• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you going to vote Libertarian Nov 7

Are you going to vote Libertarian Nov 7 ?

• YES - I thumb my nose at the Big Two. :D

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes - If I believe the Libertarian candidate is the best choice.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No - I'd like to, but I feel like I'd be 'wasting' my vote.:o

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Tired of Corruption? Give Libertarians a Chance!
...While most recent polling indicates that Americans tend to trust the Democrats more than the Republicans this election cycle, USA Today reported "…a Washington Post/ABC News poll found that 75% believed the Democrats would have botched the Foley matter had he been one of theirs."...

Source

As has been pointed out, American politics is largely controlled by the Democrat & Republican parties, and they have been complicit in settings election rules to make it extremely difficult for a third party to gain a foothold.

A quick review of American History shows that many times a third party has managed to get its message out, one of the big two comes along and steals their issue.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from other Libertarians and/or those who think they might be Libertarians.

Booko

Deviled Hen
CaptainXeroid said:
As has been pointed out, American politics is largely controlled by the Democrat & Republican parties, and they have been complicit in settings election rules to make it extremely difficult for a third party to gain a foothold.

This has been especially so since Ross Perot took so much of a percentage in a Presidential election. The 2 parties took notice, and together they took action.

I guess there is a spirit of bipartisanship out there -- when it comes to ensuring the bipartisan lock political discourse in this country. :sarcastic

Anyway, I'd like to hear from other Libertarians and/or those who think they might be Libertarians.

I suspect many of the "small-gov't" Republicans would have more resonance with a conservative or moderate Libertarian view, if they only knew what the Libertarian Party stood for.

For those of us living in Atlanta who need to listen to decent morning traffic reports, it's kind of hard to miss, since Neal Boortz' radio show is on then.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
nutshell said:
I might be a libertarian...can you give me a quick run down of their beliefs?
Here's their platform adopted July 2, 2006. In a nutshell(sorry I couldn't resist), the Libertarian Party advocates personal liberties and a reduction of the pervasiveness of government from people's lives.

Click here for their 'Are you a Libertarian?' quiz. Yes, it is vastly oversimplified, but I think it's good food for thought.

I'm can't say I agree with ALL their positions, but I find myself agreeing more often than I do with the Big Two.

Booko

Deviled Hen
CaptainXeroid said:
http://www.lp.org/issues/platform_all.shtmlI'm can't say I agree with ALL their positions, but I find myself agreeing more often than I do with the Big Two.

We have a rising number of good Libertarian candidates on the local level here in Georgia, which I view as largely a good thing. I like anything that keeps the Big Two from getting cocky. ;)

I wonder how this mid-term election will pan out for 3rd parties generally? I never bought into the "3rd party is wasting your vote" nonsense. Wasting my vote is voting for someone who is corrupt, incompetent, pandering, and unworthy of the office. :149:

But with the current "Throw the bums out" atmosphere, which does seem to run pretty deep no matter where people are in the country, do you think there will be less inclination than usual to vote 3rd party? Because to do so this time is pretty much to "keep the bums in," regardless of what political party they belong to.

nutshell

CaptainXeroid said:
Here's their platform adopted July 2, 2006. In a nutshell(sorry I couldn't resist), the Libertarian Party advocates personal liberties and a reduction of the pervasiveness of government from people's lives.

Click here for their 'Are you a Libertarian?' quiz. Yes, it is vastly oversimplified, but I think it's good food for thought.

I'm can't say I agree with ALL their positions, but I find myself agreeing more often than I do with the Big Two.

Interesting quiz. Apparently, I'm a Centrist, leaning slightly to the left.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CENTRISTS[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] espouse a "middle ground" regarding government[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]control of the economy and personal behavior. Depending on[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the issue, they sometimes favor government intervention[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]and sometimes support individual freedom of choice.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Centrists pride themselves on keeping an open mind,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]tend to oppose "political extremes," and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]emphasize what[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]they describe as "practical" solutions to problems[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The RED DOT on the Chart shows where you fit on the political map.[/FONT]
draw.php

Booko

Deviled Hen
nutshell said:
Interesting quiz. Apparently, I'm a Centrist, leaning slightly to the left.
That's where I typically end up too. Centrist leaning left and libertarian.

I think the left leaning part has a lot to do with my generaly social libertarian views.

I may be very conservative in my own sense of mores, but its not my business to impose that on everyone else unless there's some overriding harm to society.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Realizing the quiz's limitations...:D, I can't say I'm surprised. If the quiz had more than 3 choices, I probably wouldn't have been that far into Libertarian territory.
Booko said:
...I never bought into the "3rd party is wasting your vote" nonsense. Wasting my vote is voting for someone who is corrupt, incompetent, pandering, and unworthy of the office...
:clap Well stated and I concur! I've heard many people use the 'wasting your vote' thing to discourage third party voters.

I think it will be very interesting to see how the Libertarians do. With the 'throw the bums out' sentiment running high, perhaps more voters will be inclined to vote third party. Since incumbents are usually re-elected at a 90% clip, some people might see such a vote as a way to voice displeasure without voting for a 'lesser of 2 evils'.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
http://www.lp.org/issues/platform_all.shtml#sexgend

Repeal the federal Defense of Marriage Act and state laws and amendments defining marriage. Oppose any new laws or Constitutional amendments defining terms for personal, private relationships. Repeal any state or federal law assigning special benefits to people based on marital status, family structure, sexual orientation or gender identification. Repeal any state or federal laws denying same-sex partners rights enjoyed by others, such as adoption of children and spousal immigration. End the Defense Department practice of discharging armed forces personnel for sexual orientation. Upgrade all less-than-honorable discharges previously assigned solely for such reasons to honorable status, and delete related information from military personnel files. Repeal all laws discriminating by gender, such as protective labor laws and marriage, divorce, and custody laws which deny the full rights of each individual.
I would support who believed such as this. But there are no Libertarians running for office in VA.

Zephyr

Moved on
I'll have to catch it next year. Unfortunately I won't be quite old enough to vote, although I sympathize with nearly all of the party's beliefs.

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
I will be voting Libertarian because their candidates are the most honest and principled. They are also the most in line with what I believe about freedom and personal responsibility.

YamiB.

Well I don't think that I will be able to vote in this election. Though I think the Liberterian canidate would be my first choice.

I am fairly sure that my registration has not gone through. Though I put in my first registration back in 2005 in time for the governor election. It didn't go through then because they had to many registrations come in, so I was unable to vote then for the Green canidate as I would have. I guess they never processed it and it is too close to the election now to send in another one.

Booko

Deviled Hen
YamiB. said:
I am fairly sure that my registration has not gone through. Though I put in my first registration back in 2005 in time for the governor election. It didn't go through then because they had to many registrations come in, so I was unable to vote then for the Green canidate as I would have. I guess they never processed it and it is too close to the election now to send in another one.

Wow...what do they do in NJ??? That could never happen here -- you'd be able to vote provisionally at the very least and they'd deal with paperwork later. If you turn in your registration by the deadline, they can't stop you from voting, just because they're slow. :eek:

Have you called the Elections Office in your county and asked if you're registered? You might actually be. It would be worth the call, really.

shema

I just got a new revalation, Im actually a libertarian.:cover: I had considered myself a conservative democrat all this time wow. But Im going to vote for the candidate that focused more on the issues that matter. and has a proven record to stick with them.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
I'm voting Libertarian, even though I'm now living in Sweden. Perhaps especially now that I live in Sweden and see just how bad big government can be for businesses and the job market.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Unedited

I'm voting definately voting Libertarian. We have some great Libertarian canidates running in Kansas this year. I'm all excited for it since it'll be my first time voting.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Fascinating. I was just telling a co-worker the other day that I have seen people coming out all over the place as Libertarians. Although 2006 may be too early, 2008 may well prove to be the first year that Libertarians make a real impact in the electoral process.

CaptainXeroid said:

I failed this quiz. :D I missed the target to the Left!

Yeah, I can see you being a Libertarian.

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Keep in mind that the Republican party started as a third party, striking at just the right time. Rare is it for a third party to fare so well in American politics--we've pretty much been a two-party system since the beginning--but they represent the biggest exception to that rule.

Flash forward to the future, where we see that same Republican party having long left its noble ideas in the dust, and its Democratic counterpart serving as its lone--and allegedly ineffective--counterpart. The field is ripe, it seems; the question, now, is how to introduce a third party.

The way I see it, it has to be done one step, one level at a time. Instead of attempting to introduce themselves wholesale, or straight into the presidential election, the Libertarians should market themselves into a few select Congressional races where they have a real shot at actually winning some seats. Once they get some representatives into Congress, expand their base, and go for the next step: the Senate. Finally, go for the grand prize: the presidency. This could take as many as 20 years or as few as four, but I think, I personally think there's a shot it would work. Not to guarantee its success, but I believe it can happen.

Other parties, are you taking notes? ;)

SquareC

I'm apparently a Liberal Libertarian and didn't know it. Well, I knew the Liberal part. I have strong beliefs in personal liberty, but not as strong on the economic end of things.