• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You Free?

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
A person might be completely 'free', but if they need to use that freedom securing food and shelter every day, then in practical terms their freedom is constrained.
I spent $7.50 on a burrito today. I didn't have to hunt, forage or search very far for my lunch. I'm currently living in a garage. Now that sounds pretty bad, but the truth is it's quite alright. I have a bed, a floor heater, internet connection, bathroom facilities and more. Expectations are possibly our worst enemy. How much do we need to be happy and comfortable?

I mean, was I free to do all these things? Yes...absolutely. But the costs varied, and this does impact on freedom of choice to some degree, I believe.
I understand what you are saying, and culture can act as a cage.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
How do you define freedom?

Do you consider yourself free?

(a short video if you care to watch)

No one can be truly free and live in the civilised world, have a family, have friends, there are constraints.

However, i am as free as i want to be within the limits of those constraints.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Freedom is just an airy concept, and one that cannot actually be applied to humans - being that we are bound via several constraints in life, with a few being rather necessary and not removable. We can be more or less free in many ways (of certain constraints) but not ultimately free.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Physically, nobody is absolutely free. See the wonderful Universe? You can't go anywhere in it, you're chained to this tiny fleck of dust....... not free.

But in heart and mind I have some freedom, enough to be happy. :)

I hope you have a brilliant new life, now that you are single.... :)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
While I am restricted by physical laws and my choices are determined by things outside of my control, I am ultimately experiencing life as a self-contained entity who "owns" choices--and since ultimately there is no separation between me and the rest of the Universe, I may as well own the choices.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Hello

8F22D036-51BC-40B1-803B-E5EEE1DE2F55.jpeg

I think spiritual freedom is an ideal. It may not entirely be achievable, but it can be something to strive towards (for some).

As to whether I feel free in a more worldly sense; I’d have to say yes. For, though I must sell my skills to feed and shelter myself and, therefore don't own all of my time...,

...I am lucky not to have addictions and/or excessive wants that enslave me, and...

...lucky that I was raised free to:
  • read what I wanted
  • think critically
  • question the assumed
  • go my own way
  • make mistakes
  • solve dilemmas I’d create for myself
  • return for feed-back
  • change my mind
  • ask for help (without being made to feel bad about it)
  • etc

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well there's no true freedom to be had so I think there are parameters based on ones sense of comfort and automony that defines freedom.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

(a short video if you care to watch)
Yes i am free. That is maybe a bold statement because there are so many aspects of life, realizing that I was my self the hindrance to being free i saw that in my life i was relying on others to make me feel some form of comfort, i did not see who I am, i only saw what others told me that i should be.

Now i see who this person Amanaki is, its a free person who took life back and now deside my self what is right to do personally.