• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You Mutable or Immutable?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Sit down (okay, since you're in front of a screen, chances are that you already are sitting) and close your eyes...

...well not this very second. wait til you're done reading the OP.

Think of what "I" is to you in its most basic sense. Drop anything that isn't "I". Eliminate anything that is not intrinsic to experience or perception. Drop anything that is not the experiencer.

Is your "I", it its most basic sense, mutable (subject to change) or immutable (unchanging in nature; constant)?

How do you know this?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sit down (okay, since you're in front of a screen, chances are that you already are sitting) and close your eyes...

Think of what "I" is to you in its most basic sense. Drop anything that isn't "I". Eliminate anything that is not intrinsic to experience or perception. Drop anything that is not the experiencer.

Is your "I", it its most basic sense, mutable (subject to change) or immutable (unchanging in nature; constant)?

How do you know this?
Ego or "I" is mutable :) even fully removable

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

How do you know this?

I am i but i change every day, new experience forges a new, often, but not always, improved i. Yes mutable

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So for you, the "I" is the same as ego? When it is removed, you cease to experience? You cease to be?
The notion of a self/ego/I, do end when the ego has been let go of yes.
Experiences is still there, highen even in senses, but there is no clinging to it.
Example from the past when someone ridicule ideas, belief, views and opinion held by Amanaki, the response with anger, frustration and so on is no longer a part of it.
Selfless (can of course be fragments of self in form left) means that yes the message is read, observed then either a friendly response will come, or the comment is left alone. No need to cling to some negativity written or said by someone else. The message is their views, opinion or ego.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
What is it in your person that changes?
The truest answer I can think of is simply everything, although moment to moment it is usually not perceptible by myself or others. But to somewhat reiterate - what we call "I" is a useful label to refer to this swirling energy/matter episode.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Mutable. Observation is not an energetically passive process. Observing or being observed causes change.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What is it in your "I" that changes?

Oh, an easy one...

Trivial things that accumulate, one example, associated with RF.
Yesterday i had no idea if @popeadope was alive and kicking or languishing on death row. Today i know he's safe under the name of @Spiderman. That eases my mind a little.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If there is no "I" to experience these experiences, how do you know that the experiences are still there?
The being who in the past identified as Amanaki ( the living being in body) still live but do not cling to a certain identity. So consciously knowing that a message is revieved is there. The experience of reading/hearing the message is there.
But no matter what the message is, there is no feeling of " oh that is making "me" feel good or bad angry or sad. It is just an opinion send by an other being.

Can the feeling of happy be felt? As compassion for others yes.
Can the feeling of Sadness be felt? As compassion for those who suffer yes.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Oh, an easy one...

Yesterday i had no idea if @popeadope was alive and kicking or languishing on death row. Today i know he's safe under the name of @Spiderman. That eases my mind a little.
Very good example of compassion for someone who has been missing :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
@SalixIncendium

What do you think? (Currently ;) )

If you don't mind, I'd like to hold off on answering for a couple of reasons:

I don't want it to be assumed I started this thread so I can impose my own views.

I kind of want to hear others thoughts without any influence of my personal perspective so members' posts are not influenced by what they think I want to hear.

If you want a preview, I can drop you a PM...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, an easy one...

So to you, knowledge is "I"? If you didn't have this knowledge, does the "I" cease to be?