• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you patriotic?

Are you patriotic?

• Total voters

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
From the US. I voted yes to being patriotic, but that is primarily about our potential and SOME of our achievements since becoming an independent nation.

Yes, it is an accident of birth that I came here, but I choose to choose being patriotic, because I think there are things to be proud about.

That said, I have spent most of my life being appalled at many of the things that my people and my nation have done and continue to do. I can't make it perfect, but I can work toward making it a better place for all.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
No. Those who stormed the US Capital call themselves patriots, so no.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't meet enough people I would think likely 'patriotic' in the sense of supporting something that was not first in the interests of entertaining themselves ("Politics as a spectator sport", performance outrage); not second in the interests of supporting their propaganda created fun house mirror of their own best self-interests (See political parties, left, center, and especially right); and only third in the interests of the people as a whole of any given nation. Leave alone, our common humanity, the earth we live on, etc.

I don't mind going down as an American if that means going down with a fight. I just don't want to be whatever an American is these days that means to him or her going down while supporting the most self-entertaining path to their own defeat.

A lack of intellectual honesty weaponizes propaganda to become capable of turning a nation of humanly wise, decent people into a village of village idiots.

I cannot be a patriot to that creature.

Profits and wealth have never meant so much to me that I'd rape my neighbor's mind.

amorphous_constellation

Well, on balance, are you? Why or why not?

(Please state your country)

the u.s.

Based on what, is the question you'd have to ask, though in a way, maybe it doesn't really matter all that much.. I haven't really met, or heard of that many people that inspire me in my country.

Certain things about the concept I like, for sure. But I don't know where to start with all the problems I see socially, or with economic prospects, or with infrastructure, or with what the future looks like.

Forget a feeling a patriotism, I'm just trying to get through this gauntlet as best I can

I am just ending my vacation session for the year.. mostly I'm just looking forward to when it comes around again, and hoping I don't get laid off. Luckily time keeps going faster as you age

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
My country gives me:

- Social security/welfare.
- Education; my room is full of books.
- The right to vote.
- A functioning court, parliament and defence system.
- The NHS.
- Freedom of worship.
- Freedom of conscience.
- A decent wage relative to other countries.
- The right to leave.
- The right to an alternate law/court system, such as Halacha or Sharia.
- The right to have as may children as I like, or none.
- A free press (say what you will, we're not China).
- An abundance of food, clothing and other goods.

Where else would I rather live? Sure, maybe the folks aren't great but I can't be ungrateful.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'm patriotic in terms of the values of Freedom and Liberty exposed to me at an early age in school for which America was supposedly the world figurehead of those values represented with the Statue of Liberty, gifted by France, was to serve as a beacon for those seeking those values.

It's a rather strong shock now looking at what my country has become and the lies taught to me in school that America leads the charge in that respect.

I would say I'm loyal to the country of my birth but I do question why I should be patriotic in terms of expressing my patriotism from time to time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From the US. I voted yes to being patriotic, but that is primarily about our potential and SOME of our achievements since becoming an independent nation.

Yes, it is an accident of birth that I came here, but I choose to choose being patriotic, because I think there are things to be proud about.

That said, I have spent most of my life being appalled at many of the things that my people and my nation have done and continue to do. I can't make it perfect, but I can work toward making it a better place for all.
I agree.
But I voted unpatriotic because I'm uncomfortable
with patriotism commonly espoused. Add to that
my being a felonious draft dodger.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What should they have taught you, instead of these lies?

While the history of slavery was taught, it was never ever adequately explained why we were the country of the free. Sure it was good for most Europeans but so many loose ends remained.

Native American history was also excised In terms of the viewpoint of those occupying the lands prior to Europe's arrival to the states. I only learned one perspective and it wasn't indigenous history.

The country always looked at odds with its values associated with freedom and liberty, but as a kid, I didnt know any better and never questioned the things I was taught.

I think history needs to be revisited and changes in regards to accuracy and verification of events and people.

danieldemol

Premium Member

I'm not sure, there's many things I love about Australia, but we have had a history of racism towards aboriginal and other people so if I have to take an overall approach I'd say I love it in spite of its faults rather than having a blindly patriotic fervour for it.

I think the country could be significantly improved by a more left leaning leadership (i primarily have the Labor party in mind).

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Eh... I feel patriotic about the PNW (hence my avatar), but the united states? Not really. The greater united states feels foreign to me. I've felt more culture shock going to other parts of the country than I have leaving the country and going up into Canada, to be honest.

Shaul

Premium Member
When I was young and enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps I swore an oath to defend the country with my very life if necessary. I have never regretted having done so. The United States is a great nation. Anyone who disagrees is entitled to their erroneous opinion and can take a hike.

amorphous_constellation

Eh... I feel patriotic about the PNW (hence my avatar), but the united states? Not really. The greater united states feels foreign to me. I've felt more culture shock going to other parts of the country than I have leaving the country and going up into Canada, to be honest.

Yeah I think most our of culture is represented, both to the world and to us, via the eastern / western fringe metropolitan centers