• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you really listening?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hope you are all well.

I just found this page by accident {almost} ...

Mindful listening is hard, for everyone. There are external and internal forces to manage, even when you’re putting in conscious effort. Noisy, open office spaces with interruptions from co-workers, technology devices pinging nonstop—all these disturbances add to the challenge of concentrating on conversation. And what’s happening in your head can be even more disruptive. Start looking deeply at your impulses and habits during interactions with different people. Do you tend to interrupt or “help out” by finishing someone’s sentence? If the person you’re talking with is struggling, is your immediate reaction to try to say something funny to break the tension? Or maybe there’s a silence that makes you uncomfortable, so you find yourself speaking just to fill the void.

How to Give Your Full Attention - Mindful

It also lists 5 techniques you can try ...

All the best!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Hope you are all well.

I just found this page by accident {almost} ...

Mindful listening is hard, for everyone. There are external and internal forces to manage, even when you’re putting in conscious effort. Noisy, open office spaces with interruptions from co-workers, technology devices pinging nonstop—all these disturbances add to the challenge of concentrating on conversation. And what’s happening in your head can be even more disruptive. Start looking deeply at your impulses and habits during interactions with different people. Do you tend to interrupt or “help out” by finishing someone’s sentence? If the person you’re talking with is struggling, is your immediate reaction to try to say something funny to break the tension? Or maybe there’s a silence that makes you uncomfortable, so you find yourself speaking just to fill the void.

How to Give Your Full Attention - Mindful

It also lists 5 techniques you can try ...

All the best!

I've become pretty good at the art of tuning out. I fine a lot of folks tend to talk about a lot of unimportant stuff. Like politics, weather, gossip etc... Right so stuff that has no particular benefit in knowing. I can keep the conversation going without much conscious effort, people like to talk about stuff and I don't want to be rude about it.

However, when it becomes important, that's when I become a very active listener.