• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you offended by religion, god or politics?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If you are offended by religion, atheism, sexism, Trump, Biden (or either political party), why are you here?
Let us see your thoughts.

Religion -- in general, no, extremism, fundimentalism etc, yes.
Some religious people - yes

Atheism - no. Some atheists - yes, atheist are people too with peoples mindsets.

Sexism - yes, the biblical view that women are second class is long gone.

Trump - yes, anyone who gropes women and brags about it gets but in the same category of pervert, who is not offended by a pervert?

Bilden - no view, i dont know enough of him to form an opinion.

Why am i here - because i enjoy it

Erebus

If you are offended by religion, atheism, sexism, Trump, Biden (or either political party), why are you here?

I can find certain religious/political beliefs and actions offensive (though as @Skwim suggests, disgust might be more accurate). I suspect the majority of people feel that way, even if it's only in relation to the most extreme examples. When ISIS burns somebody to death or a political extremist guns down innocents, disgust seems an appropriate response.

That doesn't stop me from being interested in discussing religion and politics. Why should it?

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm not offended by what people believe, they are free to believe whatever they want. I am only offended by what they do in the name of their beliefs, when what they are doing causes harm to other people.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The older I get, the less offense I take.
This has been good for both my judgement & equanimity.
I still judge, favor, oppose, fulminate, praise, condemn, &
have fun with such things. But I never let it bother me.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are you offended by religion, atheism, sexism, Trump, Biden (or either political party), then why are you here?

I seldom take offense at anything I read here.

Beside being entertaining, participating here is a learning experience. It can be thought of as a running self-study course for the unbeliever, complete with lecture and lab. The lecture is the exchange of ideas about theism, science, philosophy, daily life and the news.

The lab section consists of observing people in a way not possible in any other context, and perhaps tapping the glass a little to test for reactions. It's a study in human psychology. Where else will people be so candid for years on end, discussing matters in anonymity that might be problematic if discussed with a coworker or in-law who might resent your position, worsening the relationship

This was even more the case in another similar forum I participated in for several years before moving over to Religious Forums, where the moderation was much less present, and the local culture was a food fight with virtually no holds barred. This exposed a side of humanity not visible on this site, which was a great education if you'd like to know how people really feel.

The lecture section comprises the good ideas shared here by many knowledgeable people. This is where I learned all of the climate science I know, and in some detail , such as why a molecule needs to be at least triatomic to serve as a greenhouse gas.

But the greatest benefit has come from crafting responses to those with whom I disagree, which helps me to be a better thinker and a better writer. Arguments are refined and honed over the years. One gets practice writing, incorporating new or seldom used vocabulary and colorful turns of phrase. And I especially like practicing the art of identifying and naming logical fallacies.

I am enjoying answering you now, an answer given several times before, but with a new twist this time.

I don't think humans are smart enough to rule themselves.

This would be a good example of a bit of the lab. I've learned from our interactions over the last two years. I've never known anybody that is as pessimistic about humanity as you are. I've also never knowingly had conversation with a Jehovah's Witness before coming over to Religious Forums (I don't recall anybody self-identifying as one on the other site), so I don't have much context in which to judge the significance of your opinion. There are a few others here who call themselves Jehovah's Witnesses as well, but they don't post like you. None of them is nearly as nihilistic.

Where do ideas such as the one above come from? Your religion, probably, but if so, are there variants of it that are less dark to account for the other Jehovah's Witnesses here that don't post like this, or are they in agreement with you and just playing it closer to the vest. I would expect a fair amount of uniformity in doctrine among Jehovah's Witnesses the world over.

Incidentally, I can assure you that human beings are capable of self-rule, just like zebras and raccoons. The history of civilization includes the evolution of governments, some modern examples of which serve their citizens very well. You're Australian. As far as I know, the Australian government has done a fine job maintaining the peace and facilitating the self-development, economic opportunity, and freedom necessary to pursue happiness as each of you envision it. My country of birth, America, did that for me as well.

Presently, I live in Mexico, which government is not as evolved, yet provides its citizens with a high degree of peace and freedom, but not as much opportunity for either education or a well-paying job. Still, this is effective self-rule as well. The people are largely happy, happier than in America.

Evidence that you are wrong is everywhere one turns. Everybody I know is doing a pretty good job ruling themselves. My wife and I have done so together for nearly 30 years now, and have led a satisfactory life. She is fully capable of running her own life, as am I.

And I'll bet that the same is true for you as well. Your world apart from your religious choice is probably much like mine. Yet you have a radically different view of it. You see it heading to some crisis point, at which time the world will be transformed according to a religious vision, an idea that serves your church and ensures your continued connection with it for as long as you believe that. It serves them to convince you that the world is a horrible place getting worse, and that is what you report despite the evidence all around you to the contrary.

That's interesting.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
I seldom take offense at anything I read here.

Beside being entertaining, participating here is a learning experience. It can be thought of as a running self-study course for the unbeliever, complete with lecture and lab. The lecture is the exchange of ideas about theism, science, philosophy, daily life and the news.

The lab section consists of observing people in a way not possible in any other context, and perhaps tapping the glass a little to test for reactions. It's a study in human psychology. Where else will people be so candid for years on end, discussing matters in anonymity that might be problematic if discussed with a coworker or in-law who might resent your position, worsening the relationship

This was even more the case in another similar forum I participated in for several years before moving over to Religious Forums, where the moderation was much less present, and the local culture was a food fight with virtually no holds barred. This exposed a side of humanity not visible on this site, which was a great education if you'd like to know how people really feel.

The lecture section comprises the good ideas shared here by many knowledgeable people. This is where I learned all of the climate science I know, and in some detail , such as why a molecule needs to be at least triatomic to serve as a greenhouse gas.

But the greatest benefit has come from crafting responses to those with whom I disagree, which helps me to be a better thinker and a better writer. Arguments are refined and honed over the years. One gets practice writing, incorporating new or seldom used vocabulary and colorful turns of phrase. And I especially like practicing the art of identifying and naming logical fallacies.

I am enjoying answering you now, an answer given several times before, but with a new twist this time.

This would be a good example of a bit of the lab. I've learned from our interactions over the last two years. I've never known anybody that is as pessimistic about humanity as you are. I've also never knowingly had conversation with a Jehovah's Witness before coming over to Religious Forums (I don't recall anybody self-identifying as one on the other site), so I don't have much context in which to judge the significance of your opinion. There are a few others here who call themselves Jehovah's Witnesses as well, but they don't post like you. None of them is nearly as nihilistic.

Where do ideas such as the one above come from? Your religion, probably, but if so, are there variants of it that are less dark to account for the other Jehovah's Witnesses here that don't post like this, or are they in agreement with you and just playing it closer to the vest. I would expect a fair amount of uniformity in doctrine among Jehovah's Witnesses the world over.

Incidentally, I can assure you that human beings are capable of self-rule, just like zebras and raccoons. The history of civilization includes the evolution of governments, some modern examples of which serve their citizens very well. You're Australian. As far as I know, the Australian government has done a fine job maintaining the peace and facilitating the self-development, economic opportunity, and freedom necessary to pursue happiness as each of you envision it. My country of birth, America, did that for me as well.

Presently, I live in Mexico, which government is not as evolved, yet provides its citizens with a high degree of peace and freedom, but not as much opportunity for either education or a well-paying job. Still, this is effective self-rule as well. The people are largely happy, happier than in America.

Evidence that you are wrong is everywhere one turns. Everybody I know is doing a pretty good job ruling themselves. My wife and I have done so together for nearly 30 years now, and have led a satisfactory life. She is fully capable of running her own life, as am I.

And I'll bet that the same is true for you as well. Your world apart from your religious choice is probably much like mine. Yet you have a radically different view of it. You see it heading to some crisis point, at which time the world will be transformed according to a religious vision, an idea that serves your church and ensures your continued connection with it for as long as you believe that. It serves them to convince you that the world is a horrible place getting worse, and that is what you report despite the evidence all around you to the contrary.

That's interesting.

Everytime I stop in here I learn something. It seems there are people from every walk of life here. Different places, beliefs, experience's, levels of education, success, failure's, travels, thoughts, opinions, etc. If a person doesn't learn anything from this forum they have to be closed minded as can be.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
there are four motivations of Man

assuming Hierarchy......religion is top of the list
and someone will stand to a pulpit and attempt to convince you ….
God wants you to....(whatever)

followed by politics....wherein someone will stand to podium and try to convince you...
I have a plan
Stay the course
I am not a crook

followed by the military....wherein someone in a uniform will declare law
point guns at resisters
and execute if need be

last but not least.....economics
there's money in it for me (the boss)
there's a paycheck for you and the time clock is over there.....somewhere

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Naw. I love the Bushido battles here. Especially politics. Sometimes I feel I need a rest but......=O] .

BRING IT ON!!!!!!

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

What you call nihilistic, we call realistic. You've removed yourself from your country because of that reality and yet you claim that it doesn't exist....that's interesting. An example of cognitive dissonance perhaps?

It's that Aussie directness coming through. We tell it like it is, as I have said, I don't tip-toe around people's sensitivities very well. All of Jehovah's Witnesses agree, but others may pull their punches a bit, especially Americans who are used to the peculiar sensibilities inherent in their population. If you try niceties with Australians they just want to know who you are and what you want. It's an inherent trait to get to the point, without beating around the bush.....it's just being real about a situation that you can't seem to see from your present vantage point.

Just as a side note, my mother is not a JW and she can clearly see what's wrong with the world...so much so that she fears for the children of the current generation. She sees very little happening that inspires confidence for the future....and let's face it, the future is all we have. The present will be gone tomorrow and there is nothing that can do to alter the past....humans are not good at learning its lessons, hence they keep repeating all their past mistakes.

Incidentally, I can assure you that human beings are capable of self-rule, just like zebras and raccoons. The history of civilization includes the evolution of governments, some modern examples of which serve their citizens very well.

I would assume that we could expect something a little more civilised from sentient beings with a fairly good grasp on the difference between right and wrong.....but then again, someone who believes that we have evolved from animals might not expect any better that what zebras or raccoons can accomplish. I expect better for some reason....

You're Australian. As far as I know, the Australian government has done a fine job maintaining the peace and facilitating the self-development, economic opportunity, and freedom necessary to pursue happiness as each of you envision it. My country of birth, America, did that for me as well.

In the old days things were so much simpler. We didn't have terrorism to contend with, or gun crime escalating in a country where deadly weapons are banned. We didn't have divorce rates so high that we wonder why people spend thousands of dollars on their dream wedding when they don't even expect it to last. So many people don't bother to get married anymore because it seems pointless; they can have all the benefits without the responsibilities......so it seems like the only ones who are demanding marriage these days are gays. Go figure...

Australia, like all other democracies is in trouble. The "winter of discontent" has reached into all democratic nations and is breaking these nations apart. People are so sick of the empty promises and the ploys to win votes....they finally see this system for what it is.....another dismal failure of man to govern himself for the good of others. Politicians are all in it for themselves. Who can deny that? Who can't see through all the bulldust? (An Australian outback term in you want to look it up)

Are they as happy as the drug cartels will allow them to be? Are they as deluded as the Catholic Church leads them to be?
Why did you leave America again.....?

Does anyone else exist outside of your bubble? You have a very distorted vision of the world IMO.

That's interesting.

LOL ...what is interesting is that you have escaped to your own little slice of paradise in a foreign country and can somehow pretend that everyone is as happy and contented as you appear to be. It's as though the rest of the world doesn't exist.....and perhaps for you, it doesn't. All the best with that.

Tell it to the homeless and those who fight in wars for their government only to succumb to PTSD and be thrown on the scrap heap when they need help on their return home. Time to see what is going on outside your bubble......or perhaps it serves you better to stay there and pretend...? :shrug:

You continue to amaze me.....

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What you call nihilistic, we call realistic.

You are not being realistic. You've ignored all of the good aspects of reality, seeing only darkness. Realistic would be somewhere closer to a midpoint between a world that is all good and all bad.

You've removed yourself from your country because of that reality and yet you claim that it doesn't exist....that's interesting.

What does that have to do with anything? Mexico is more appealing in retirement than the States. The reality is that we get great weather and much better prices.

Just as a side note, my mother is not a JW and she can clearly see what's wrong with the world...so much so that she fears for the children of the current generation. She sees very little happening that inspires confidence for the future.

That's unfortunate. Does she see anything that's right with the world?

it's just being real about a situation that you can't seem to see from your present vantage point

No, you have been deceived and are calling it "just being real." The world is not the hell-hole that you say it is. I know from personal experience, There are good people all about you living lives that they value and enjoy.

My interest is in understanding who deceived you. I have always assumed that it was your religion, but I mentioned that I had not seen this intense gloom from the other Jehovah's Witnesses. As your last comment above suggests, perhaps your grim mood is due to your upbringing.

someone who believes that we have evolved from animals might not expect any better that what zebras or raccoons can accomplish

You probably shouldn't broach scientific issues in mixed company like this (there are non-creationists here who know better). It doesn't work out well for the creationist discussing science with those who actually understand it.

We human beings are animals, whatever you think your Bible tells you to the contrary, and we evolved from other animals. That's settled science, religious pronouncements to the contrary notwithstanding. You're an animal. So am I.

In the old days things were so much simpler. We didn't have terrorism to contend with, or gun crime escalating in a country where deadly weapons are banned. We didn't have divorce rates so high

Yes, and we didn't have electric lighting at night, power tools, automobiles, or the polio vaccine, either. I'd rather be alive now than then. Is terrorism really a big problem in your life, or is this just you seizing upon something else to fear and lament?

This is what I expect from you now - a laundry list of negatives without a single acknowledgment that there is anything good about mankind, life, or the world.

You're just wrong. Life has never been so good for so many as it is right now.

Are they as happy as the drug cartels will allow them to be?

More darkness from you.

Yes, my neighbors seem happy. Why shouldn't they be? They don't live in your dark world - your bubble of gloom. They live in the real world. They go about their lives working and playing, raising their children, earning incomes, preparing food, caring for their elders, hanging laundry, and maintaining their homes just like much of the rest of the world..

The drug cartels don't interfere with the happiness of anybody except those that compete with them, and those that try to put them out of business such as the police, judges, military, politicians and journalists, as well as the families of all of the above at times.

It's a problem, but it doesn't define this country, nor discernibly affect the lives of our Mexican neighbors or ours. We wouldn't be here otherwise.

Are they as deluded as the Catholic Church leads them to be?

We each have to take responsibility for our own thoughts and beliefs. If their religion is damaging them, then they have the choice to participate in it or not, just as you do with yours.

what is interesting is that you have escaped to your own little slice of paradise in a foreign country and can somehow pretend that everyone is as happy and contented as you appear to be.

Another straw man from you. I have never said any such thing.

What I have said is that the world is not the horrible place you see, and that many people are leading happy, productive, meaningful, purposeful lives - in fact, more than ever before. Too bad you can't take pride in that like I can. You're entitled to root for such things.

You have a very distorted vision of the world IMO.

I'd say that to you.

But here's the catch. Whatever the truth of the matter, neither of us can change it much, and so we are constrained to live out the rest of our lives in this world, whatever it is. Even if there were some sense in which you were correct, and the world is going to hell in a basket, I'd still rather live life in my head than yours. My world is more beautiful, more hopeful.

You also seem to resent my happiness, as if it were inappropriate for anybody to be happy in the horrible world you see. Sorry, but I'm going to be happy anyway for as long as life is good. At age 64, retired, in good health, happily married, living in a beautiful place, and surrounded by friends, I would have to be pretty ungrateful to buy into your negativity and not appreciate how good the world is for so many.

Tell it to the homeless and those who fight in wars for their government only to succumb to PTSD and be thrown on the scrap heap when they need help on their return home. Time to see what is going on outside your bubble......or perhaps it serves you better to stay there and pretend...?

It's you that lives in a bubble, waiting for your life to end in a world that you don't like or respect, hoping for something better after that. I don't believe that I've ever seen a happy or joyous word from you.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I am just not sure of what you mean.

Mostly anyone will be offended by some of that, won't we?

In any case, mostly I do not believe that avoidance is a solution to anything.

We Never Know

No Slack
I am just not sure of what you mean.

Mostly anyone will be offended by some of that, won't we?

In any case, mostly I do not believe that avoidance is a solution to anything.

I don't think anyone should be offended by any of it. Different opinions, beliefs and thoughts aren't worth getting offended over.