• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you religious?

Are you religious?

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't understand your hostility; what's wrong with asking someone why they're interested in something that they're interested in? I thought it would be a good way to get to know people better. And I only asked the non-religious why they're here because it seems silly to ask a religious person why they're on a religious forum, doesn't it?

Why do you characterize my comments as hostile?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm a spiritual but not religious type so I voted no.

My personal definition is that religious people follow doctrine, rituals and so forth. There's often if not always some scriptural reference that influences their morality at least theoretically.

Spiritual types IMO may or may not reference any scripture at all or find truth in multiple ones. They tend to believe that the truth is within them.

Agnostisch

Egyptian Man
Cannot answer for the OP but I would personally say that religion can be defined by orthodoxy (belief) and/or orthopraxy (practice).

Thus, it's possible to be a "believer" (and thus religious in the first sense) but to be non-practising and so not "religious" under the second definition.

Alternatively, it's possible to be a "religious fictionalist" which means that you are not a believer (not religious under first definition) but you are "religious" under the second because you partake of religious community or individual rituals, such as church, mosque, synagogue, kosher, meditation etc.

Then, you get people who are religiously observant - like practising orthodox Catholics, or Torah-observant religious Jews - who are religious under both senses.

So, 'tis complicated.

If religion means practicing rituals, I can say that I am a Muslim, but if religion means beliefs , I have a religion of my own that does not resemble someone else's.

izzy88

If religion means practicing rituals, I can say that I am a Muslim, but if religion means beliefs , I have a religion of my own that does not resemble someone else's.
Why do you observe Muslim rituals if you do not share their belief system?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I thought it would be interesting to see what percentage of people on this forum are actually religious.

If you aren't religious, please give an explanation for why you choose to spend time on a religious forum.

Even though I am not religious I have always loved religions because they are an important part of our history, they have contributed to the colourfulness of our culture, have an air of mystery, helps me to understand others and much more.

I also practice my critical thinking skills by challenging views I disagree with.

It is also a cool place to hang out with people who are interested in the same topics as I, which is rare.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Because you refused to answer the question and objected to it even being asked.

Believing that a question is ridiculous is not quite the same thing as being hostile to it. I can believe someone is a fool without wishing them ill. I can believe a question is stupid without being hostile to it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Never have been religious.
Why here?
1) More here than religion.
2) Religion is interesting.
3) Religion affects us all, particularly in government.

izzy88

Believing that a question is ridiculous is not quite the same thing as being hostile to it. I can believe someone is a fool without wishing them ill. I can believe a question is stupid without being hostile to it.

Sure you can, but you did indeed act hostile towards it.

I also do not understand why you think asking people about their interests is ridiculous and stupid.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Sure you can, but you did indeed act hostile towards it.

Is it that you're a mind reader then? Or, more precisely, is it that you yourself believe you are?

If you are not projecting onto me your hostility towards me, why are you refusing to accept in good faith my explanation of my behavior?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Mostly, I imagine, on here it annoys certain religious people who post a topic aimed primarily at other religious people, but atheists come in and drag it down to 'but science' &c. instead of even hypothetically accepting a certain premise as a given and working from there. It brings a lot of religious discussion down to 'PROVE IT!!!' or 'BUT MUH SCIENCE!'
Right. You start a topic wanting to discuss a concept or question about God(s), the afterlife, souls and spirits, etc. and you have to deal with pages of atheists saying things like "but you haven't even demonstrated that those exist!". It's beyond annoying. It happens basically every time such a topic is started in the debate area.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Why do I spend time here?

Entertainment, information, to get outside of the bubble to see the views of people that have no vested interest in agreeing with me. To practice my mediocre debate skills.

Humor, there is a lot of humor/sarcasm about that I enjoy.

Also, RF is a place where I can have my opinions evaluated and sometimes corrected for free. :thumbsup:

Do you want to have a full argument or are you thinking of taking a course?