• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you considered a NERD?

Dezzie

Nerd? Why, certainly! When I was around 12, most of the kids in my street would be kicking a football around the streets. Where was I? Out collecting fossil brachiopods from the local woodland. And I even knew what a brachiopod was...

haha That brought back some memories. I actually volunteered to do an extra credit activity after school for my Science class in 9th grade. We didn't search for fossils but we took samples from rivers and mud for research on like bacteria or something. It was actually kind of fun... I'm glad I did it too because it helped my grade a lot. I don't know why your mention of brachiopods made me think of this but... whatever. :p

Dezzie

Don't. It's not worth it. It has only gotten progressively worse with each expansion. I would recommend checking out the Eve Online free 14 day trial. ;)

It's not progressively worse. lol Cataclysm is the best expansion. They made all the right changes. I love WoW but I try not to play it all the time. My Husband is so much worse than me. He could play for hours... I can't do that.

Dezzie

I get starry eyed in Pier One, Lowes, and TJ Maxx.

School always bored me to tears. That's why I always had a book inside my textbook or hidden in my lap. I don't know how I actually learned anything in class. It's a good thing I liked non fiction.

I guess I sort of pieced together my own education - in spite of being interrupted occasionally by my teacher, or having to put aside my book about ancient Egypt, psychology, or medical terminology to do my homework assignment on the capitols of each state.

This was back in the day - we had to go to the library rather than get online. I was checking out 7-10 books a week. Had to get a special permission pass to check out more than the maximum allowed. I read every waking minute - even at the dinner table if my parents were feeling particularly magnanimous. At the busstop, on the bus, till 2 am by the hall light, in the bathtub, etc. My parents had to practically push me out the door on the weekends and after school to make me play outside -though once I got out there, I loved it.

My mom saved all my gradeschool report cards and there are numerous comments along the lines of, "If Melanie would read her homework assignments as diligently as she reads the biographies of Henry VIIs wives, she'd have better grades in her government class!"

So - in a sense I was a nerd, if by that you mean the girl with her nose in a book constantly.

The cool thing is - just a few years ago, I found out something really touching about my great grandmother. My grandmother told me that they were very poor dirt farmers in southwest Arkansas, and she remembers her mother packing the men a lunch every day and walking about a mile each way to take it to them. She would put the food in two pails, and put one over each arm. Then she would grab her book, and read it all the way there, and all the way back. She knew the trail so well that she didn't even have to look up.

This was one of the few opportunities in her day or week that she could grab to read - and she loved reading with a passion.

She passed that to my grandmother, and my dad, and to me, my oldest daughter, and now her oldest daughter.

I think that's awesome.

I swear... I seriously look up to you. :bow: I used to read so much as a kid. I don't read anymore but I still buy books all the time. I wish I still read as much as I used too. I used to love the school library. You have inspired me to start reading again... I think I may just pick up my Anatomy book now...

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I swear... I seriously look up to you. :bow: I used to read so much as a kid. I don't read anymore but I still buy books all the time. I wish I still read as much as I used too. I used to love the school library. You have inspired me to start reading again... I think I may just pick up my Anatomy book now...
I love anatomy!!! Of course it's part of my profession so I guess I'm still kinda nerdy.

astarath

I read manga, love comics, am on my computer ALOT. Yes indeed I seem to have all the makings of a decent nerd.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Well, before you get too starry eyed about me or my reading ;) just let me tell you that I recently bought and read a fiction book by Nicole Ritchie. And enjoyed it.

:D

But I do encourage you to pick up reading again. My husband had mercy on my bank account and bookshelves and bought me a Kindle - and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Thanks for making my day.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Usually on forums where intelligent debate goes on, I find that a lot of the members have little/no interest sports, partying, or physical activity. They are considered nerds because everything is just about intelligence and nothing else. So are you a nerd?
I'm a semi nerd, but I'm very physically active (being a Fitness Trainer) and love almost all sports.
Eh, I've never really fallen into any one category. In middle school and high school when these labels existed, I had nerdy friends, popular friends, athletic friends, goth/punk friends, etc. And ever since I got to college and past college into the work place, these labels have essentially lost applicability.

I've always been interested in things like science, fiction, fantasy, video games, card games like Magic, I tried DnD but never really got into it, etc. But I've also always been physically fit and sociable. Partying doesn't interest me but in college I went to a few parties and to the bar with friends occasionally just to maintain a reasonable degree of contact. I am quite quiet and introverted and don't like to do too many social things, but I am pretty social with people, co-workers, public speaking, when I'm with people. So I have the ability but not really the interest.

Over time my interest in video games and other games has mostly dissipated, except I plan to get the next Zelda game when it comes out for Wii.