• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you more of hedonist or stoic in real life?

Are you more of a hedonist or a stoic?

• Hedonist

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Stoic

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • A balance between the two

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Neither fits me

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In your real life, are you more of a hedonist or a stoic? Or do you have an interesting mix of the two extremes? What do you think?

robtex

Veteran Member
I thought the opposite of stoic would be emotional and the opposite of hedonistic would be one who shys away from pleasure ? I am not getting the question.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
robtex said:
I thought the opposite of stoic would be emotional and the opposite of hedonistic would be one who shys away from pleasure ? I am not getting the question.
That's a good question, Robtex. I was thinking of the ancient philosophers when I posed the question, rather than thinking of the modern day meanings of "stoic" and "hedonist". I think it's easier to see them as two extremes on a continum if you think of the ancients.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am more stoic than hedonist ; although I think that when the hedonist in me does rear it's head, it makes the most of it!:)

croak

Trickster
Am I the only one who does not understand head or tail of the question?!

Someone please explain. I've only been 14 for less than 1 month.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
RearingArabian said:

To be stoic is to be indifferent to passion and emotion (including pleasure). To be hedonistic is to pursue pleasure as the highest good in life.

As Robtex pointed out earlier, the two things are not precise opposites.

No*s

Captain Obvious
I definately fall on the Stoic side. Heck, I accept most of the philisophical principles expressed in Stoicism. I shall have to reaquaint myself with my old friend Seneca again tonight :).

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
RearingArabian said:

Stoic [stəʊɪk]Anoun1 Stoic
a member of the ancient Greek school of philosophy founded by Zeno; "a Stoic achieves happiness by submission to destiny" Category Tree: entity ╚object; physical_object ╚living_thing; animate_thing ╚organism; being ╚person; individual; someone; somebody; mortal; human; soul ╚intellectual; intellect ╚scholar; scholarly_person; student ╚philosopher ╚Stoic

2 stoic, unemotional_person
someone who is seemingly indifferent to emotions hedonist Anoun1 hedonist, pleasure_seeker
someone motivated by desires for sensual pleasures Category Tree: entity ╚object; physical_object ╚living_thing; animate_thing ╚organism; being ╚person; individual; someone; somebody; mortal; human; soul ╚sensualist ╚hedonist, pleasure_seeker ╚playboy; man-about-town; Corinthian

:) Category Tree: entity ╚object; physical_object ╚living_thing; animate_thing ╚organism; being ╚person; individual; someone; somebody; mortal; human; soul ╚adult; grownup ╚stoic, unemotional_person

No*s said:
I definately fall on the Stoic side. Heck, I accept most of the philisophical principles expressed in Stoicism. I shall have to reaquaint myself with my old friend Seneca again tonight :).
Im not suprised, as your religious choice follows, stoics in my opinion originally started the orthodoxy... respectful considered.

besides...If every body acted the same, the world would be a boring place. A couple of stoics, a couple of hedonists.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Reverend Jeremiah said:
Im not suprised, as your religious choice follows, stoics in my opinion originally started the orthodoxy... respectful considered.

No offense taken :).There's a degree of truth to this, though I wouldn't go nearly so far as "started." There's a lot of common teachings between us, and the ancient Stoics said a lot of good things.

Reverend Jeremiah said:
besides...If every body acted the same, the world would be a boring place. A couple of stoics, a couple of hedonists.

You do realize, of course, that my sole purpose in the world is to make everyone a robot :D.