are equivalent. If you meant something less ambiguous perhaps you should have said something less ambiguous.

But, if you want to dance around your post, would you please elaborate on why you think the reasons for being here might differ between a religious vs non religious person?

Almost everyone else here seemed to understand the question just fine, except a select few who for whatever reason seem to wish to make things as complicated as possible.

If there were a forum called "photography forum" and there were several people there who not only weren't photographers, but didn't even like photography, wouldn't it be reasonable to ask why they're spending their time on a photography forum?

There's absolutely nothing unreasonable or confusing about what I asked.

izzy88

It is the “you can’t serve two masters” teaching. There is the truth of preservation, settling into a community and the truth of attaining our desire for fulfillment. We can’t choose both.
But surely it's reasonable to settle into a community as long as you aren't seeking your ultimate fulfillment in it? What is it about being a member of a community that would necessarily compete with your search for truth?

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Cannot answer for the OP but I would personally say that religion can be defined by orthodoxy (belief) and/or orthopraxy (practice)......
I would have said I am religious, but since I am not orthodox - neither with a small "o" or a capital "O" - nor am I orthopraxic, I must have been mistaken.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I am definitively NOT religious -- although I am quite religious about being non-religious, if you take my meaning.

However, religion is a big part of life for the majority of humans on this planet, and I am very interested in people. I'm also very interested in philosophy -- not in the terribly formal sense, but in the sense of what it might mean to live a good life. And I have found that religious forums are the place where that discussion happens most easily. I have been on philosophy forums, but far too often they take themselves too seriously and actually think they ARE philosopers...which many of their posts argue vociferously against! :p

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If there were a forum called "photography forum" and there were several people there who not only weren't photographers, but didn't even like photography, wouldn't it be reasonable to ask why they're spending their time on a photography forum?
Indeed. It seems a waste of time to devote so much effort to something you dislike.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Almost everyone else here seemed to understand the question just fine, except a select few who for whatever reason seem to wish to make things as complicated as possible.

There's absolutely nothing unreasonable or confusing about what I asked.

Ignoring your appeal to popularity:

You did not explain why you believe the differ?

Treasure Hunter

But surely it's reasonable to settle into a community as long as you aren't seeking your ultimate fulfillment in it? What is it about being a member of a community that would necessarily compete with your search for truth?
Going back to the other thread, when discussing morality — which is simply how we should act — I am almost always speaking from a first person, subjective perspective. So, from a third person perspective, there is nothing wrong with being involved with community.

I was speaking to the pull (first person) of identity and habit. Eventually, we have to choose (psychologically) between preserving the meaning associated with that identity and those behaviors or detaching from that meaning in pursuit of a more fulfilling, sustained meaning.

We won’t pursue higher truths or higher meaning if we are actively preserving the meaning we are familiar with.

izzy88

Going back to the other thread, when discussing morality — which is simply how we should act — I am almost always speaking from a first person, subjective perspective. So, from a third person perspective, there is nothing wrong with being involved with community.

I was speaking to the pull (first person) of identity and habit. Eventually, we have to choose (psychologically) between preserving the meaning associated with that identity and those behaviors or detaching from that meaning in pursuit of a more fulfilling, sustained meaning.

We won’t pursue higher truths or higher meaning if we are actively preserving the meaning we are familiar with.
I see what you're saying, now; and I do believe you're right.

randix

If you aren't religious, please give an explanation for why you choose to spend time on a religious forum.
Conversely, one might ask why so many religious people spend so much time arguing against science and evolution. :rolleyes:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
If you don't know the meaning, how come you already answered the question? How do you know that you are "sometimes" religious if you don't actually know what "religious" means?
Answering for myself only...
There are members who declare that I am religious and there are members who declare I am not religious.

So which members are correct?

Curious George

Veteran Member
Good grief, man; this is not a debate. Do you know what a conversation is?
Sure i do, but i would prefer to keep after the subject about which you inquired.

You asked me to elaborate on how you equivocated. Your less than forthcoming attitude with respect to my question should highlight that well enough.

Regarding why people are here, i would imagine all people here at one time or another wanted to discuss matters concerning religion. One does not have to believe, adhere, or even be inclined toward any religion in order to want to discuss matters concerning religion; nor does having belief, adherence, or inclination make someone more apt to want to discuss matters concerning religion.

I can not imagine why that is difficult for anyone to grasp.