• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you patriotic?

Are you patriotic?

• Total voters

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
In a way. I certainly don't hate my country although I am bitter about how irreligious it has become. I have trouble relating to any country because my religion is more important to me than my nation, and there is no and never has been a Noahide nation - so the history of my country is all based on a religion that I can't identify with, our traditions are all Christian and so on. As for the things this country has achieved and what not, yes, I like it.

There are goodness knows how many Israeli flags up in my room and 1 British flag. I'm a Brit.

Erebus

I love England.

I loathe the English.

I suppose on balance that means I have to vote No. While the hills and forests appeal to me, the cities don't. I find a lot of the history and folklore fascinating but that doesn't change the fact that I'm frequently disgusted by the people I share a country with. Ultimately, I can't bring myself to say, "I'm proud to be English." Perhaps misanthropy just isn't compatible with patriotism.

I have Pledged my allegiance to the Republic of the United States by way of its flag from my youth.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I've never been particular patriotic, even at sporting events, where I can enjoy our competitors winning (not so frequent in many areas), but it is more down to the individuals' success than being for the country. I was born in the UK and feel lucky for such but no doubt I might have felt the same being born in many other countries too. One can't ignore the past history of one's country, and for the UK it has been a mixture of good and bad like most others, so I don't really dwell on any perceived greatness (Make Britain Great Again :D), but I'm sure many want such. Hence my lack of patriotism is more about respecting other countries and the people, since I don't see humans as being that different wherever they live - some are more fortunate than others in certain respects. But I am reasonably content living in the UK (England, and all my life) even if the majority are not so aligned politically with my thinking, and where results like Brexit show such. I've seen a lot of changes over many decades but no great deterioration, even if I would prefer we lived differently in many ways.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's a trick question to me. I feel patriotism about what the USA could be if we lived up to our ideals. I feel the opposite when I look at the hell-hole the Trump party has become and the destruction they are trying to inflict on our values and institutions.

So, patriotic in basic values and not patriotic about how we are today.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It's a trick question to me. I feel patriotism about what the USA could be if we lived up to our ideals. I feel the opposite when I look at the hell-hole the Trump party has become and the destruction they are trying to inflict on our values and institutions.

So, patriotic in basic values and not patriotic about how we are today.
Yeah, this pretty much covers my view of the subject...