• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you considered a NERD?

Alceste

Vagabond
Usually on forums where intelligent debate goes on, I find that a lot of the members have little/no interest sports, partying, or physical activity. They are considered nerds because everything is just about intelligence and nothing else. So are you a nerd?
I'm a semi nerd, but I'm very physically active (being a Fitness Trainer) and love almost all sports.

I was a de facto nerd in school. IOW, I never cracked a text book on my own time, did homework or studied except for five morning minutes while the home-room teacher took attendance. Nevertheless I got better grades than nearly everyone. I was therefore the subject of various unjustified nerd-related accusations. I'm not a nerd, but I have a high IQ, so they say. It drives me to pursue every topic from belly dancing to M-theory, and there's not much I can to about it.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I was a de facto nerd in school. IOW, I never cracked a text book on my own time, did homework or studied except for five morning minutes while the home-room teacher took attendance. Nevertheless I got better grades than nearly everyone. I was therefore the subject of various unjustified nerd-related accusations. I'm not a nerd, but I have a high IQ, so they say. It drives me to pursue every topic from belly dancing to M-theory, and there's not much I can to about it.

This is what I meant about being too smart to be a nerd.

Alceste

Vagabond
This is what I meant about being too smart to be a nerd.

I suppose so. :D

For the record, I did track and field, competitive diving and volleyball, and I didn't do band. Also, by grade 12 I was not only not studying or doing homework, I was also skipping more than half of my classes. As a general rule, I only showed up for exams.

None of that was enough to shake my reputation as a four-star study nerd.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I did band, chess club, science club, wore thick glasses (yes coke bottle), read comic books, and was a star gazer. I still play music (piano), still am enamored with science and astronomy, but don't have the glasses anymore and am involved in sports as well as bodybuilding.
Lol, my wife is a nerd. She likes to walk through Staples and Office depot to look at all the stationary and supplies.

Alceste

Vagabond
I did band, chess club, science club, wore thick glasses (yes coke bottle), read comic books, and was a star gazer. I still play music (piano), still am enamored with science and astronomy, but don't have the glasses anymore and am involved in sports as well as bodybuilding.
Lol, my wife is a nerd. She likes to walk through Staples and Office depot to look at all the stationary and supplies.

Lol. I get a bit starry eyed in the office supply store myself. And Radio Shack.

I dunno... I don't know if I could consider even the label 'jock' and 'nerd' as even applicable anymore. I guess I would be a geek, but my intelligence is quite average. I don't really have many talents; I can read, but that's about it. I'm not strong; I have always been weak in sports...

And yet, secretly, in a parallel universe, I wanted to build up my strength, and be a boxer like my dad was. Nothing more brutal, more controversial, more thrilling, than a good boxing match. Football is okay too, and I love the game.

So I don't announce that very loudly... I don't want people thinking I'm some sportsnut or uncouth or anything like that!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I get starry eyed in Pier One, Lowes, and TJ Maxx.

School always bored me to tears. That's why I always had a book inside my textbook or hidden in my lap. I don't know how I actually learned anything in class. It's a good thing I liked non fiction.

I guess I sort of pieced together my own education - in spite of being interrupted occasionally by my teacher, or having to put aside my book about ancient Egypt, psychology, or medical terminology to do my homework assignment on the capitols of each state.

This was back in the day - we had to go to the library rather than get online. I was checking out 7-10 books a week. Had to get a special permission pass to check out more than the maximum allowed. I read every waking minute - even at the dinner table if my parents were feeling particularly magnanimous. At the busstop, on the bus, till 2 am by the hall light, in the bathtub, etc. My parents had to practically push me out the door on the weekends and after school to make me play outside -though once I got out there, I loved it.

My mom saved all my gradeschool report cards and there are numerous comments along the lines of, "If Melanie would read her homework assignments as diligently as she reads the biographies of Henry VIIs wives, she'd have better grades in her government class!"

So - in a sense I was a nerd, if by that you mean the girl with her nose in a book constantly.

The cool thing is - just a few years ago, I found out something really touching about my great grandmother. My grandmother told me that they were very poor dirt farmers in southwest Arkansas, and she remembers her mother packing the men a lunch every day and walking about a mile each way to take it to them. She would put the food in two pails, and put one over each arm. Then she would grab her book, and read it all the way there, and all the way back. She knew the trail so well that she didn't even have to look up.

This was one of the few opportunities in her day or week that she could grab to read - and she loved reading with a passion.

She passed that to my grandmother, and my dad, and to me, my oldest daughter, and now her oldest daughter.

I think that's awesome.

Erebus

Well, there is Guild Wars (and BTW, the sequel looks incredible), which you only have to pay for once and has absolutely no monthly payments or anything like that. Would that count?

Hmmm, I was never interested in the first one, but I'll keep an eye out for the sequel. Thanks :)

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I am the king of nerds- Star Wars, Harry Potter, Tolkein, Narnia, Philosophy, religious texts, trading cards, anime, video games, the list can go on.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
...and I enjoy fighting with a broadsword; ...
Wait... wait... what? :eek:

Like SCA kind of fighting? You may enjoy Kendo! :D

Ya, I've always been considered pretty nerdy, except I was pretty heavily into Martial Arts, back in the day. Before it was cool. Wait... does that make me even more nerdy? :confused:

Erebus

Don't. It's not worth it. It has only gotten progressively worse with each expansion. I would recommend checking out the Eve Online free 14 day trial. ;)

Bah! Don't tempt me with your free trials, I'm not going to be lured by that Siren's song... again...

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Not into video games or fantasy RPG's. But I am a beer geek/snob. An information nerd. And am often accused of being a "freaking hippie intellectual".
But I also love to hike, camp, fish, party (though rarely as I get older), and generally enjoy life.