1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you more of hedonist or stoic in real life?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sunstone, Feb 8, 2005.

?
  1. Hedonist

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Stoic

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. A balance between the two

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Neither fits me

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. jewscout

jewscout Religious Zionist

Ratings:
    +922
    Very true Jeremiah...
    I feel the point is to show you can be a screw up but if you try hard to be a better person you can still be a righteous man...
    I like David...he was pimp!:D

2. anders

anders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +167
    I still don't know what to vote. If "sensual pleasures" can be taken as including "suddenly realizing that you finally know how to use a certain grammatical feature in the language that you are studying", I'm firmly in the hedonist camp.

I'm not exactly a submissive, but "a Stoic achieves happiness by submission to destiny", if interpreted as "being quite content to accept natural laws", clearly defines me as a stoic.

3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +558
    Definitely somewhere in the middle for me.

4. Circle_One

Circle_One Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,292
    Religion:
    Kemetic Recontructionist
    Hedonism does not result in purely sensual pleasure, as has been stated. It is the pursuit of all pleasures.

Dictionary.com definition:

1. Pursuit of or devotion to pleasure, especially to the pleasures of the senses.
    2. Philosophy. The ethical doctrine holding that only what is pleasant or has pleasant consequences is intrinsically good.

3. Psychology. The doctrine holding that behavior is motivated by the desire for pleasure and the avoidance of pain.

5. Reverend Jeremiah

Ratings:
    +9

6. jewscout

jewscout Religious Zionist

Ratings:
    +922
    something like that...what can i say...it's good to be the king:D

I think David is an example of someone who mucks up and can still be considered a righteous man, giving hope to all us muck ups out there. I mean Noah was a drunk, Moses had a speach impedement and was very self conscious...most of the Torah figures have something wrong with them...i think it makes them more human...

7. michel

michel Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,655
    The computer (who is never wrong) says that a stoic is :-

a member of the ancient Greek school of philosophy founded by Zeno; "a Stoic achieves happiness by submission to destiny"

Doesn't 'submission to destiny' qualify that person to be an exestentialist?
    I don't think submission has been taken in the correct sense; surely here, we could replace submission with acceptance?:)

8. lilithu

lilithu The Devil's Advocate

Ratings:
    +1,858
    Definately more of a Stoic... tho I'm not always good at it. :p

9. Sava

Sava Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Neither consistently, but both extremely.

• Like Like x 1
  10. croak

croak Trickster

Ratings:
    +211
    I think I'm in the middle...........................I do like having fun, but not 100% of the time.

11. groovydancer88

groovydancer88 Active Member

Ratings:
    +34
    I think in a way, by the definition presented earlier on this thread, we're ALL hedonists to some extent. Seeking pleasure is what we are constantly doing, every second of our lives. Everything we do, we do because we WANT to. Even if it is an 'unselfish' act, even if it doesn't make us happy, it is the action that we will our bodies to do. In a sense, everything we do, we do to please ourselves.

Technically speaking.

That ignored, I don't do that much to seek pleasure for myself... I mostly try to make what happens to me pleasing, if that makes sense. So I'm kind of neither.